Can't get Links 2003 to start

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Larrycleve

Re: Can't get Links 2003 to start

Post by Larrycleve »

I found your message, thanks. I did the reinstall and it's still not working. Something in my computer is preventing it from starting. I installed it in safe mode and it didn't work so I don't know if it's software or hardware.

The motherboard driver package had some utilities included which I uninstalled with no luck. I'll try uninstalling the chipset driver though I doubt that will work. I disabled Norton Security with no luck. It worked with it enabled before. I have the bios set to uefi mode. I'll try setting to legacy to see if that does anything. I'll try uninstalling Norton also to see if that does anything.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

None of that worked. What could be blocking it from starting?
loner
Site Admin

Post by loner »

When you uninstall a program you may leave hidden files and folders that will interfere with a reinstall.
You also have registry entries that are left, They also can cause problems.
Try uninstalling with this.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-un ... -download/

Then install on your "C" drive.
Apply all patches.
Then try and start Links.
Hope this works.
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

That is what I use to uninstall. I tried installing on the C drive with patches and no luck. I've had it working from the H drive on other computers with no problem. I wonder if there's a setting in bios preventing it from working. It doesn't seem likely and all other programs are working.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

I’m not at the PC to give specific instructions but you may be able to generate an error report from Links when it doesn’t open and also check under Admin tools in Windows. May give an indication where things are going wrong.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Larrycleve

Post by Larrycleve »

I actually got it to work! I posted this on the Cnet forums and they suggested trying Andy's post about intel or intel+Nvidia graphics cards. I didn't think it applied as this motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics. The game shows it's using the voodoo graphics driver.

The colors don't look quite as bright as when it was using the Nvidia card. I don't know if that can be changed but at this point I don't care. The game is working and I can play and I'm happy.

Thanks everyone for your help and have a great day!