L2k3 Memory Question

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Dawg Rivers

L2k3 Memory Question

Post by Dawg Rivers »

I am running Windows 10, 16GB of memory and an Nvidia 1060 with 6GB of memory.
Game runs pretty good, occasional crash but nothing that bad..(running in Windows XP sp3 mode)

Question.. the games says I only have 1gb of memory.. I am assuming that is because when this game was current we weren't running with Gigbytes of memory like today. Or is there something I can change in the links registry settings to allow it to see more memory. Just curious about this tho like I said the game seems to be fine.
pmgolf

Re: L2k3 Memory Question

Post by pmgolf »

It says the same thing for me, and I have a Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti with 4 gb of VRAM along with 16 gb of DRAM, but it is a 2003 game - so what are you going to believe? It runs good for me, too. The company that made it is gone, Microsoft, who bought it, sold it quite a while ago. That company dropped it. If that problem really bothers you, you could always quit playing it.

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Dawg Rivers wrote: December 7th, 2019, 1:00 am (running in Windows XP sp3 mode)
Why are you using a compatibility mode?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Still Linksing wrote: December 7th, 2019, 2:28 am
Possibly, like me, when he couldn't get L2003 to run in Win10 or had various other issues he used the Compatibility Troubleshooter and that is the selection that worked.
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Captain Nemo wrote: December 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm
Still Linksing wrote: December 7th, 2019, 2:28 am
Possibly, like me, when he couldn't get L2003 to run in Win10 or had various other issues he used the Compatibility Troubleshooter and that is the selection that worked.
Yeah, that's fine if that's the case. I'm just checking he has tried to run it without compatibility settings first.
Just out of curiosity, what problem do you have if you don't run compatibility settings?
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Dawg Rivers

Post by Dawg Rivers »

Well it would not start up so I immediately switched it to Winxp sp 3. I just recently reinstalled it to a SS Drive so I just reset the settings to what it was before. I see lots of people say to run it in Winxp sp3 mode. Are you running it in straight Windows 10?
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

still linksing: A little background.
I already had 2 Laptops that would not run Links because they both defaulted to the onboard intel video card, even though the dedicated Nvidia card was selected. This was a much discussed and known problem in the early Win 10 days (with no solution forthcoming). No problem for me, at the time, because my 13 year old XP Desktop was still hanging in; so I could continue to play on that machine. Fortunately, when that unit died last year. Someone had posted the specs for a Desktop PC that would (with some tweaking) run Links. So I made sure my new Desktop met those specs. Even then, initially, I had the identical Links problem that occurred with the Intel card on the Laptops, which was game would freeze @ intro screen. However, as mentioned previously the Troubleshooter selected the XPsp3 Setting and I was good to go with the new Desktop.
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Just to add to the data pool, I run without any compatibility mode on win 10 laptop with no significant issues. dgVoodoo2 was required to fix major graphical glitches but I think I remember the game ran and was technically playable even before installing that, albeit graphically unenjoyable. To me all the fuss about win10 has always seemed overblown, Im no big fan of windows 10 but I certainly havent been a big fan of any windows OS ever, so... I get that it can occasionally cause issues but seems like a lot of people just default to blaming win 10 even when the real problem is just as likely something else. Graphics card and driver compatibility seems like a much bigger issue to me at least with Links. But hey not that I really know a ton about it, just my impression -shrugs-
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Dawg Rivers wrote: December 7th, 2019, 6:23 pm I see lots of people say to run it in Winxp sp3 mode. Are you running it in straight Windows 10?
My install and running procedure for a completely problem free Links.
1. Install game
2. Install 1.07 patch
3. Install career mode fix

Have no issues. Could set my screen resolution through the game itself. Runs identical to having it on an XP system.

I'm just trying to grasp if it is common for people to be needing compatibility settings using Win 10. Some games many users do need it, some games they don't. Appears Links may be one that does need compatibility settings for quite a few people.

Regarding your initial question, I haven't had a chance to check my install but I wouldn't rely on what the game is telling you through that screen. It should be using either all the memory on your system or the max memory the game is capable of using.
Captain Nemo wrote: December 7th, 2019, 8:46 pm still linksing: A little background.
Thanks Captain, provides some insight.
Adelade wrote: December 7th, 2019, 9:45 pm To me all the fuss about win10 has always seemed overblown, Im no big fan of windows 10 but I certainly havent been a big fan of any windows OS ever, so... I get that it can occasionally cause issues but seems like a lot of people just default to blaming win 10 even when the real problem is just as likely something else.
Yes and no. Majority of computer users are clueless so a large portion of problems are user created same as on any other OS. However, Win 10 does create many issues. For example, PGA 2000, all animations in the game no longer display properly after an update. Every report I have found confirms the same behavior from every user. Racing sims, a ton of games lost the ability to use AA after an update. This wasn't for some users, this was for every single user of those games. These are just a couple of examples. Win 10 is wiping out old games.
There are then other issues with the operating system and how it works. Win 10 very definitely is like no other OS. I have never complained about or had any problems with past OS's. Heck, I even used Win ME and had none of the problems people moaned about and quite liked it.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Adelade,
Give you another example of Win 10.
It's update system updates automatically and without user authority. When it updates, it updates EVERYTHING, including the drivers for your hardware ie graphics card drivers. When it comes to games, a new driver version may not work with a particular game. So no, it's not a Win 10 problem but then again it is as Win 10 forced those new drivers on the user.
One day a new set of drivers may be released that won't work with Links. This place will light up like a Christmas tree!

I'm finding my way around all the potential future problems and how Win 10 works and how to control it. I like my old games, intend to play them till I'm no longer here. So far only Links 2000 and Links 2001 (hardware mode) I can't run perfectly on my new system. I've beaten Win 10 at everything else but it has taken some work. I still have avenues to explore like VM's with those 2 games.

Oh, TW2003 has issues but I'm not going to even bother trying to fix it.
Golf Sim Clubhouse