Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
GoBucks

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by GoBucks »

Boot wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:06 am
I have not yet witnessed one PC with new hardware and with Nvidia card that works. I am not an expert, I don't know what causes the Links issues, I haven't fixed them myself. I have said I am yet to see a fully equipped PC that works with modern hardware.
You have yet to define "New Hardware" , In all of your posts, I have yet to find your definition.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Boot

Post by Boot »

GoBucks wrote: May 6th, 2023, 12:59 pm
Boot wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:06 am
I have not yet witnessed one PC with new hardware and with Nvidia card that works. I am not an expert, I don't know what causes the Links issues, I haven't fixed them myself. I have said I am yet to see a fully equipped PC that works with modern hardware.
You have yet to define "New Hardware" , In all of your posts, I have yet to find your definition.
I struggle to understand why defining new is so difficult here. A PC using components like CPU, motherboard and GPU released in the last 1-2 years or using the current versions of these components should cover it. It's the Twilight Zone. Don't worry, you will have another come along soon.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Daniel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 12:42 pm Boot this is my system build. SnapCrab_NoName_2023-5-6_12-15-8_No-00.png This is Links 2003 without AA, YOU SEE THE JAGGED EDGES ON HILLSIDE ABOVE GOLFERS HEAD.PIC1.png This is Links 2003 with AA.PIC2.png My video card is an Nvidia Card with AA enabled. pic3.png These are my setting in the Nvidia Control Panel. pic4.png Now tell everyone again Links does not work on new computers or with Nvidia Graphics Cards.
I'm not the most computer literate but I can see I'm the most computer literate on this site.

First, you have an 11th gen CPU. It's not current. Second, you are not running AA.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

11TH Generation is new enough for what you are going on about, and I am running AA you need some glasses Boot. To put it bluntly you are a prick and you are right you know f-ck all about computers.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Daniel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 2:00 pm 11TH Generation is new enough for what you are going on about, and I am running AA you need some glasses Boot. To put it bluntly you are a prick and you are right you know f-ck all about computers.
New enough so you can call me a prick? Nice.
No, it's far from new as would be the rest of your system and no, you are not running AA. You're a dickhead.

Can see why the author doesn't want the patch released to people here. I feel sorry for the good people who can't run the game but if it was my patch, I wouldn't release it either because I would hate to see some of you get your hands on it and be able to run the game in the future. You're all best off away from this game.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Everyone watch what happens with Danny D. I think his PC met the new criteria. Idiots.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Ok Boot lets dispense with the name calling my bad.If I am not using AA as you say, please explain why the Hillside and the Poll have no jagged edges in the picture.
pic5.png
pic5.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3113 times
chad

Post by chad »

FXAA isn't "true AA", but it works great for a game that was never developed with AA in mind.
Attachments
Lambton.png
Lambton.png (3.36 MiB) Viewed 3106 times
Boot

Post by Boot »

chad wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:57 pm FXAA isn't "true AA", but it works great for a game that was never developed with AA in mind.
Yes, exactly. It's not as good as AA as it just applies an overall AA affect to everything but messes up, leaves artifacts or smudges text and everything else to some degree. It can't be tailored ideally to the specific game content. The FXAA button is one on button for all games and graphics types, no customization. It's also very dependent on the users GPU as to how well it will work or not work. If you buy another computer or change GPU's, you may lose good working FXAA and find you now have a card that forces you back to no FXAA at all and you again have to put up with default Links jaggies.
This won't happen with proper AA.

Apparently they are very close to getting proper working AA in Links. After 20 years of it not being achieved, it would be a big plus if it happens.
Boot

Post by Boot »

Daniel wrote: May 6th, 2023, 9:20 pm Ok Boot lets dispense with the name calling my bad.If I am not using AA as you say, please explain why the Hillside and the Poll have no jagged edges in the picture.pic5.png
Truce Daniel. I have nothing against you and in the heat of the moment, we both could've responded in a better fashion.
I'm really not here trolling as some suspect. I'm questioning now if maybe I need to avoid one or two members as I'm questioning things about them and maybe they are best completely ignored.

Please see my post above, you have FXAA and it does get rid of jaggies. I'm using it myself but proper AA is a much better option and unavailable to at least Nvidia users but FXAA is better than nothing.