Can't get Links 2003 to start

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Larrycleve

Can't get Links 2003 to start

Post by Larrycleve »

I restored Links 2003 to a new computer from a Shadowprotect backup. I've done it to other computers and it always worked fine. The only thing that's different is this is an Intel processor and the others were Amd.

It doesn't seem like that should matter. I've uninstalled and reinstalled from the download file as administrator from Links 2003 Country Club. I've added the video card to video.txt. Changing compatibility mode doesn't matter. This is Windows 10. Any ideas what to do?
pmgolf

Re: Can't get Links 2003 to start

Post by pmgolf »

More info needed, please. What are you encountering? BSOD? A messagebox? An error?

Pete
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

The small links box opens then a medium size black window. It sits for a minute and then a box saying Links exited abnormally appears giving the options of restart, troubleshooting, or exit. Clicking restart just repeats the process.

I've tried installing in safe mode with no results. Here are system specs- Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI MEG Z390 ACE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Nvidia GTX 1080

I've tried playing with high dpi settings, compatibility, and running as administrator with no luck.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Should be no issues installing Links on that hardware.

Are you using the download or disc version?
Are you installing the game itself from a Shadowprotect backup?
Don't install/restore from any type of backup.

Uninstall Links.
Install the game somewhere that is not in Program Files using the CD or download version.
Install the v1.07 patch

Run the game and see if it works.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I installed it from the download to a separate partition H:\Links 2003. I then installed the links2k3_107_final and it's still not working. It previously worked from this partition on other computers that were Amd.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Processor type won't make any difference, should run fine. Most Links users will be using Intel.
I'm running an i7, Z390, Corsair RAM and Nvidia card. Similar hardware to yours.
Download version has some quirks which I can't remember what they are. Someone with the download version may have some ideas.
You could try installing to your C drive to see if it makes any difference unless you want to wait till someone with the download version posts.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I tried it on the C drive with no results. I tried installing with Norton Security disabled with no results. It's puzzling as I ran from the download before fine. I hope it's something simple that I'm missing.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Larrycleve wrote: October 27th, 2019, 1:33 am I tried it on the C drive with no results. I tried installing with Norton Security disabled with no results. It's puzzling as I ran from the download before fine. I hope it's something simple that I'm missing.
Check your PM's.

I just ran a little test, make sure you don't have any USB devices plugged into your system besides your keyboard and mouse. Headphone receivers in particular need to be physically unplugged. Unplug anything else as well!
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I did have a flash drive connected which I removed, rebooted but still no luck
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

You haven't checked your PM's Larry
Golf Sim Clubhouse