Differences between demo and paid version

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
dougcoppock

Differences between demo and paid version

Post by dougcoppock »

I've looked around for an answer but had no luck. I'm a big fan of the old Links games and i downloaded the demo version and although i probably will have issues with the video, I was pleased with how it worked, but I simply cannot stand the "real time swing" method. Before purchasing a full copy, i wanted to make sure the other swing methods would be available. Can someone give me some guidance on that? I also still have all my old courses. It sounds like I'll be able to use or convert those. Is that correct!

Thanks for having a community that understands how many people think that the Links series was the absolute best for Windows PCs!!
Adelade

Re: Differences between demo and paid version

Post by Adelade »

Welcome to the forums :smile: Links 2003 has 4 different swing types, Im no expert on the ones I dont use but perhaps I can give a brief summary.

Easy Swing - sort of plays the game for you, you dont have to worry about mishits, only estimating aiming and power needed then watch the result.
Classic Swing - You click once to start the swing simulation, then watch a swing meter quickly filling up and you have to correctly time a second click for power and then a third click for accuracy when the meter goes past the ideal spots. Only afterwards does the golfer perform the swing animation.
Real Time Swing - you tried this one, vertical mouse movement and real-time animated.
PowerStroke - Sort of like Real Time Swing except horizontal, and there is a timing click involved when hitting the ball. Animation happens afterwards.

You can probably find videos showing them if searching youtube for Links 2003 + name of swing.

Course converting information at https://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-course-converter
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Adelade wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:57 am Classic Swing - You click once to start the swing simulation, then watch a swing meter quickly filling up and you have to correctly time a second click for power and then a third click for accuracy when the meter goes past the ideal spots. Only afterwards does the golfer perform the swing animation.
Three clicks for Classic Swing? Interesting. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time. I've always done 2 clicks for as long as I can remember. Click and hold to begin the swing meter. Release mouse button at 12 o'clock. Then click 2nd time for snap at 6 o'clock.
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

SLucey wrote: August 12th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Adelade wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:57 am Classic Swing - You click once to start the swing simulation, then watch a swing meter quickly filling up and you have to correctly time a second click for power and then a third click for accuracy when the meter goes past the ideal spots. Only afterwards does the golfer perform the swing animation.
Three clicks for Classic Swing? Interesting. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time. I've always done 2 clicks for as long as I can remember. Click and hold to begin the swing meter. Release mouse button at 12 o'clock. Then click 2nd time for snap at 6 o'clock.
You've not been doing it wrong. There are two click options - 2 click, or 3 click. One of the best things about Links 2003 is that it has so many options for everything. :thumbup:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
dougcoppock

Post by dougcoppock »

Thanks Adelade! I'll get the full version and get down to enjoying my favorite golf game again!!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I see, I'd heard of people calling it both 3 click and 2 click but I thought the 2 just didnt count the start one.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Adelade wrote: August 12th, 2020, 6:16 pm I see, I'd heard of people calling it both 3 click and 2 click but I thought the 2 just didnt count the start one.
Yes, you can click and hold until the meter reaches 12 oclock (so only 1 click). let the click go and then click again at 6 oclock for the 2nd and final click. I have played both ways, but find the 3 click to be easier for me to judge than using the 2 click method. I'm rubbish with any of the other swing types. :rofl:

Cheers, AJ
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

SLucey wrote: August 12th, 2020, 2:19 pm Three clicks for Classic Swing? Interesting. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time. I've always done 2 clicks for as long as I can remember. Click and hold to begin the swing meter. Release mouse button at 12 o'clock. Then click 2nd time for snap at 6 o'clock.
I find that even more interesting. I think when MS first released this game, they had looked at another golf game on the Apple IIgs that also used the 3-click method, and decided to mimic that just to make it easier to switch to their game. Mean 18 had the power meter running as a vertical line along the left edge of the screen and I recall asking (begging?) MS to offer that option, but Bill told me "Go away, Apple loser!" I had no idea you could 2-click. Probably won't switch to that, I'm 67 and a change like that could mess me up permanently.