Please Help Installing New Course Downloads

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
seenred

Please Help Installing New Course Downloads

Post by seenred »

Hello!

New member, first time post. Let me first apologize if I'm asking questions that have been covered elsewhere - if that's the case I'd appreciate anyone who can direct me to those threads...I've not found a thread yet that addresses my problem.

So I was gonna start playing online tournaments, and this week there was one played on Bay Hill 2016 Tournament Course...which I don't have in my course menu. So I downloaded the course here as a zip file (crz file)...which I then extracted. This is where my trouble starts. I can't figure out how to get the extracted course file into my course menu in Links2003.

After extracting the zip(crz) file, I click on the course download, and this is what I get:
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (121 KiB) Viewed 2800 times

I've tried both Opening and Saving the file...nothing. I am accustom to extracting zip files, then using an autorun or something similar to install, but I'm not given that option with this file. Please forgive me if the answer is obvious, but I'm stuck. Can anyone guide me on how to install newly downloaded courses into my course menu?

Thanks!
Red
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Please Help Installing New Course Downloads

Post by Andy »

The easiest way to get the course playable in Links is to move or copy the crz file to the COURSES folder. Then, the next time you fire up Links the course should be available.

On my machine this is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003\COURSES but I can't guarantee that the path on your machine will be the same.

The other option, and one I use, is to store crz files in a folder of your choice and then use the Course Manager in Links (in Options) to add the course.

Hope this helps.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

If clicking "Save", you can afterwards find whatever file it is in your Downloads folder, and then extract (if a Zip file) or move (if a CRZ file). Picking Open wont work for what you want to accomplish if its a CRZ file.

Something that may help clearing confusion is that the CRZ file is a course file (to be handled by Links), not a program (therefore it cant run or install by itself).

Welcome to the forums :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
seenred

Post by seenred »

Thank you both...that was just what I needed! I'm not tech illiterate, but maybe pretty close :dunno:

Thanks again...hit 'em straight!
Red
dick burt

Post by dick burt »

I have win10, looks like you have that also.
Every time I download a zip course file & extract the crz , to the course directory, it goes into the virtual store. So I made a short cut &
put the icon on my desktop right above the Links icon.
When I click on it takes me to "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\COURSES"
than I can cut & paste the crz file into the course file.
This seems like a easier way for me.
Hope this helps