The Old Antialiasing Bugaboo

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
jurg48

The Old Antialiasing Bugaboo

Post by jurg48 »

It became very apparent almost immediately after the Links Platform arrival on the scene, that AA was almost a must application to utilize in conrtolling the obvious distraction of the "Infamous Jaggies) that appeared and still does in most if not all Stock and Custom course desingns. Fortunately in my case, I was always to force the AA application into all courses Links featured by overriding any application setting within the Nvidia Control Panel. Since my early computer days, I have always have had GTX Nvidia graphic cards and was never faced with having to deal with the Jaggies. My preferred settig was always AA set at 8x and Anissotropic Filtering at 16x. When I was a regular at this forum years ago I would often comment on the fact that if I could not force AA into the Links courses, that I would quit Links entirely. Many people were not bothered by the "Jaggie" look but it used to and still does drive me crazy. I should mention however, not everyone using Nvidia cards could force AA at will into Links courses. This might have been due to other hardware conflicts within their machines. I have used most series Nvidia cards from the early ones all the way to the end of the 9000 series. Throughout all that there were never any issues with overriding the application settings. When I moved Links to Windows 10, I also went to a Nvidia GTX 1060 dual fan 6gb card and that's where it all ended. Forcing AA now by overriding any application settings results in grapnic abnomalities whithin the game like dissappeating golfer and othe visual glitches. I thought that Windows 10 was responsible for not allowing the override of AA. I might have to rethink on that because I am still able to force AA into my TW08 game no problem. Runnin Links with AA settings set to Application Controlled or Enhance the application setting. might improve the look slightly however there are enough "Jaggies" visible, to be a visual annoyance.
Weeler

Re: The Old Antialiasing Bugaboo

Post by Weeler »

I, too, am very much annoyed by the "jaggies". I only have an Nvidia GeForce GT 710 card, on an HP PC w/25" monitor. I've tried a LOT of changes in the Nvidia Control panel for the Links Game, and the following is what I ended up with to minimize the problem :

AA Filtering: 8X
AA Mode : App Contolled
AA Transparency : Multi-sample

This seems to work for me, but as you said everyone's system / graphics card is different. Otherwise, my graphics look pretty darned good, and gameplay is smooth even at highest "detail" settings.
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

Weeler wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:00 pm I, too, am very much annoyed by the "jaggies". I only have an Nvidia GeForce GT 710 card, on an HP PC w/25" monitor. I've tried a LOT of changes in the Nvidia Control panel for the Links Game, and the following is what I ended up with to minimize the problem :

AA Filtering: 8X
AA Mode : App Contolled
AA Transparency : Multi-sample

This seems to work for me, but as you said everyone's system / graphics card is different. Otherwise, my graphics look pretty darned good, and gameplay is smooth even at highest "detail" settings
I am curious, what platform are you playing this on? If it is Win 8 or earlier try setting your AA to "Override any application setting" and run it at 8x. If you are not on Win 10 platform that I am almost sure the override application will work and very few jaggies will be visible. Your graphics card is definitely vintage, but with Links it should not be a problem. The AA Mode: App Controlled does very little if anything to improve the jaggie visibility. You literally have to force AA into the Links game by overriding the application setting. It should give you a very improved visual result. Let me know the result.
chad

Post by chad »

I have some ideas that might help out. I will gather some info and post it here in a bit.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

OK, I'm running WIN 7 ( and am a bit hesitant to upgrade to WIN 10 at least for playing Links ). I know 7 isn't supported by MS anymore, but overall it works well on my set up. I tried setting the AA Mode to: "override any application settings", and the result was a few blips and flashes and the start up Links logo came on then the entire screen went black and never came up. ( I thought everything "crashed" ). I then rebooted my PC, and changed my
Links game settings in the Nvidia Control Panel AA Mode to: "Enhance any application setting". BTW,, my AA "Setting" is set at 8x . This time the result was pretty good, but the jaggies seemed almost the same as before. So, I'm sort of back to "square one" EXCEPT that I changed the AA Mode.
I'm confused about the AA "Settings" section. I have multiple options to choose from , as you've probably seen already on yours. Of the following which setting would you guys recommend for my card : 2x, 4x, 8x, 8x CSAA, 16x CSAA, 16xQ CSAA, or 32x CSAA ?? As I mentioned earlier, I have it currently set at 8x. I have a feeling I'll never really get rid of the "jaggies" altogether, but the smoother the better.
Thanks for your help.

