transloosent shadow

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Sunminchy

transloosent shadow

Post by Sunminchy »

Eny one here haveing no transloosen shadow in links 2003?
pmgolf

Re: transloosent shadow

Post by pmgolf »

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the type of video card you have. With some of them, you can only get an opaque shadow - others allow translucent shadows. Somebody who remembers it please pitch in here!

Pete
gator

Post by gator »

The only time I have been able to have translucent golfer shadows was when I had a Nvidia graphics card.

I currently have an AMD Radeon R7 graphics card and can only get opaque golfer shadows.

Other's mileage may vary.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Based on years of discussion at LSPN.net, Nvidia is the only card capable of translucent shadows. These discussions go back to 2006, and the operating system has no bearing.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

My NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M cant do transluscent shadows either. I wonder if its because its a mobile (laptop) one, possibly.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

gator wrote: November 10th, 2021, 3:14 pm The only time I have been able to have translucent golfer shadows was when I had a Nvidia graphics card.

I currently have an AMD Radeon R7 graphics card and can only get opaque golfer shadows.

Other's mileage may vary.
Yes, that's what I remember, Gator. Thanks! I have a nVidia video card and I get translucent shadows. I see that there are some nVidia cards that don't, though. Best thing is to find one that looks right for your system, and then post the card number/name to see if anyone knows.

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I recently had to replace my laptop and purchased a Lenovo with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, and I finally have translucent shadows. :thumbup: (Operating system windows 10)
Ian
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

When Grandpa Bruce and I were playing together, we both had similar desktop systems with high-end ASUS motherboards. However, he had a Radeon Video card and could only get the black shadow. I was using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 and could get both black and translucent shadows. After a few months he finally bought the same model NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card that I had, and that allowed him to get both shadows. It is most definitely the video card that allows the translucent shadow in the older model desktop systems.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

nVidia GeForce GTX1050 Ti 4 GB video card on my desktop. Plenty of power for Links, good price, and translucent shadows, too!

Pete
gator

Post by gator »

Adelade wrote: November 10th, 2021, 4:30 pm My NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M cant do transluscent shadows either. I wonder if its because its a mobile (laptop) one, possibly.
@Adelade,

Just curious if your laptop has more than one graphics card? My current laptop has the aforementioned AMD Radeon R7 on the motherboard and a separate AMD Radeon R8 M445DX card. When Links boots up it reports that it is using the graphics adapter mounted on the motherboard (R7) which I believe is typical for Links. If Links is reporting something other than your Nvidia card, you may have to resort to the dgv@@d@@ wrapper to get Links to recognize/use your Nvidia card. If Links is reporting your Nvidia card, not sure why you can't get translucent shadows.