Headset

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Daniel

Headset

Post by Daniel »

My friend bought this new Headset Logitec G35 and when plugged in it stopped Links from working as soon as he unplugged them Links started up again with no problems.The error that came up was no 3D exceleration, what that has to do with sound baffles me. I tried all kind of fixes that I know about but nothing worked. Just shows that anything you plug into your PC using Windows 11 can be a disaster as far as Links is concerned. Just posting this incase someone out there as the same Headset and can not get Links to Work,just try a new Headset might be worth a try.
g35 Headset.png
g35 Headset.png (266.25 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
GoBucks

Re: Headset

Post by GoBucks »

Was the headset already plugged in when you tried to start Links, or did you plug it in after Links was already running?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

We tried it plugged in before Links was started Links would not even load, we tried it after Links was started but links crashed once it was plugged in.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Daniel wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:48 pm We tried it plugged in before Links was started Links would not even load, we tried it after Links was started but links crashed once it was plugged in.
Hi Daniel. There has been talk of USB devices that will take up a drive letter on your operating system. Links uses a drive letter when it starts up. If they are all used up and there are none available, Links won't start. You will need to free up a drive letter

If too many drives are taken up, Links won't work. With the headphones unplugged,have your friend open his "COMPUTER" icon and look at the drives that are in use, and THEN have him insert the headphones and watch to see if it grabs and uses a new drive letter. If that is actually what's wrong, (and from your description I suspect it is) see if he has any other USB devices that he can unplug while playing Links. (like a backup thumb drive for example)

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thank you very much Dan we will give that a try and see what happens. Much appreciated for you to take your time to help with this matter. :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Daniel wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:03 pm Thank you very much Dan :cheers1:
:cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Boot

Post by Boot »

With all the experts here who have said I am trolling, not one of these experts has managed to figure this simple problem out. I will point it out to you below. It's only been stickied on this site for years. Good luck when any of you move up to a modern system. You will all clearly need it. Admin you can remove my account now. The ignorance and attitudes here and beyond belief.

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:09 am With all the experts here who have said I am trolling, not one of these experts has managed to figure this simple problem out. I will point it out to you below. It's only been stickied on this site for years. Good luck when any of you move up to a modern system. You will all clearly need it. Admin you can remove my account now. The ignorance and attitudes here and beyond belief.
Hate to see you go! Your profound insight to the problems that modern technology will cause has been quite beneficial. Thank you.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Not sure what you are going on about Boots with USB Ports. I use four USB ports on my computer one which is my head phones one is my Printer one is for my mouse and last but not least is an external hard drive. Links works just fine I am running Links in Windows 11.Just saying in this case it all boils down to the Headset mentioned above. And I might add no matter what I tried Links would not work with this headset plugged in.But using the same port using his old headset it works fine.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Boot wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:09 am not one of these experts has managed to figure this simple problem out.
I'm far from being an expert, but the "simple problem" you refer to HAS been figured out a long time ago. Links needs to use a hard drive letter to function. If you use up all of the drive letters available on your computer by plugging devices in to them, Then Links can't find one and fails to start.

We knew this back in the early days when most computers only came with 4 drive letters. A "C" drive for the OS, a "D" drive for the CD/ROM, and then perhaps a "E" drive, which the was usually used for storage, and the "F" drive, that was usually free. Links would use the "F" drive when you launched a game. HOWEVER, if you used that "F" drive for something else and there were no more available drives, Links would NOT launch.

As the years went by, computers started coming out with multiple drives built into the motherboards, (mine has 8 available) and the Links launch problem kinda died away. Still, occasionally someone will buy a computer (usually a laptop) with 3 or 4 drives available, and will fill them up with various dongles and headphones etc... If too many devices are filling up your available drive letters, Links won't launch...

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses