Win 11 Poly Ani Problem

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Captain Nemo

Win 11 Poly Ani Problem

Post by Captain Nemo »

Background: Current PC had a failed hard drive (replaced in April). Using Win 10 then. After reinstalling Links, I couldn't find my backup files: So on the short term, rather than try to recreate the many (poly) players I had detuned, modified or changed (photos/names etc.), previously, I just changed a few of the Links basic Jill/Joe players (name skills etc.) to make them competetive to play against. Last week I installed Win 11, and today when I started to play Links again, 8 out of my 12 created players were not shown in the "in game"select player list.

I did eventually find my previous Win 10 B/U files and and I compared the 10 (169) players to 11 (20) players. versions.
Consequently, I have several questions, but here I will just post 2 about Poly files, that when answered I think, will point me in the right direction.

1) What is the difference between an .L3 file and an .SSF file?

2 Where are modified players files found? - neither 10 or 11 poly files contain renamed players. I used to play against Loosy Lucy, Bob the Basher, Larry the Lagger, Norm the Storm and Connie Lingus among many many others. I see some duplicate names (both file types) Anika, David Toms Sergio etc., but none of the players I modified show up.

Getting old and troubleshooting getting "tuffer". :wallbash:
Thanks in advance. Your help will be much appreciated

Dave
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
gator

Re: Win 11 Poly Ani Problem

Post by gator »

L3 is a player file and SSF is a sound file.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Player files: "c:\Program data\Links 2003\Players\" folder

They are .PIN files. You can search for them using "*.pin"

(Leave out quote marks)

Pete
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

If you used an ani editor and didn't run as administrator or turn off UAC in Windows then some of your files may have been redirected to Windows Virtual Store, which would explain why you couldn't find them.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Thanks to all for your quick responses.
Lez .... I didn't find any files in the Virtual Store.

From my backup drive I decided to transfer the old Poly file (many more golfers to work with) and Skies (many more) and just have fun recreating golfers and create some new ones to play against.

This leaves me with another question:
On my B.U.D., I also found a file called Photos, which includes numerous Pro-Golfer head shots as well as a sub-file of my family, friends and golf buddies head shots. where do I put these 2 files so that I can include the appropriate picture when creating golfers.
Cheers, Dave
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

The photos are in the same folder as the .pin files. :helpsmilie:

Pete
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

pmgolf wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:51 pm The photos are in the same folder as the .pin files. :helpsmilie:

Pete
Thanks Pete: That's "ProgramData > Links 2003 > Players". That"s where created players are saved. When a player is being created the game is reading the PolyAni file in "Microsoft Games . Links 2003, so wouldn't Photos go there? Either way, do I copy just the Photos file or all the individual Golfer .jpgs?

Cheers :cheers1: Dave
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

All my photos are .JPG files, and they are in the /Links 2003/Program Data/Players/ folder along with the .PIN files you were looking for.

Pete
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I put all my photos in the polyani folder so I know where they are. You can put your photos anywhere on your hard drive and find them in the game.