Weeler
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Weeler-you're not the only Linkster who stayed on #7 for Links. :laugh:
chad

Post by chad »

Ok...this comes with a bit of warning. Each monitor calibration, video card settings, OS, etc. could have a different results. So your 'mileage may vary' with my suggestion for improving video in Links. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, and have tested multiple settings extensively. I've found these settings work remarkedly well with my PC setup. I passed these settings to another Linkster with a Nvidia card and it worked great for his setup as well. As everyone know, Links 2003 was not shipped with AA capabilities. Adding this to the game can work, but the results are varied. I feel these settings provides the correct balance with skies, panos and the main cam. This is designed for players with Nvidia card only.This should reduce the jaggies seen in the game significantly, but not eliminate them them completely. Hope you find this useful! :thumbup:

1. Download Nvidia Inspector https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dztxh81a07m8 ... r.zip?dl=0
2. Unzip someplace on your hard drive. Launch nvidiaProfileInspector.exe
3. From the Profiles drop down menu, select Links 2003
4. In the files you unzipped is a file entitled NPI Settings.png. Open it.
5. Match these settings. Other settings above this works...but the results I've found are lacking, like washed out panos, skies are too bright, etc.
6. After selecting these changes, click the Apply Changes button. Close the app down. These settings will be applied indefinitely or until you make another change.
7. Next, open the Nvidia Control Panel. From the left side list of options, click Manage 3d Settings. In the files I provided, open NvCP1 3D Settings.png, NvCP2 3D Settings.png and NvCP3 3D Settings.png...this will display the Program Settings I have setup for Links. Match what you see in these screen grabs. You can boost the Antistrophic filtering to 16x if you want, but on my machine it brightens things too much and washes out the pano.
8. If you made any changes in Manage 3d Settings, click the Apply button on the lower right corner.
9. Still in the Nvidia Control Panel...from the left side list of options, select Adjust Desktop Color Settings
10. Open the NvCP Adjust Desktop Color Settings.png, and match those settings. Click Apply and close the NCP.
11. Launch Links, and load a course that you were having display issues with (aka jaggies). I like to test Pinehurst #2 HD, first tee. Another course great for skies and pano validation is Zeitsbergen. You may have to adjust the contrast and brightness a bit, to calibrate with your monitor and find the settings you like. I have a Samsung curved monitor, and these settings looks top notch on my equipment.

Hit 'em straight and again, I hope this helps resolve your display issues in Links 2003.
Attachments
2021-04-03.png
2021-04-03.png (2.7 MiB) Viewed 4294 times
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

I have been using the Nvidia Inspector for a number of years now. My settings I use for Links2k3 are very similar to the ones you use with the exception of a couple. I tried all the ones that you apply for Links. There are still jaggies especially around the edges of bunkers and cart paths. It is better than no AA application but not as good as it used to be when you could force AA into the game with an AA setting of 8x no problem. Over the years I have probably run about 8 or 10 different model Nvidia cards in 5 different Windows platforms. I always forced AA into Links with an 8x setting. Minimal jaggies until moving Links to Win 10. It is no loner possible for me to override the existing application without resulting in abnormal visual problems within the game.I believe this man having the jaggies with a 700 series card is not going to benefit much from using the Inspector and the settings you run for Links. If I recall, I at one time ran a Series 780 Nvidia Card quite a few years ago. Forcing AA into Links with that card was no problem whatsoever. I ran Links on Win 7 for a number of years. The truth here is probably the point that you made. Other hardware issues such as the motherboard, main drive or monitor issues could be the culprit here. This game is not demanding to the point where you would need a radical upgrade to play and enjoy it with descent resoloutions. BTW, judging from your screenshot, I would say your AA is working pretty good. Without AA applied, your Tee Marker would have jaggies running up both sides of the post. :thumbup:
chad

Post by chad »

I've played Links 2003 since day one, and all other versions before it. I can safely say that the game has never looked better than it does now. I spent hours finding the right balance of settings that works for my machine. Close up and long distances looks stellar. Without them it looks pretty rough.

Another important note is to make sure the latest Nvidia video card drivers are installed. :thumbup:
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

chad wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:56 pm I've played Links 2003 since day one, and all other versions before it. I can safely say that the game has never looked better than it does now. I spent hours finding the right balance of settings that works for my machine. Close up and long distances looks stellar. Without them it looks pretty rough.

Another important note is to make sure the latest Nvidia video card drivers are installed. :thumbup:
First of all I think I speak for everyone here who has read your post regarding the AA matter that we very much appreciate the time you took to convey the AA information to this forum. I would like however like to expand somewhat on the last comment about the latest video card drivers being installed. This is a very good practice to maintain consistant and optimal graphic output on your machine. The latest driver update for your card however will in all likelyhood not be a cure for graphic issues that you are experiencing in the 2K3 game. The fact is that there is a driver update availabe usually every month and on occasion twice a month. When these updates become available they also come with a description of what this update addresses. These updates usually occurr to fix bugs in recently released games and that is about it. They do not address issues in older applications. Why is that? Because no one who is a true gamer cares. Maybe someone here can, but I can't think of one driver update and there have been many, that has actually been truly beneficial visually for the LK3 game.