IP to IP not working anymore

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Sandy_Trapp

Re: IP to IP not working anymore

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

Daniel wrote: January 11th, 2022, 9:57 pm Port Triggers just open the ports you select without having to use the router's IP. I will tell you now if you are using Norton and it is not configured correctly to play Links you will have no chance of the game playing. Norton is a pain up the ass when it comes to Links 2003. If it was pre-installed when you bought your new Computer get rid of it and use Windows Defender it is as good as any other antivirus program.
I bought it. Never had problems before with it. Seems I only had trouble after a windows update on the old computer. Have a new one with Windows 11, thought that might sort out the problems, but no.
May try disabling Norton and see if that works.
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

Thanks for all your suggestions, but nothing seems to remedy the problem Deleted port forwarding and turned on DMZ. Tried the Windows Defender route. Tried turning off Norton. As long as gameranger keeps working, I'll be okay. Strange, though, that it would all of a sudden not connect as it used to. Maybe someday, I'll tick something and it'll work, who knows? The game IS 18 years old.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Sandy_Trapp I still think it is your Norton that is causing your problem. You say it stopped working after an update some updates can cause other third party programs problems. I assume getting a new PC will have already had that update installed. I know from helping some of the Tigercats players that Norton was stopping them from connecting to one another. If you bought Norton then you could try uninstalling it completely instead of trying to shut it down. If you do go down this route go to the Norton Website and download the tool that uninstalls Norton completely Norton is so intrusive you need this tool to get rid of it completely. If it does not help you seeing that you bought Norton you could re-install it again. Nothing lost in giving this a go. Kind regards Daniel
Suemi

Post by Suemi »

Trying to help someone with the same issue as Sandy Trapp. Once thing they have him common is Xfinity/Comcast. Anyone ever hear of any issues with routers and that ISP in particular? It is just a mystery as to how something works fine one minute and then just stops connecting the next.
Fore!play

Post by Fore!play »

I have not tried it myself (with any game, let alone Links 2003), but it seems that Parsec (https://parsec.app/) has become a popular program for online head-to-head gaming and should work for essentially any game. Perhaps you may want to look into it.

Here's a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvpUB4aXwog
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I went thru this some years back. Me and my golfing pard had always connected IP to IP because we had "static" IP's that never changed. And then one day my Internet Provider made some hardware changes, and they started using DHCP IP assignments. So every day when I turned on my computer and connected online, I was getting random IP's assigned to me. The problem was the way they had their equipment set up. They had their equipment set up like a private companies in-house network. All of their customers would now be assigned a new DHCP IP number every time they logged on, and they would not open any ports to allow us to get out of their private internal network. So bottom line was that me and my partner could no longer connect IP to IP because my computer was now trapped inside their private network. My only alternative was to pay them an additional 15 dollars a month for a "static" IP. You might have him call his provider and ask if they had made any changes to their network.

I'm betting the problem is with the Win11 operating system. From the nightmares I've read about, they are constantly sending your system updates, and eventually it will cause things to just stop working in the older programs, such as Links 2003...

There is another alternative. Don't laugh, but if you both still have dial-up, you can connect IP to IP. Believe it or not, I still have dial-up available. I've even had to use it a few times when my Provider would have problems. If your friend has been playing for 23 years, I'm betting he remembers that Links plays really well on dial-up. :whistle: :smile:

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Suemi

Post by Suemi »

Daniel wrote: January 11th, 2022, 9:57 pm Port Triggers just open the ports you select without having to use the router's IP. I will tell you now if you are using Norton and it is not configured correctly to play Links you will have no chance of the game playing. Norton is a pain up the ass when it comes to Links 2003. If it was pre-installed when you bought your new Computer get rid of it and use Windows Defender it is as good as any other antivirus program.
I have Norton and have zero issues with Links. My friend does not have Norton - he uses AVAST - and still has the exact same issues as Sandy Trapp.
CaddyDaddy

Post by CaddyDaddy »

I'm having the same issues as Sandy. IP to IP will not connect in Direct Play. I have opened the ports and have uninstalled Norton (with the Norton uninstall software). Totally baffled with this issue. Any other suggestions.
Suemi

Post by Suemi »

Danny D wrote: March 4th, 2022, 3:39 am There is another alternative. Don't laugh, but if you both still have dial-up, you can connect IP to IP. Believe it or not, I still have dial-up available. I've even had to use it a few times when my Provider would have problems. If your friend has been playing for 23 years, I'm betting he remembers that Links plays really well on dial-up. :whistle: :smile:
Oh trust me, we played many a game on dial-up...LOL He lives in a rural area and every time a bird crapped on his line, he'd lose connection. HAHAHAHAHA This probably started before he bought new computer with Win 11 so it predates that.....just a freaking mystery. I think it does have something to do with Xfinity/comcast........but phoning them does no good. You'll spend 3 hours on the phone while they tell you to unplug and replug....reboot....and then say "sorry, not our problem". I have NORTON and have zero problems with connecting. It might be time to pack it up.
jorson2

having an issue with cursor

Post by jorson2 »

in direct connect all of a sudden the cursor wont move and i cant join any games

any ideas

everything else in game works just fine

hoping not to have to reinstall game tx