A New Computer!!!!! But there are problems......

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Adelade

Re: A New Computer!!!!! But there are problems......

Post by Adelade »

brooks2345 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 11:32 pm[...]the problem on the play golf / new round (rather than practice) od no grid anywhere and no recognition in my top right box of yardages / pointers etc
Are you certain that your golfer that you use in 'New Round' is not set to Elite difficulty level? Because on Elite you cant have grid, nor can you use the aim marker in the top cam. Perhaps that works differently in practice mode, or perhaps you have a different golfer in practice mode? I believe the ball location should still show up in the top cam on Elite however... Anyway, just a thought.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
dko

Post by dko »

Mark,

I suggest you pay attention to Still Linksing. He's the one who guided me through my efforts to a successful conclusion.

By the way, I never touched any registry settings myself, although I don't know what dgvoodoo2 does, if anything, to them. And no need to change the resolution of your computer. Just do it in the game itself. Mine works great on 1280 x 720 32-bit; I can aim in top screen and watch the ball flight, the yardage and other graphics work as usual, the grid is available if I want it (which I don't since I use the ball line indicator), etc. My desktop resolution remains at the recommended level for my computer of 1366 x 768.

I also have a translucent imprint in the lower right of my screen that says "dgvoodoo." It doesn't bother me and indicates to me that I set everything right from the sticky post by Andy. The .dlls I copied to the Links2003 folder were from the x86 subfolder in the MS folder of Direct3dfix. There were four of them. It was only then that the dgvoodoo imprint appeared on my Links screen and everything started working as it should (well, except for the green analyzer.)
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: April 25th, 2022, 3:33 am I also have a translucent imprint in the lower right of my screen that says "dgvoodoo."
Doug,
Open the dgvoodooCpl control panel. Go to DirectX tab, uncheck dgVoodoo Watermark. :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

SL, it was already unchecked and the watermark is still there. No biggie for me, but thanks for suggesting it.
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: April 25th, 2022, 5:57 am SL, it was already unchecked and the watermark is still there. No biggie for me, but thanks for suggesting it.
You will be able to get rid of it. I'll need to look into it. Give me some time, have plenty going on in real life atm but will PM you once I have something.
Edit: Make sure you uncheck the box under the glide tab as well. If it's still there, let me know and I'll PM you further instructions to not take over this thread.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey, it was mentioned to you before, to run the game in windows 7 compatibility mode, and the dpi setting is set for application, and make sure the device setting in the registering to set to 1, best of luck...
SimonAlberta

Post by SimonAlberta »

Hello,

I am not sure if this well help anyone but I have seen a lot of Win10/Win11 "problems" threads here and I have never seen anyone mention doing this;

Go into the old Control Panel

Click on "Turn Windows features on or off" which is top left of the screen

Look for the "Legacy Components" and tick the checkbox plus the DirecPlay checkbox

Click Ok and windows will set your machine up to run older apps like Links.

I am not saying it will solve everyone's problems but I never have to faff around with any of these other "hacks" when I re-install Links on my HP laptop (or previous machines come to that) it just plays perfectly right away aside from sometimes needing 2 or 3 attempts to find my video card. I install using original MS Links 2003 CDs then the 1.02, 1,05 and 1.07 Patches and Power Mod and Nvidia patch. I know the first two patches are probably not necessary but I am used to doing it that way and it works so why change?. You have to watch carefully to ensure all patches are going in to the same folder, 1 or 2 of them try to be funny and go elsewhere!

I can use Bluetooth headphones (Bose) with no problems which I see some people are having issues with alhough that is more good luck and not likely anything to do with the above.

So, try it folks, it may work for you too.

(Of course, there is always SOMEthing that is going to try our patience...out of nowhere after years of smooth running I suddenly can't make any new player I create work in Career Mode because it can't save the PHV file...I have a thread going on that if anyone has any ideas??)

Regards,

Simon.
PureSlice

Post by PureSlice »

I am jumping into this a bit late but this may help others. I built a new system with an Intel i3-10100 and was using the integrated graphics on the CPU. I had a number of problems with the graphics such as strange skies, wrong camera position and poor graphics overall. I used the suggestion by running Voodoo but the results were from from desirable. I installed all the updates and had no success. Being budget minded with this system I decided to try a basic GPU, in this case the GT 1030 which though a budget GPU was still much better that the UHD 630 on the CPU. After reinstalling the game and updates I was able to set the 1920 x 1080 32 bit resolution (it did not work properly with some of the lower resolutions). And like magic the game is rock solid stable and the graphics are drop dead gorgeous. And the GT 1030 price right now is hovering around $100-120 US. Last point, I am running Windows 11 which may help with the stability. Also I am running the game in compatibility mode (XP Service Pack 3).
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

PureSlice wrote: July 24th, 2022, 6:24 pm I am jumping into this a bit late but this may help others. I built a new system with an Intel i3-10100 and was using the integrated graphics on the CPU. I had a number of problems with the graphics such as strange skies, wrong camera position and poor graphics overall. I used the suggestion by running Voodoo but the results were from from desirable. I installed all the updates and had no success. Being budget minded with this system I decided to try a basic GPU, in this case the GT 1030 which though a budget GPU was still much better that the UHD 630 on the CPU. After reinstalling the game and updates I was able to set the 1920 x 1080 32 bit resolution (it did not work properly with some of the lower resolutions). And like magic the game is rock solid stable and the graphics are drop dead gorgeous. And the GT 1030 price right now is hovering around $100-120 US. Last point, I am running Windows 11 which may help with the stability. Also I am running the game in compatibility mode (XP Service Pack 3).
Well done Pureslice! As always, "Intel Integrated Graphics" in the processor or the video cards, is the number one killer of Links Golf sims. Glad it's working out for you! :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Pureslice, I did what you did - built my PC, but instead of using an Intel processor, I used an AMD. No onboard graphics. Links worked right away without me doing anything - running under Windows 10 back when I did it. And Windows 11 doesn't offer anything to make me want it, so Windows 10 is ok with me. Just thought I would mention another option if anyone is thinking of doing the same thing. :smile:

Pete