Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Still Linksing

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by Still Linksing »

For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Still Linksing,

I know I already thanked you for your help, but you are going above and beyond....

My old PC was a Dell Inspiron, which I loved, and the one from Dell might do the trick. More than I intended to spend, but it seems like a safer solution. Is there any reason to think that Links won't work with Windows 11?
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: February 11th, 2022, 10:45 am Still Linksing,

I know I already thanked you for your help, but you are going above and beyond....

My old PC was a Dell Inspiron, which I loved, and the one from Dell might do the trick. More than I intended to spend, but it seems like a safer solution. Is there any reason to think that Links won't work with Windows 11?
Are you meaning the Dell Inspiron 3891?
If you are considering this, tell me what processor it shows is available for you if you purchased it? Is it available with the i3-10105 or i5-11400?
I'll look into it closely once I get a reply. Copy/paste the full specs if you can so I can see exactly what configuration is available for you to buy.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Tech Specs
Processor
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-10105 (6 MB cache, 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.70 GHz to 4.40 GHz Turbo)

Operating System
Windows 11 Home, English

Graphics Card
Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Memory
8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz

Hard Drive
1 TB, 7200 RPM, 3.5-inch, SATA, HDD, 64 MB cache

Microsoft Office
No Microsoft Office License Included 30 day Trial Offer Only

McAfee Security Software
McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription

Protect your purchase - View Support offers below
1 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

Accidental Damage Service
None

Keyboard
Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard Black

Mouse
Dell Optical Mouse - MS116 (Black)

Ports
1 USB 3.2 Gen 1 port (front)
1 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C® port (front)
2 USB 2.0 ports (front)
2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (rear)
2 USB 2.0 ports (rear)
1 global headset jack (front)
1 Line-out port (rear)
1 HDMI 1.4b port (rear)
1 VGA port (rear)
1 RJ-45 ethernet port (rear)

Optical Drive
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

Slots
External:
1 Padlock ring slot
1 Kensington security-cable slot

Internal:
1 PCIe x16
1 PCIe x1
1 M.2 2230 slot for WiFi and Bluetooth combo card
1 M.2 2230/2280 slot for PCIe solid-state drive
2 SATA slots for 3.5-inch HDD, 2.5-inch HDD/SSD
1 SATA slot for slim Optical Disk Drive (ODD) Optional

Dimensions & Weight
Height: 324.30 mm (12.77")
Width: 154 mm (6.06")
Depth: 293 mm (11.54")
Starting weight: 4.94 kg (10.88 lb)

Wireless
Intel® Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig+) and Bluetooth

Power
260 W Bronze
360 W Bronze

Regulatory Compliance
ENERGY STAR qualified configurations available
Product Safety, EMC and Environmental Datasheets
Dell Regulatory Compliance Home Page
Dell and the Environment
CEL
CEL
WEEE
Japan Energy Law
South Korea E-standby
EU RoHS
China RoHS
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Yep, it all looks good! :clapping:

The last thing to consider is blowing more money! :laugh:
The Dell does have the option to add a graphics card to the configuration you buy. This will make a big difference in performance and very likely allow you to use anti-aliasing (AA) and anisotropic filtering (AF) with Links. For many other games, the card will make the world of difference to performance. You would need to take the GTX1650 option for the card. Of course this will add considerable cost and for this card you will get the 360 watt power supply. Without the card, the PC will come with the 260 watt.

You can of course add a card later on at any point. It just means later on if you decide you ever want to add a card, you'll need to add a lesser card because of the weaker power supply you will have installed or you will need to upgrade both the card and power supply for a better card.

Without a card, the PC comes with integrated graphics. No issues I have found with Win 11 and the type of integrated graphics the Dell uses. Should work perfectly fine for Links. You will almost certainly need to use the dgvoodoo fix shown as a sticky at the top of this forum. As Links is so old and was never intended for such a new operating system or hardware, there are no "absolute" guarantees it will work with any new computer. It is however "highly unlikely" there would be a problem with the Dell.

With a graphics card, dgvoodoo would not be required. Links just needs dgvoodoo for modern integrated graphics.

The Dell you should be very happy with. It looks great and it should last you a very long time. It's a PC open to upgrading and this also means if a component ever does happen to fail, you can easily just replace the failed component and carry on without replacing the entire computer. :thumbup:

So imo you are done. Only decision left is the graphics card. :kicking:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Thank you, sir.

I will have more of a problem with my wife about blowing more money than my conscience...

It's a bit more than double what a used computer would have cost me, but buying a new unit directly from Dell gives me somewhat more confidence.

I like to play the tournaments the pros do with the same pins and yardages, so I've been keeping up with that info on pgatour.com to try to emulate it when possible, and on courses I like.

Dice are rolling.
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Awesome! Think you will have a blast and complete peace of mind with the new PC. Make sure you come back and let me know how it all went when you are back up and running with Links. :thumbup:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Do not waste your money on a new Computer no matter what the specs are unless it has its own dedicated Graphics Card to play Links 2003, otherwise, you will have lots of problems to overcome. You have been warned.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Any update? Computer ordered?
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

I just got the new computer but some other stuff has come up and I haven't had time to get things set up. For sure I'll let you know.
Doug