Career Mode Settings/Roster

Discuss Golfer Animations, Clothing, Clubs, MOP's, Soundscripts, Seasons, Rosters and all Career Mode related plus any External Programs here.
doclawler

Career Mode Settings/Roster

Post by doclawler »

I'm hoping someone (or many people) can share with me the best career mode roster to use, as well as the proper settings needed to get realistic scores and finishing results using career mode. I've tinkered with a couple of different roster sets (a recent 2019 roster set and a 2009 set, I think it was), and I've been somewhat unimpressed with both. In one of them (I can't remember which), the scores were fairly realistic after round 1, but the leader went on to shoot the exact same score for each round. In the other, the spread in the field was way too high (scores from 66 up to 86 or something after round 1, with only a few players under par. It was almost like they allowed the local high school team into the tourney to round out the field). Any suggestions? I don't know if what I'm seeing is strictly related to the roster set or if it may be a result of modifiers or something that I haven't played around with.
Adelade

Re: Career Mode Settings/Roster

Post by Adelade »

If all players shoot the same score in all four rounds, that should suggest you dont have the 1.07 mod because one of those 1.05 to 1.07 updates fixed that. Maybe you mean it was just that leader that one time though, which could probably happen on rare occasions no matter what settings you use, but certain roster settings can definitely make it more rare.

I could share mine but I have an odd mix of names so you'd probably want to change most of those, and then you almost may as well use the other rosters you mentioned and edit the numbers and variables etc instead. I'd be happy to instruct how to do so in order to achieve as realistic scoring as possible. In fact I probably made a post about that a while back that I could link to instead... Yeah someone asked pretty much the same question in this thread so check my reply post and the links within it (if that first link makes things too complex and you dont care about understanding the finer details you're totally fine skipping it and just going with the info in the 2nd link): viewtopic.php?p=6298#p6298

Something I've discovered since then also, is that it matters how many players you have within tournaments. To keep the roster more squeezed together in terms of scoring it is good to have a lot of players playing and just ignore the "high schoolers" at the bottom (to some degree they seem kind of inevitable no matter which settings), so personally I started using 180 in each tournament even if Im playing for example The Masters and in real life they have a much smaller field. It may also be good not to cut too many players out with the cut to keep the roster from spreading out too much on the final days of a tournament, though that is only a suspicion I have.

I have also made some more tests with challenging or mixed conditions that suggest the green setting modifiers simply dont work and the field seems to score the same no matter which green settings (or maybe they only work when both firmness and speed are non-challenging. Its a shame but not a deal breaker for me. Plus, that is based on very brief testing so it could ultimately be incorrect.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Oh and also, there is a "Career Mode Fix" at https://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2003-v107 that you probably want to get if you dont have it already, I have no idea what it fixes though.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sorry one more important thing to keep in mind - if you have a realistic roster and achieve realistic scores, it can be difficult to get your first win, and one first win per Career on Pro level is REQUIRED to at all be eligible for the Invitational level of tournaments (in addition to any tournament-specific eligibility settings), so it can be a good idea to make a season where the first Pro level tournament (in week 2 after Amateur Q-School) is very easy to win. Otherwise you will miss out on participating in Invitational tournaments even if you've played well and placed high until you get that first win. You can withdraw from that "easy" setup season after the win and play your real season immediately after - the one win per Career never "expires" your eligibility for the Invitational level.
Dixieman

Post by Dixieman »

Adelade wrote: July 1st, 2021, 7:34 pm Sorry one more important thing to keep in mind - if you have a realistic roster and achieve realistic scores, it can be difficult to get your first win, and one first win per Career on Pro level is REQUIRED to at all be eligible for the Invitational level of tournaments (in addition to any tournament-specific eligibility settings), so it can be a good idea to make a season where the first Pro level tournament (in week 2 after Amateur Q-School) is very easy to win. Otherwise you will miss out on participating in Invitational tournaments even if you've played well and placed high until you get that first win. You can withdraw from that "easy" setup season after the win and play your real season immediately after - the one win per Career never "expires" your eligibility for the Invitational level.
Adelade,

A win is required for invitational tournaments only if you set it up that way. In the seasons I create, I usually limit the eligibility requirement to be within the top x (x being whatever number you choose; I usually go with 50) of the rankings thus far in the season. Sometimes I'll add in that you have to have one or two top tens for the season, but not often. I hardly ever use the "win" requirement for eligibility.
Doug
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I know what you mean, but trust me, if you have not won a single tournament on Pro level yet in one specific Career, you cant qualify for Invitational tournaments even if you have reached those milestone type of eligibility settings like you mention, or in fact even if the Invitational tournament have no selected eligibility settings at all. It sure is harsh.
Dixieman

Post by Dixieman »

Adelade wrote: July 1st, 2021, 10:57 pm I know what you mean, but trust me, if you have not won a single tournament on Pro level yet in one specific Career, you cant qualify for Invitational tournaments even if you have reached those milestone type of eligibility settings like you mention, or in fact even if the Invitational tournament have no selected eligibility settings at all. It sure is harsh.

You know what, you are right. You have to be invitational eligible first, and then also satisfy the qualification requirements for that particular invitational tournament, to get in. I don't know what the criteria is to move from "professional tournaments" to "invitational tournaments" eligibilty.

By the way, I like your Whirlpool course very much!
Doug
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Will there be a seniors roster?

Just wondering... :whistle:

Oops-I mean a "Champions" roster. :oops:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Dixieman wrote: July 1st, 2021, 11:15 pmYou know what, you are right. You have to be invitational eligible first, and then also satisfy the qualification requirements for that particular invitational tournament, to get in. I don't know what the criteria is to move from "professional tournaments" to "invitational tournaments" eligibilty.

By the way, I like your Whirlpool course very much!
Exactly, winning once on Pro is what bumps the player's Eligibility level listed on the left in the Career main screen to Invitational. Thanks about Whirlpool :smile: (though dont give me too much credit as I didnt make the course itself which was made by Kevin Fraser - I only made the facelift)
doclawler

Post by doclawler »

Thank you to everyone for your responses and suggestions. I will keep tinkering and try to find something that works for me. The most frustrating part is that it's so darn difficult to 'test' something. New career, etc. etc. just to see if what you're trying is working.