Links 2003 won't run on HP Laptop running Windows 10

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
JimArch

Links 2003 won't run on HP Laptop running Windows 10

Post by JimArch »

I've been a member for a few years now. Back in the last century I was running Links by Access Software, I think the last issue was Links98. BTW- the registration question "Name the company that originally released Links" should not be Microsoft. They bought it from Access Software who started Links around 1990. I had Links 1998 which was still in the hands of Access.

Regardless, I have convinced a friend to download the package that comes with 47 courses and he joined up, downloaded and installed everything a few days ago. Now, he is having trouble getting the program to run on his HP Laptop computer running Windows 10. He's in Edmonton, Alberta and I'm in Comox-Courtenay, British Columbia. I've tried to help him using Team Viewer and so far all we've found and corrected is turning on DirectPlay in the W10 Control Panel and updating his video driver to the latest. When we try to launch Links2003, the frame comes up and the screen starts flashing and going nowhere. Can you give me any help in helping him get this up and running? -Jim Archibald for Ron Dyck
pmgolf

Re: Links 2003 won't run on HP Laptop running Windows 10

Post by pmgolf »

You're in the right place. When you state your problem, you must state it like you're describing it for a 9 year old. Very few of us old pharts are as computer savvy as a 9 year old - which is painfully true - but we're also not mind readers. Provide the following IMPORTANT information to help us get started: Laptop or desktop?, Manufacturer? (ie. Dell, Asus), operating system? (ie. Windows 10?, Apple?), Processor? (AMD or Intel, Ryzen 5 2600?, i-3? i-5? i-7?), amount of RAM?, SSD? or HD?, BIGGIE: Intel Onboard Graphics? Separate Video Card? (model #), how are you and the other fellow connecting to play the game?, and if that's not enough to fix your problem, someone will ask.

The first 3 threads in this Forum are "Stickies", and will answer a lot of questions. Look them over. Most people get Links running here, but understand that it's difficult for you and also for those who are trying to help you. If you're confused about anything - ask! If someone needs more info - give it to them! If they suggests a solution or something to try - don't pre-judge it (ie. "no, that'll never work!") - go ahead and try it! There is a video patch, but it has the name nVidia on it. It doesn't matter if your card is an nVidia - if someone says try it - TRY it! (It actually does help for more different cards than just an nVidia.)

Now gather the information mentioned in paragraph 1 and list it here - and good luck!

Pete
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

JimArch wrote: November 19th, 2021, 12:05 am BTW- the registration question "Name the company that originally released Links" should not be Microsoft. They bought it from Access Software who started Links around 1990. I had Links 1998 which was still in the hands of Access.
As it happens, both Access and Microsoft are accepted as many LC members came to the game long after the demise of Access so they would only have known it as a Microsoft game.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

First make sure to install the patches 1.07 and Nvidia that pmgolf mentioned, both can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10

If there are still issues getting the game to launch properly, one thing to try is to right click the file LinksMMIII and/or LinksLauncher , going to Properties and trying some compatibility settings.

If the game launches, but there are graphical issues while playing even after applying the patches, one of the sticky threads mentioned by pmgolf can help, depending on your system.

If the game launches, but there are other issues, let us know what type of issues.

If the game works fine, but you have issues connecting to eachother, there are some things to try, though I dont remember what they were. In that case post about it again here and the ones who do remember should be able to help you.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
JimArch

Post by JimArch »

Thanks for these suggestions. I will contact my friend and try these. Those 2 patches look promising as I recall running them on my copy many years ago!
Thanks again and I'll let you know if this solved the problem.
JimArch
JimArch

Post by JimArch »

I installed the 2 patches and Links 2003 loaded correctly. I have the graphics display set to 1440 x 900 - 16 bit and it fills the screen nicely. However, after taking the first shot, the graphics at the top part of the screen really messed up and never corrected after a few more shots. I hope I pasted the picture correctly. Not sure how to do that.
Attachments
2021-11-19 12.15.33.jpg
2021-11-19 12.15.33.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

This is why pmgolf asked about additional computer specifications, especially the graphics card configuration. But I believe with the sky issue and the fact that it is a laptop makes it a fairly safe bet that this is the fix you need (one of the sticky threads we mentioned) (just the first post, and where it leads to. I use that same fix myself): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=788
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

JimArch wrote: November 19th, 2021, 8:36 pm I installed the 2 patches and Links 2003 loaded correctly. I have the graphics display set to 1440 x 900 - 16 bit and it fills the screen nicely.
Hi Jim...

I notice you said you have your bit-rate set at 16 bits. Just to make it clear, all graphic modes should only be set at 32 bits.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
JimArch

Post by JimArch »

Sure glad I signed up for this site. The answers to my problems have been fast, friendly and very helpful. With your help, we got my friend's HP laptop running Links 2003. The final solution was a right click on the Links icon on the desktop; Properties; Compatibility tab; Compatibility troubleshoot - FIXED!
I was also able to install the game on my Lenovo laptop and fixed the graphics glitch with Andy's solution (above).
I used to play online with others in the US and Canada and would now like to link up with this friend a province east of my location. Do we still use Game Ranger for that? Any other tips for online play will be appreciated as I haven't done that for maybe 5 years now.
Thanks again for your great help and support. Even we octogenarians can understand and appreciate your help and patience!
- JimArch