Hard drive crash

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
chrispy

Hard drive crash

Post by chrispy »

Had to replace my hard drive & now the hassle of restoring Links to a playable state.
I have a mate who sets it up so that it thinks it's in XP so that fixes one problem.
I have looked for the patches & found them OK
I downloaded V1.02 v1.05 & the nvidia fix
From memory V1.07 is the mod & I don't want to use that so I didn't bother with that
I installed V1.05 OK but V1.02 won't run
Can't remember if I need it or not

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris
Daniel

Re: Hard drive crash

Post by Daniel »

Hi there I would run all three patches 1.02,1.05 and the 1.07 in that order, not sure you will need the Nvidia patch but if you do run it last. I have had no problems with Links running them in that order and I use Windows 11 Pro 22H2 Version. If you have graphic problems and Links does not load correctly when your friend runs it in XP mode ask him to also to check the change high DPI settings when he clicks on the button he will see two boxes tell him to put a tick in both boxes and see if that helps you..
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Usually, programmers included previous patch data in new patches, so if 1.05 loaded you shouldn't worry about the 1.02 patch. 1.07 was for the challenging conditions - mostly - but you don't know if some earlier bugs might have been fixed by it. I would run the 1.07 patch, and then not use challenging if I don't want to. The nVidia patch along with 1.07 allows widescreen, you know. (you don't have to have nVidia to install it.)

Pete
Bit Left

Post by Bit Left »

Condolences on the HD. We cross paths in FLHT - frequently! - and I would hate to not see you there. All I can say is that some day I think my turn will come - well, my HP Desktop's turn - and I will be so lost without the good citizens of this Community. :clapping:
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

pmgolf wrote: October 26th, 2022, 12:29 pm Usually, programmers included previous patch data in new patches, so if 1.05 loaded you shouldn't worry about the 1.02 patch.

Pete
Although this is generally true, a lot of people (myself included) had issues with some sounds not working unless the 1.02 patch had been applied. :dunno:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Andy wrote: October 28th, 2022, 7:54 ama lot of people (myself included) had issues with some sounds not working unless the 1.02 patch had been applied. :dunno:
The sounds didnt work at all? Or did it have to do with occasional crashes?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Adelade wrote: October 28th, 2022, 8:42 am
Andy wrote: October 28th, 2022, 7:54 ama lot of people (myself included) had issues with some sounds not working unless the 1.02 patch had been applied. :dunno:
As I remember it some or all of the sounds just didn't work but there were no crashes. It seemed to only be necessary if ones motherboard had a Realtek sound chip.

This is all a long time ago. I gave up trying to install Links from the CDs and then install mods about 6 years ago. I just used the download version and have had no issues.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: October 28th, 2022, 8:42 am
You might do a search at LSPN. I think, but I've been wrong before, that the forum goes further back in time. And I would start at the last page and work forward. Just a thought.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yea I do that sometimes, but this case I wasnt looking for details, just wanted to hear if it had anything to do with sound related crashes or not, and it seems like it doesnt.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I visited the Links Country Club and the only patch that was available was 1.07.
Where have they moved the others?
My fingers are trembling... :laugh:
BTW, I can only find Patch 7 at the Country Club.