issues with links reg edit taking effect

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
g3b

issues with links reg edit taking effect

Post by g3b »

I am having trouble with the links screen reg-edit taking effect. I go through the procedure as described in the linkscorner posts. The laptop screen resolution is 1600x900 therefore I am trying 1440x900 (mode 11). I've got the procedure down because it works by the book on my desktop. The laptop is an old HP running a AMD 6410 apu with embedded? graphics ati radeon R5 with windows 10 with 8gb total ram. I installed d/l version of links, next the 1.07 patch then the nvidia patch. (links is installed in a separate folder on main drive not in the program folder & runs at 1280x720)

Thanks for your replies,
g3b :surrender:
Adelade

Re: issues with links reg edit taking effect

Post by Adelade »

In what way isnt it working? I think I've heard that some screen within Links reports a different resolution being in effect than the one that is actually in effect, after using the regedit. Might this be the case for you? You can control check it by taking a screenshot and looking at the properties of the screenshot file.

If the above is not whats going on for you, are you using the DirectX wrapper program? Possibly the settings within that one might take priority (although honestly my guess would have been that it'd be the other way around)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
gator

Post by gator »

Once you have made your changes in regedit, you can verify your Links screen resolution settings by going into Links/Options and selecting the 'system info' button at the bottom of the screen. The 'Video Resolution' there should reflect the option you entered in regedit. Choosing 'Graphic Settings' in the Settings box on the same Options screen may or may not report the correct 'Display Mode' (it doesn't for me on my laptop). Do not attempt to change your video resolution from here after your regedit.
g3b

Post by g3b »

When I do the reg-edit & fire up the game it says that the game can't play at a 'minimal resolution' and will start at 800x600? Then I go into graphics in game & reset to 1280x720...

g3b
gator

Post by gator »

You might read this thread, https://www.lspn.net/community/viewtopi ... =7&t=11982, where the OP had similar issues and pay particular attention to the 12th post down by Armand. His suggestion is to force Links to open in windowed mode to get past the error message you receive. You may then be able to adjust Links resolution from within the game. As your max resolution is 1600x900, you might choose mode 5, 6, or 7 (1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x800 respectively) instead of mode 3 mentioned in Armand's post as mode 3 exceeds the vertical resolution of your video card/screen.
g3b

Post by g3b »

When I open the graphics dropdown within the game I notice an asterisk (*) after each resolution. I am going to add the video text(in game) file using dxdiag software to see if that works. Will report how that works.

g3b
g3b

Post by g3b »

I Will have to live with the lowered resolution in links am not able to get the reg hack to stay.
Thanks, guys for your help.

g3b
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Did you try gator's suggestion while using a different mode than 3?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
g3b

Post by g3b »

I am using 1280x720 resolution 32bit. Am surprised to be able to apply 16x af & 8x aa, with little or no course defects or rendering issues...

Thanks again,
g3b :fcrossed:
jurg48

Post by jurg48 »

gator wrote: March 8th, 2021, 12:09 pm Once you have made your changes in regedit, you can verify your Links screen resolution settings by going into Links/Options and selecting the 'system info' button at the bottom of the screen. The 'Video Resolution' there should reflect the option you entered in regedit. Choosing 'Graphic Settings' in the Settings box on the same Options screen may or may not report the correct 'Display Mode' (it doesn't for me on my laptop). Do not attempt to change your video resolution from here after your regedit.
This is very sound advice from Gator. After the registry tweak stay out of the Graphic Settings within the game. This is something that a lot of people ignore but should adhere to. :thumbup: