Problem launching Links with new PC (W11)

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
DougQ

Problem launching Links with new PC (W11)

Post by DougQ »

Been holding off buying a new PC but my 20 year old Desktop finally passed on. Bought a new desktop (Intel i7 2.5 GHz, 16GB DDR4 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 500 SSD, 1 T HDD)
Loaded up Links last night and played a couple of holes online with a friend. Was relieved as I was concerned that the new PC would not work for Links.
Woke up this morning and opened Links to start adding courses, players etc.... Links failed to open with a Video Card error. Tried several times, all failed attempts. Uninstalled Links and completed a new install with the same result. Found a NVIDA patch on Links Country Club and installed it. Now when I attempt to open Links I got a failed to open error.
Read on the message board here about USB plug in causing issues, so unplugged a wireless headset and now I get a flashing black screen when attempting to open.
I've been playing links since its inception (Leader Board) and would really like to get this fixed, if at all possible.
Thanks in advance.
chad

Re: Problem launching Links with new PC (W11)

Post by chad »

Did your video card Device ID get registered into the VideoCard.txt file, located in the Links directory?

Here are a few example entries -
0x02a0 = "GeForce3 XBOX"
NoCopyZInVidMem
0x01F0 = "GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU"
0x0181 = "GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU A"
0x2182 = "GeForce GTX 1660 Ti"

Run dxdiag for the Start/Run line, and export the results out. Search the text file for Device ID:
Grab that value and in the VideoCard.txt file, locate the Nvidia vendor section. At the bottom of that section, type in your card values.

Example-
0x1111 = "GeForce RTX 3060 Ti"

Hopefully this helps :fcrossed:
Last edited by chad on December 8th, 2021, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Wow seems like you got a full house of different errors there, the USB unplugged one seems especially mysterious...

Did you install patch 1.07 before the Nvidia one? Im not fully sure that it matters but I've always done it in that order and whenever other people post about their sequence they always mention that same order too, so possibly 1.07 is necessary for the Nvidia one to work properly?

Otherwise, I recommend testing launching the game both from the LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII files. Also, right click them > Properties > Compatibility tab, and test various compatibility settings.

If you manage to screenshot any of the error messages and show us, someone knowledgeable might be able to figure out more.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
chad

Post by chad »

Also, if you installed Links in the Program Files directory, it might be causing some issues. I stopped installing Links to that default directory a few OSs ago.
Last edited by chad on December 8th, 2021, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

I think I remember that a card reader may cause a problem, too, unless a different letter is designated for it.
DougQ

Post by DougQ »

Well, what a ride. First and foremost, I really appreciate the assistance that everyone has offered.
I contacted a friend that is an IT guru from UNLV. He got online and finally was able to get Links to open properly. Basically he made Links Windows 7 compactable, made sure the path was correct and wah-la it worked. Next day, it failed again!!!!! Contacted my friend and he didn't have anymore ideas, everything tried would fail. I uninstalled and reinstalled, different directories, different processes on loading patches and nothing worked.
Sitting here and thinking that my Links play had finally came to an end. Then I remembered a couple of years ago I had experienced the exact same issue. I had installed a high end surround sound headset and Links would not open. Removed the headset and Links worked just fine. But I had Links working on this PC with a wireless surround sound headset. I looked at the headset and realized the USB charging cord was still connected to the headset. No way! I unplugged and Links has run fine ever since.
So I have Links and the wireless headset works great, as long as the headset is not charging. Again, I thank everyone for all the suggestions. Hope this helps others down the road. I am relieved that Windows 11 and Links can work together.
chad

Post by chad »

Who would have thought that a Video Card error would result in a headset issue. :dunno:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

chad wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:38 pm Who would have thought that a Video Card error would result in a headset issue. :dunno:
Me. My days of fixing anything for this game are done.
Can't believe they even edited my sig! lol

Hope you guys realize that many are only playing this game because of the fixes I came up with?
Stickies in this forum that have helped so many all originated with me.
There will at some point again be new issues running Links on modern systems.
Good luck with that!
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Still Linksing wrote: December 10th, 2021, 11:48 pm
chad wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:38 pm Who would have thought that a Video Card error would result in a headset issue. :dunno:
Me. My days of fixing anything for this game are done.
Can't believe they even edited my sig! lol

Hope you guys realize that many are only playing this game because of the fixes I came up with?
Stickies in this forum that have helped so many all originated with me.
There will at some point again be new issues running Links on modern systems.
Good luck with that!
Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you're doing well! I don't know what problem you had, but I'm sure all the help you gave was appreciated! :smile:

Pete
DougQ

Post by DougQ »

Video card error was fixed with using the Windows 7 Compatibility mode. The failure to launch was the headset. Frustrating when more than one issue. Just glad the new headset works wireless when disconnected.