Why would a specific course take forever to render?

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Pancho

Why would a specific course take forever to render?

Post by Pancho »

A friend has a relatively new pc running Win 10 with a good video card which allows him to play any course without problem except Wagga Wagga and maybe one or two others that are like Wagga, not huge in file size. I suggested he delete and then re-download and install the course, but he says that changes nothing. He also says when he first loads Wagga at the start of a game, it takes a long pause at 20%. Has me befuddled. Could this be an AMD vs.nVidia thing? I think he has Radeon/AMD hardware.
Adelade

Re: Why would a specific course take forever to render?

Post by Adelade »

Is it perhaps when Links is "Rendering Shadows"? If so, he might have a slow or almost-full hard drive? In that case, playing without shadows (can be toggled in Links' graphics settings) can be a workaround if he's ok with it. Otherwise no idea.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Pancho wrote: August 26th, 2022, 4:27 am A friend has a relatively new pc running Win 10 with a good video card which allows him to play any course without problem except Wagga Wagga and maybe one or two others that are like Wagga, not huge in file size. I suggested he delete and then re-download and install the course, but he says that changes nothing. He also says when he first loads Wagga at the start of a game, it takes a long pause at 20%. Has me befuddled. Could this be an AMD vs.nVidia thing? I think he has Radeon/AMD hardware.
Does it take a long time to load every time he tries to open the same course? Or once he opens a course, does it load faster the next time he opens it?

For example, a few years back when I had a slow computer, some of the courses would take a long time to load the first time I opened them, but once it was loaded and the .sha (shadow) file was created, the course would load much faster. Creating that first shadow file always took a while. If this sounds like the same symptom your friend is having, then it's the creation of the shadow file that's taking a long time to create.

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

There are a few courses, Wagga being one, that are slow to render between shots. One work around is to adjust the graphics slider in the game to the left. I've never been able to see much difference visually when I do that, but it does speed up the rendering time between shots.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

GoBucks wrote: August 27th, 2022, 10:56 am There are a few courses, Wagga being one, that are slow to render between shots. One work around is to adjust the graphics slider in the game to the left. I've never been able to see much difference visually when I do that, but it does speed up the rendering time between shots.
Hi GB. The visual difference generally is in the rendering of distant objects. If you move the slider all the way to the left, objects off in the distance such as trees will start to disappear from sight. Find a course that has a lot of trees planted in the background off in the distance and test it with the slider full right, and then full left. I'm pretty sure you will notice a difference then...

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added