Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
dko

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by dko »

Still Linksing (and any other friend who wants to help), I hope you're still monitoring this post. I finally got the new computer set up and installed Links, the 1.07 update and the player file. I have not installed the nvidia patch or dgvoodoo2, although I have both files available.

The game actually works, after a fashion, without changing the Compatibility settings or clicking run program as administrator. No surprise, the graphics are kind of messed up:

- the game won't play at full screen even though I selected that option; it is cropped on both sides
- I can hit shots, but then the screen kind of breaks up into three parts and I can't follow the ball flight
- I can't see most of the tabs at the bottom of the playing screen
- some of the clickable links on any page have square "holes" in them (hard to describe)

I imagine none of these things come as a surprise, but I would sure appreciate some help and guidance. Please remember that I am not all that computer-literate, so if I need a graphics card I will also need some guidance on installation.

The help and support I have received so far are gratefully accepted.

Doug
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

BTW, I put the files in the x86 folder.
Doug
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

The Nvidia patch is meant for all users, not only Nvidia users. I seem to recall StillLinksing not being a fan of it because of it lacking details of exactly what it does, or something, and him therefore wanting to be on the safe side if he doesnt need it, but I see no reason to not try it if you experience graphical issues. Aside from StillLinksing's hesitation about it, my understanding is that basically everyone uses it.

The last two of your four listed issues makes me think of this post from a while back - viewtopic.php?p=11367#p11367 - wherein the issue was solved by switching from 16-bit to 32-bit mode. You should be able to do this within the Links menu Options > Graphics , if it wont let you change it there you can check a later post in that same thread for how to do it in the registry.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
dko

Post by dko »

Adelade, I don't want to get too excited until I play a few rounds, but your suggestion fixed everything I was having a problem with. I changed to 1280 x 720 32-bit and the game plays beautifully with everything visible and functioning properly, including full screen.

Thank you!!!!!!
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

I've been downloading my favorite courses (and finally made a contribution; every other time I tried my efforts didn't work) and am probably getting a little greedy now. The only issue I'm experiencing now is a nit. I can't see the ball flight in the top view. I think I've seen posts on this in the past but haven't been able to find them. I don't want to risk the otherwise perfect playability of the game that I have missed so much, but was wondering if there was a "simple" fix available to this issue.

And I'm finally going to bed!
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:05 am I've been downloading my favorite courses (and finally made a contribution; every other time I tried my efforts didn't work) and am probably getting a little greedy now. The only issue I'm experiencing now is a nit. I can't see the ball flight in the top view. I think I've seen posts on this in the past but haven't been able to find them. I don't want to risk the otherwise perfect playability of the game that I have missed so much, but was wondering if there was a "simple" fix available to this issue.

And I'm finally going to bed!
Good to read you're up and running especially without the need for dgvoodoo. If you find any other graphical glitches dgvoodoo is very likely what you will need.
Can't remember the ball in top view solution. Hopefully someone can remember or you can try a search.
If you're using that PC just for Links, you should be set for many, many years or even decades. :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

You're the one who got me this far, so many thanks again for all your help.
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

Spoke too soon (of course).

I decided to mess around with the sky setting, which was blank when I went to change it. Of course, after I did, my clear sky disappeared and was replaced by a dark one with squares underneath. So it appears I need dgvoodoo2 after all. I opened it once and did not understand it at all.

Is that all I will need? Can you help with how to use it?
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

OK, now I notice that Custom Pins is greyed out. Is there a fix for that?
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

Still Linksing, I really need your help (again). I found a post suggesting settings for dgvoodoo2 and tried to run it. My antivirus blocked it! So I'm stuck with the messed up sky, greyed out pin settings and no view of the ball in the top camera.

Any suggestions?
Doug