Admin Permissions in Win 8.1

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Bit Left

Admin Permissions in Win 8.1

Post by Bit Left »

I did search this and got no results, so I hope this is not repeating a previously asked question.

I am running Links 2003 v1.07 in an Explorer folder sequence that goes Windows > Program Files (x86) > Links 2003. The series of folders within Links 2003 runs the gamut from 1033 to WAVS. I doubt this is news to anyone, but that's the big picture.

When I unzip and install courses - successfully - they are view-able in the COURSES folder. There is a folder immediately following this - GAMES. I have saved a few games - in practice mode mind you, I haven't saved a non-practice game yet. Mostly I'm doing this to preserve a particular set of playing conditions and location on a hole so that I can develop yardage charts - learning by doing. This is still early days for me and 03.

I would have expected those saved games would appear in the GAMES folder. They aren't. What I do know is that any time I install a course, I am told I need Admin rights to do so. I just click OK that I have them and press on. Is it possible I don't have Admin rights to view info in some Links 2003 folders, and is that concept totally out in left field?

If there is some merit in this premise, any ideas on how to gain admin rights? I know this is done via the Properties settings that appear when you right click a folder, but messing with this stuff is not my strong point.

With thanks.
Adelade

Re: Admin Permissions in Win 8.1

Post by Adelade »

I have nothing in my GAMES folder either, no clue what the folder is for, if anything. But saved games are usually at C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Links 2003\Saved Games . Location of some Links-related files can vary based on your system and such, this document (made by Armand, I think?) can be useful to help locate them: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
PinHi

Post by PinHi »

Nothing in my games folder also. This may be simplistic or not what your looking for but - while in game click "Play Golf" next screen just under that it has a button "Load Saved Game" and all your saved course should be there. Even practice ones if they have been saved will be there. Hope that might help.
gator

Post by gator »

Bit Left wrote: July 5th, 2021, 3:39 pm I am running Links 2003 v1.07 in an Explorer folder sequence that goes Windows > Program Files (x86) > Links 2003...
Based on where you indicate you are running Links from, I'm guessing you allowed Links to install itself into its default file location. You didn't provide which version of Windows you are running but if it is Vista or newer AND you allowed Links to install into its default folder AND you didn't install Links with administrative rights (as opposed to running/playing Links with administrative rights), then Microsoft's VirtualStore is controlling where Links looks for and saves files, not you.

If that is the case, follow the link Adelade provided and use Armand's Google doc spreadsheet to determine where the VirtualStore is placing/looking for each/every Links file.

If you would like to read about the VirtualStore and how you can avoid it, check out this post of mine from a year or so ago - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=318&p=2138#p2138.
Bit Left

Post by Bit Left »

You are all the best. I must have an aversion to looking myself up under Users > Me > Documents. Behold, Links 2003 was there. One only has to pay attention.

Will look forward to checking out the links provided. Another Case Closed. :clapping: With thanks. Don