Rendering Issues / Freezing Up

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
snavarro717

Rendering Issues / Freezing Up

Post by snavarro717 »

Hello,

I'm looking for a little help with HD courses and rendering issues/freezing up. I just bought a new laptop and installed Links 2003 with all of the patches including the Voodoo fix. I generally do not have any issues playing, except for HD courses or those with a lot of textures. Some courses won't load at all and crash (such as Chambers Bay) others will start off fine but then will freeze up while rendering after a shot.

I am running Windows 11 with Intel Core i7 processor and Intel Iris Xe Graphics card.

Any ideas out there of what may be causing this?

Thanks,

Steve
Still Linksing

Re: Rendering Issues / Freezing Up

Post by Still Linksing »

Have you only had these issues on the new laptop?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
snavarro717

Post by snavarro717 »

Yes, never had the issue with the old machine
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

snavarro717 wrote: February 8th, 2022, 5:29 pm Yes, never had the issue with the old machine
Ok, thanks. I need to do a little research.

I’m starting to sense playing old games using Win 11 and new hardware may be quite problematic.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
snavarro717

Post by snavarro717 »

Still Linksing wrote: February 8th, 2022, 5:39 pm
snavarro717 wrote: February 8th, 2022, 5:29 pm Yes, never had the issue with the old machine
Ok, thanks. I need to do a little research.

I’m starting to sense playing old games using Win 11 and new hardware may be quite problematic.
Thanks, Still Linksing. I appreciate it.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Hey Steve,

Sorry, don't have a solution to your problem. I've now come across a handful of literally previously unheard of issues with old games on Win 11 and new computers.
All the problems point to issues with graphics processing and all cases were with integrated graphics released in 2021 or 2022 running on Win 11 computers.
Win 11 and new computers especially with integrated graphics, may be claiming some old games now. It was bound to happen.

I don't have Win 11 or new hardware to test any of these issues. All I can suggest is try using Links in windowed mode. Mess with Win 11 resolution settings and make sure any scaling is set to 100%. You can also try compatibility settings and running as admin with the Links executable. You can also mess with dgvoodoo settings. Any of these may or may not help. If none of this does anything please let me know and I'll think of anything further that may help.

It's still too early to be certain but my suggestion right now is if anyone wants to keep Links or any other old games running, don't buy a new computer without a dedicated graphics card.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Oh, just thought of another potential biggie, try disabling the dynamic camera. Another thing is try running in 16 bit mode. I know it isn't a great solution but if we can start getting some idea where these problems are coming from, it may help find avenues to potentially resolving them.

Hopefully someone else here jumps in and just says, "I had this, all you need to do..." but I doubt it.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
snavarro717

Post by snavarro717 »

Thank you for all of the suggestions, but unfortunately, nothing has worked so far. I am going to keep fiddling with it and let you know if I find the solution.

Steve
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Not sure if this will help you but worth a try. Go to your settings then Apps, Video performance then Advanced then Graphics add Links if not already added then once added click on Links and options graphics preferences and try altering whatever you see in there.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Not a solution, but likely workaround:

If some courses load fine but other larger courses do not, there is a significant chance that the larger ones will load and play if you lower your "picture quality" setting within Links' graphics settings before opening those courses - unless you already are at lowest that is.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...