LVT Pressure Factor

Discuss Golfer Animations, Clothing, Clubs, MOP's, Soundscripts, Seasons, Rosters and all Career Mode related plus any External Programs here.
mwc0914

LVT Pressure Factor

Post by mwc0914 »

I've developed an algorithm that combines the player's WGR, their position on the leaderboard going into the final round, and a factor that you can set.
The higher on the leaderboard, the more pressure, the higher the player WGR, the the "lower the pressure...they handle it better" and a factor you can set from 0 to 10 where 10 is the most pressure packed.

Right now if a high WGR person is in the top part of the leaderboard, and you set the factor to 10, I have it possibly adding about 3 strokes to the player's score. If a lower WGR person is at the top part of the leaderboard, then it would probably add more strokes. If the top WGR person is further down the leaderboard, it would also lessen the pressure and lessen additional strokes. If the factor were less, then there is less pressure all around and less chance of additional strokes. A factor of zero will only use the course and round difficulty settings to modify the score.

So say we're at The Masters final round, and Jon Rahm is towards the top of the leaderboard. You set the factor to 10. His score will probably be 3 strokes higher than if there were no pressure. Remember, course and round settings already may impact a player's score as well.

Does 3 shots sound good as I explained, or should it be 4 or 5 for the top WGR at the top of the leaderboard with a max factor of 10?
3 shots is not guaranteed. It depends on a random number against the algorithm value that is calculated.

Also finished the ability to update the rosters each season. It is complex and I will create a video instruction for it.
Adelade

Re: LVT Pressure Factor

Post by Adelade »

Nice!

Is the factor per player or for all players per tournament? I first thought it was the former but guessing it is the latter?

It is only for final rounds it sounds like, right?

Lets say Jon Rahm had been tied 20th going into that round in otherwise the same example, how many (probably) added strokes would it have been then instead of 3?

I think its very hard to say whether its enough or not without testing. One concern I have is that the per-hole RNG might not be enough to create a natural diversity between how different players handle the pressure. In real life, some players tend to get effected a LOT while others seem to only thrive in the situation. Im thinking it might inevitably become either too low of an effect or else effect all players too consistently to make it noticeably easier for the player. Therefore, Im thinking - Would it be possible to add a factor of RNG that determines whether the effect takes place at all per player, in addition to the RNG of each hole? Then the effect could be set high, without it causing all players in the top to probably get effected to some degree. Say, maybe a 50% chance per player of whether the effect happens at all. Perhaps thats getting too complex and slowing calculations down too much though, I dont know.

Either way, even if one has to set the effect low to avoid making it too easy for the player, even the little bit of pressure should be a nice bonus :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
mwc0914

Post by mwc0914 »

I like your concept :thumbup: ...

I can set up a player profile where you can set in general the player does better/worse than average as a whole. Assume you can set Jon Rahm at 20% better than average under pressure. Then for each hole of each round, you can adjust the value per hole per player of your choice. Depending on the value set, a player may actually lower the score on a hole (those who do well under pressure), or add a stroke (do not do well). However, I think the PF should only be applied in certain situations. I don't think Rahm's 20% better each hole should apply overall each hole of every round. The situation may be say final round only and all players within say xx shots of the lead are affected by their pressure setting per hole, the rest have no pressure, regardless of their profile setting.

I can also allow the option for any player not manually set to have the AI set values at random for all holes, or be set at "average" for all holes.

I think there should be a cap of the chance a player will add/deduct a stroke per hole..say 50% chance? Don't think it is good to possibly have some players say get 80% plus chance on a hole to add/deduct a stroke. If the random numbers go in one direction, that could really lower or raise a score unrealistically, I think.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sorry I dont think Im following what you mean in the last post, at least not how it would work in practice. Perhaps I didnt make myself clear on what I had in mind either by the way.

I was thinking, before the hole calculations, the system goes through each player with a 50% check to see if they either get effected by the pressure or not. Then about half the players skip the pressure factor entirely for the whole round and the other probably-half of the players take the pressure effect exactly how you described in the first post. Perhaps it cant comfortably be calculated that way though, I dont know. Not saying it should be like that way anyways, just explaining how I meant.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
cloeks1

Post by cloeks1 »

I don't think you should over complicate this. It should be kept simple and not have huge effect on scoring. Would this be applied only to players within a few strokes of the lead?
mwc0914

Post by mwc0914 »

Easy to apply a 50% check if a player is going to be affected this time or not. Then not every player is affected to some degree.
I would have a random number for each player compare to 50%...thus sometimes there may be more, sometimes less than 50% of the players affected. Could allow you to select how many strokes back might be affected. No need to possibly have players down the board have pressure.