Still Having Problems With L2K3 In Wn 10?

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
jurg48

Still Having Problems With L2K3 In Wn 10?

Post by jurg48 »

I am going to go over a few things that might help you solve any issues you might be having. Before starting, a couple of suggestions. First of all ,I would recommend that you purchase Links 2K3 in the downloadable version from the Links CC. Two reasons: that download is already updated with all the necessary patches and fixes and secondly, if a reinstall is necessary, it will save you a lot of time. I also have the original game disc but the downloaded one is much easier to work with and is well worth the few bucks that they are asking for it. Back the download up to a thumb drive incase you encounter a computer crash. Enough said about that. For the sake of time and space I will asume that you all know the file path to the Links 2003 Display Settings folder. If, not let me know in this post and I will review the proceedure. In this folder you will notice 3 columns (Name - Type - Data) Under the Name column you only need to concern yourself with 2 values.Under Depth, make sure that the value in the Data column is set to 1.If not, double click on Depth and in the "type window" which comes up change it to that number. Check the Mode value and set it to 14 if it is not. Double click Mode like Depth to change. Don't mess with anything else, it should all display 0 except for Default which should display (value not set) I always tell people if you go into the Registry tread lightly unless you really know what you are doing. Keep in mind that these registry tweaks are intended to fill the entire viewing screen on whatever type of monitor you are using. It also provides you with the native resoloutions of your monitor. In my case I am running at 1920x1080 (32 Bit ) on a (60" Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D Widescreen). My res. are not listed under the Graphics Tab within the game. In the game they only go as high as 1680x1050. Ok, final tweaks. Leave a short cut to the Links game on your desktop. Right click it and click on Properties tab on the bottom. Next, click on the Compatibility Tab. Put a checkmark in the box next to Run this Program in compatibility mode for: and highlight Select Windows Vista. This last thing is what took me awhile to figure out and it might be crucial for you as it was for me. On the bottom of the Properties page is a bar titled Change high DPI Settings. Click on it to open, * Only check the bottom box (Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by Application). That's all. Remember,run the game at your native monitor resoloutions, as well as Administrarator. Finally, go into the game, and on the main page hit the Tab Options. Hit the System Info Tab on the bottom of the screen. This will give you all the information you need as well as the actual resoloutions you are running the game at. Don't tinker with the Res. in the Games Graphics folder. The tweak in the registry controls the resoloutions within the game. :cheers1:
Adelade

Re: Still Having Problems With L2K3 In Wn 10?

Post by Adelade »

While Im sure this is a good post overall - it for sure might help some people, which is great - I dont know if following these exact steps is going to be a good idea for ALL win 10 users and setups just because of facing some type of issues. For example, you said these registry tweaks are intended to fill the entire viewing screen on whatever type of monitor one is using, and you said to use mode 14, but thats not gonna work for everyone (unless Im being confused about something?) And for some win10 users, ideal display settings can be achieved without using the registry edit at all. Again, I dont mean to put your post down, I just felt like it is necessary to add these caveats.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

Adelade wrote: March 31st, 2021, 6:31 am While Im sure this is a good post overall - it for sure might help some people, which is great - I dont know if following these exact steps is going to be a good idea for ALL win 10 users and setups just because of facing some type of issues. For example, you said these registry tweaks are intended to fill the entire viewing screen on whatever type of monitor one is using, and you said to use mode 14, but thats not gonna work for everyone (unless Im being confused about something?) And for some win10 users, ideal display settings can be achieved without using the registry edit at all. Again, I dont mean to put your post down, I just felt like it is necessary to add these caveats.
The Registry Tweak probably would be insignificant if you are running this game on a regular computer monitor say 25 to 30 inch. Mainly because the native resoloutions on these fore said size screens 1680 x1050 max if they are a bit older. This tweak mainly addresses people that use widescreen tv's as computer monitors. Infact the newer model tv's run a native res. rate that is well over 2400xyou name it. I said in the beginning of my post that it might solve problems screen fill related and the ability to run at higher res. than what is available in the games res. options. In case you are unaware, there is a destinctive visual difference between 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 not to mention the difference between 16 and 32 bit color. I also realize that the majority of Linksters still playing this game are not owners of higher end machines designed for the modern frame rate which is now required in most of the games featured today. Even Mike Jones"s Perfect Golf demanded certain requirements that a lot of people with computers here would have to reduce certain features within the game to minimize lag.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

jurg48 wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:35 am First of all ,I would recommend that you purchase Links 2K3 in the downloadable version from the Links CC. Two reasons: that download is already updated with all the necessary patches and fixes and secondly, if a reinstall is necessary, it will save you a lot of time. I also have the original game disc but the downloaded one is much easier to work with and is well worth the few bucks that they are asking for it.
I recommend you get the CD's. The download is missing a bunch of things like courses and I think animations. It's no more "modern PC" friendly than the CD's so why would you want to miss out on the full and complete game?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse