Links 2003 and Windows 11: is there cause for concern?

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
MrT

Links 2003 and Windows 11: is there cause for concern?

Post by MrT »

Hi.

I was wondering if the first disclosures about the forthcoming Windows 11 are cause of concerns for Links 2003 players? Sadly, I am not not enough tech-savvy to be in a position to judge. And, unfortunately, due to other needs, I am not sure that I will be able to avoid the upgrade from Windows 10 to 11.

Thank you.
MrT
Still Linksing

Re: Links 2003 and Windows 11: is there cause for concern?

Post by Still Linksing »

There is no way to know till it’s released.
There are still many ways to fix games that stop working even if Links was to break. Unfortunately some games can’t be fixed.
Windows 10 killed Links LS 2000 but Links 2003 runs brilliantly well. We just have to wait.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

You can get Windows 11 as a BETA download if you are in the Insider Preview program.
Do NOT install this on anything but a virtual machine though! You've been warned. :)
Slattery

Post by Slattery »

They can jam Windows 11 up their backside. My perfectly fine i7 4790k cpu will not be compatible with it!
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Well said, Slattery!

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys. There's always the option to boot up to Linux from a USB drive. From what I hear, Links runs well on Linux. I've never used Linux before, but one of my sisters does. She boots up from a USB thumbdrive and runs almost all of her programs. She claims it's pretty much like using Windows, but easier. And it's not a resource hog. Sounds logical to me. Have any of you guys ever played Links from Linux?

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Still Linksing wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:08 pm There is no way to know till it’s released.
There are still many ways to fix games that stop working even if Links was to break. Unfortunately some games can’t be fixed.
Windows 10 killed Links LS 2000 but Links 2003 runs brilliantly well. We just have to wait.
Do you know if Linux will run Windows 2000? :unsure:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
MrT

Post by MrT »

Danny D wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:43 am Hi guys. There's always the option to boot up to Linux from a USB drive. From what I hear, Links runs well on Linux. I've never used Linux before, but one of my sisters does. She boots up from a USB thumbdrive and runs almost all of her programs. She claims it's pretty much like using Windows, but easier. And it's not a resource hog. Sounds logical to me. Have any of you guys ever played Links from Linux?

Dan
Dan, I use Linux, I have actually a dual booting machine so every time I start my machine I can decide if I want to use Windows 10, Linux Mint, Linux Ubuntu. The USB thumbdrive is a way around not having to install Linux on a Windows 10 Machine. A further alternative, at least if you have a strong CPU and resources, you could install Linux on a Virtual Machine within WIndows 10.

However, as far as I know, Links does not run well on Linux, unfortunately. There was a period where some people tried and you cannot just run a Windows program in Linux like that. Not in general, at least. There is a program called Wine (Wine is not an emulator, that is the meaning of Wine) that allows to run Windows programs in Linux. However, the rate of success is proportional to the amount of time someone invested in creating the version that runs from Wine. As far as I knew, Links was not a success story in Wine. The game would start, but the issues were of the heavy kind. And I do not believe that it has been improved as of the last time I checked, several months ago.
Where did you find out that Links runs well on Linux. I reckon that it could, but not just like that from Windows to Linux.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Danny D wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:45 am
Still Linksing wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:08 pm There is no way to know till it’s released.
Do you know if Linux will run Windows 2000? :unsure:

Dan
Only way you can do that is either by installing Linux (say Mint. Mint is easier as all the drivers get installed for you) as your OS and then you could
install Windows 2000 in a VM (virtual machine) inside Linux Mint. This requires that you have the image for the Windows 2000. If you are still using Windows 2000 on the old computer, you may not have the physical resources for it. Any reasonably working VM requires at least a 4 core CPU or you
need Job's patience. My 2000 laptop still runs Windows ME, but that is just me wanting to keep my Compaq laptop which I bought with my first bonus at work and which, at the time, was a $4,000 laptop.

I never thought along these lines and I like your plan. However, I do not have Windows 2000 and could only test Windows 10 in a Linux Mint as a VM and then try to run Links from within the Windows 10 VM. What stops me is that for this I would need to buy a new Windows 10 license. VM or not, Microsoft wants to get paid!
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

MrT wrote: July 13th, 2021, 3:02 am
Danny D wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:43 am Hi guys. There's always the option to boot up to Linux from a USB drive. From what I hear, Links runs well on Linux. I've never used Linux before, but one of my sisters does. She boots up from a USB thumbdrive and runs almost all of her programs. She claims it's pretty much like using Windows, but easier. And it's not a resource hog. Sounds logical to me. Have any of you guys ever played Links from Linux?

Dan
Where did you find out that Links runs well on Linux. I reckon that it could, but not just like that from Windows to Linux.
Thanks for that info Mr T. I had heard some years back that Links worked on Linux, but I have never been involved with Linux and know nothing about it. One of my sisters uses Linux and was talking to me about it recently. She said she has a lot of programs that run well on Linux. I misunderstood the way it functions so my questions came from a lack of knowledge about what I was talking about. :oops: :laugh:

What made me think about it was Links 2000. For some odd reason it won't run in Windows 10. As the older machines and hardware start dying out, as it is now, and everyone is forced into Win 10 or 11, I was wondering if it might run on the newer machines under Linux. Have you ever heard of anyone using Links 2000 in Linux?

Thanks again for your input :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses