L2k3 Memory Question

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
gator

Re: L2k3 Memory Question

Post by gator »

Still Linksing wrote: December 7th, 2019, 10:25 pm Regarding your initial question, I haven't had a chance to check my install but I wouldn't rely on what the game is telling you through that screen. It should be using either all the memory on your system or the max memory the game is capable of using.
Is it possible that Links is somehow limited by the OS you are running it in compatibility mode for? The reason I ask, I have a Win10 laptop with 16GB of RAM and the game is using the onboard AMD graphics chip. When I run it in WinXP sp3 compatibility, Links reports 1GB memory. When I run it in Win7 compatibility, Links reports 1GB memory. Finally, when I remove any compatibility and run it in Win10, Links reports 3GB memory.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

gator wrote: December 7th, 2019, 11:15 pm
Still Linksing wrote: December 7th, 2019, 10:25 pm Regarding your initial question, I haven't had a chance to check my install but I wouldn't rely on what the game is telling you through that screen. It should be using either all the memory on your system or the max memory the game is capable of using.
Is it possible that Links is somehow limited by the OS you are running it in compatibility mode for? The reason I ask, I have a Win10 laptop with 16GB of RAM and the game is using the onboard AMD graphics chip. When I run it in WinXP sp3 compatibility, Links reports 1GB memory. When I run it in Win7 compatibility, Links reports 1GB memory. Finally, when I remove any compatibility and run it in Win10, Links reports 3GB memory.
I just did a quick check and I think it is safe to say the memory the game reports can be completely ignored as the system is simply beyond understanding modern ram. I have 32gig of ram. On my system:

Links 2003 reports 2gb
Links 2001 reports 1gb

System specs for Links 2003 ask for 128 megabytes of ram. PC hardware was a looong way behind today's systems when this game was released. The in-game software doesn't recognize such huge quantities of ram.

In your case gator, likely all coincidence that you happen to have a higher number without compatibility modes checked. I have no compatibility modes checked and get 2gb to your 3gb and I have 32gig of ram.

For Links to figure out the ram accurately, I think it's like asking someone who has been solidly drinking for 10 hours to say the alphabet backwards. :thumbup: :laugh: :cheers1:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Going even further, checked my XP system with Links 2000 and 2001 installed.

System has 1gig or 1024mb

Links 2000 reports 1.23 gig
Links 2001 reports 1023.5 mb

Links 2000 isn't correct and Links 2001 reports it correctly.

The system info isn't accurate in Links 2003 with modern hardware. All sorts of random numbers may be thrown out.
1gig of ram has already confused Links 2000 on the XP machine but Links 2001 reports it correctly. This is the machine I used when Links 2001 first came out. Hardware is of the same time period as the game so Links 2001 has managed to report an accurate figure.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Still Linksing wrote: December 7th, 2019, 10:51 pm Adelade,
Give you another example of Win 10.
It's update system updates automatically and without user authority. When it updates, it updates EVERYTHING, including the drivers for your hardware ie graphics card drivers. When it comes to games, a new driver version may not work with a particular game. So no, it's not a Win 10 problem but then again it is as Win 10 forced those new drivers on the user.
One day a new set of drivers may be released that won't work with Links. This place will light up like a Christmas tree!

I'm finding my way around all the potential future problems and how Win 10 works and how to control it. I like my old games, intend to play them till I'm no longer here. So far only Links 2000 and Links 2001 (hardware mode) I can't run perfectly on my new system. I've beaten Win 10 at everything else but it has taken some work. I still have avenues to explore like VM's with those 2 games.

Oh, TW2003 has issues but I'm not going to even bother trying to fix it.
A bit off Topic but the biggest problem I have with Win 10 is whenever it updates it resets all my custom settings to the defaults. This is a nightmare for me as (although I am long retired ) I still do Graphic Design for several of my old customers, So every update my Graphics Programs settings (4 Apps) are reverted back to the Windows10 defaults, so I have to spend the better part of a day setting up the custom settings again. Other games and Apps are also affected, but they are the least of my worries. If I were still in business I would be suing those Microsoft M.othr F.krs up their sleazy slimy butts. Now it is painful, but just another cross I must bear because Win 10 is the only game in town. :surrender:
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Captain Nemo wrote: December 8th, 2019, 2:19 amA bit off Topic but the biggest problem I have with Win 10 is whenever it updates it resets all my custom settings to the defaults. This is a nightmare for me as (although I am long retired ) I still do Graphic Design for several of my old customers, So every update my Graphics Programs settings (4 Apps) are reverted back to the Windows10 defaults, so I have to spend the better part of a day setting up the custom settings again. Other games and Apps are also affected, but they are the least of my worries. If I were still in business I would be suing those Microsoft M.othr F.krs up their sleazy slimy butts. Now it is painful, but just another cross I must bear because Win 10 is the only game in town. :surrender:
The method I posted for turning off updates in the thread below works. If you use this, you will at least be able to control when the updates are applied. This way any issues from updates you can deal with when you are ready to do so.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=130
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yea killing off games sucks big time if it indeed leaves no possible fixes, I havent had personal experience of any old game I couldnt get to work eventually except a single one and I suspect it wasnt necessarily and ultimately the OS' fault there either and intend to try again one day in future sometime. Usually the internet community as a whole comes up with hacks and fixes and the only problem is finding them and/or trying them all until things work. I know you're saying your example games left a void for fixes and I certainly have a massive amount of sympathy for that kinda thing, my point is just that I feel like the problem isnt win 10 but instead Microsoft, and that we would have had the same inevitable issues even if one of the earlier OS was the most recent one. Its possible Im wrong. But Microsoft are set on a world where everyone goes along with updates and I have both taken up and given up that battle long ago and accepted and reconciled with having to put faith in the internet for individual problems.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: December 8th, 2019, 2:33 am
Captain Nemo wrote: December 8th, 2019, 2:19 amA bit off Topic but the biggest problem I have with Win 10 is whenever it updates it resets all my custom settings to the defaults. This is a nightmare for me as (although I am long retired ) I still do Graphic Design for several of my old customers, So every update my Graphics Programs settings (4 Apps) are reverted back to the Windows10 defaults, so I have to spend the better part of a day setting up the custom settings again. Other games and Apps are also affected, but they are the least of my worries. If I were still in business I would be suing those Microsoft M.othr F.krs up their sleazy slimy butts. Now it is painful, but just another cross I must bear because Win 10 is the only game in town. :surrender:
The method I posted for turning off updates in the thread below works. If you use this, you will at least be able to control when the updates are applied. This way any issues from updates you can deal with when you are ready to do so.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=130
Do you happen to know if you can roll Windows 10 back to a time before the last update ?
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Danny D wrote: December 8th, 2019, 6:49 amDo you happen to know if you can roll Windows 10 back to a time before the last update ?
Not sure, haven’t looked into it. I have a full system backup if things go really wrong with a Win 10 update. Rolling back has always been unreliable so I don’t intend to ever go that route.
Golf Sim Clubhouse