Golf Club Visuals

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Weeler

Golf Club Visuals

Post by Weeler »

I've had this question in mind to ask the LINKS community for some time now. I'm not sure if this is the correct LC Forum to pose it or not...but here goes. I've also sent a couple of PM's to our 'resident' add-on golf club designer Saramago, and he wasn't sure about it either. With many of us players and designers discussing some pretty technical aspects of the LINKS software and all the tips and tricks that may be out there, here is the question I have :

Is there ANY way that the head sizes of all of the Woods / Metals on the clubs we use be sized correctly based on their "number" ?

All the large clubs look like the Driver. 3-7 woods should look the appropriate size in my mind. As I mentioned earlier, there are aspects of design and gameplay that have been brought up that are far more technical than this that have garnered attention. I'm sure there are many who think that the issue I'm bringing up is pretty trivial or whatever, but I would hope that there are a lot of others who would like to see that particular graphic realism
be a part of this great game. I guess I'm asking "where" this change could be made ? Deep in the software, or not so much. OR...doesn't anyone actually
have access to make changes like this. ( That's why I contacted Saramago ), I thought maybe the club design at his level could just be altered.

If anyone has any feedback on this query , add to the thread. Thanks !
pmgolf

Re: Golf Club Visuals

Post by pmgolf »

(Retired programmer) As a part of the structure of the Links game, a file is used for the player's clubs. In that file are three "definitions" - a Wood, an Iron and a Putter - each represented by a .tga file. When you play the game, you only see 3 clubs - a wood, an iron and a putter. You don't see a sand wedge when you get in the sand, and you don't see a 5 wood head when you choose a 5 wood. If you could have a 5 wood head you would have a 5 wood .tga file in your clubs.l3 file - but you don't. There is only one wood that is defined. You could change the head to a 5 wood head, but then all your wood shots would look like a you're hitting a 5 wood. There are only 3 possible clubheads that will show. A wood, an iron and a putter. Sorry.

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

There will only be one 3D model for say the woods so all you can do is cover it in different textures representing the different wood sizes.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Thanks for the clarification on this, guys. Even though it's unfortunate that the program is written like that. Oh well, that's the way it is.