3 click classic swing glitch for me

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
jack12k10

3 click classic swing glitch for me

Post by jack12k10 »

Hello all, thanks for letting me in this community..played this game when it came out years ago; now reloaded the game from this site...here is my issue on the classic swing...every few or up to every 5 swings, when I click for first back swing, the meter on its own stops about a sixth from bottom...I have a high level dell laptop...ive tested this on two different mouses which are your everyday logitech mouses...any ideas?..tx.
pmgolf

Re: 3 click classic swing glitch for me

Post by pmgolf »

One possibility would be to try a newer (or older) video card driver. That has made a difference with other problems not all that different from yours. Google can help you through it! :smile:

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Perhaps something running in the background? You could check "task manager" to see if anything is occupying the cpu.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

First of all make sure you have patch 1.07 and the Nvidia patch, both available at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

I would first eliminate the mouse as a cause by using the keyboard instead. I use the 0 key on the number pad as my swing key. If you encounter the same glitch using the keyboard, then its likely you have a video card issue. If so, you should first try changing your video card drivers. This is an issue with Windows 10 and may require you to disable automatic updates for your system devices or else Windows will update you back to the driver that's giving you issues. I would look to a video card driver from some time around 2011 or so, when they still considered compatibility with Links. Unfortunately, many laptops don't have a slot for adding a different video card, but rather expect you to use the onboard graphics section of the cpu. If rolling back your graphics driver a decade or so doesn't do the trick, you have to decide whether you want to spend some money in order to play an online game that began over twenty years ago. I use a Macbook Pro for business and personal financial purposes while still using a trusty ol' Win 7 desktop for playing legacy games like Links. You could literally use an old Win XP pc for Links if it has enough RAM and a decent video card. What I am suggesting is that you might find it easier and less expensive to buy a good working 10+ yr old pc than pay to trick out your laptop with new graphics hardware. Hopefully rolling back your drivers and using Windows 7 compatibilty mode for Links (right click the icon for Links, then properties, then compatibility tab, Run this program in ... Windows 7 compatibility mode) does the trick for you.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I have had this problem occasionally. The ideal solution is to start the game from a fresh boot-up, without running any other programs beforehand. I have an 8GB video card and 8GB of RAM, but Windows is constantly performing some tasks behind the scenes such as memory defragging, and that can interfere with the timing in your swing. I would even disconnect from online if you're not playing anyone else.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 1:21 pm I have had this problem occasionally. The ideal solution is to start the game from a fresh boot-up, without running any other programs beforehand. I have an 8GB video card and 8GB of RAM, but Windows is constantly performing some tasks behind the scenes such as memory defragging, and that can interfere with the timing in your swing. I would even disconnect from online if you're not playing anyone else.
Hiya Fooooore. :tiphat: I notice you mentioned "defragging" in your comment. As knowledgeable as you are, this may not be for you, but I just wanted to pass on a warning reminder to those that use SSD harddrives that may not know. Solid State drives are not supposed to be defragged. Only the mechanical drives...

Best wishes,

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Danny D wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 5:15 am
FOOOOORE! wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 1:21 pm I have had this problem occasionally. The ideal solution is to start the game from a fresh boot-up, without running any other programs beforehand. I have an 8GB video card and 8GB of RAM, but Windows is constantly performing some tasks behind the scenes such as memory defragging, and that can interfere with the timing in your swing. I would even disconnect from online if you're not playing anyone else.
Hiya Fooooore. :tiphat: I notice you mentioned "defragging" in your comment. As knowledgeable as you are, this may not be for you, but I just wanted to pass on a warning reminder to those that use SSD harddrives that may not know. Solid State drives are not supposed to be defragged. Only the mechanical drives...

Best wishes,

Dan :cheers1:
Right you are, and in fact there is no need to since there are no mechanical moving parts on an SSD that slow down the disc-based variety when it needs defragging. I also try to install all new software to a non-SSD, because another thing that is not commonly known is that SSD's eventually "wear out" after some MTBF number of reads/writes. So if an installer wants to put a program on C: by default, I always switch that to my F: drive; unfortunately not all installers give you that option. Plus, most of us have relatively small SSD's because of the cost, so it just makes sense to put most stuff on a stack of platters.