Update Augusta Greens

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
nicodaft

Update Augusta Greens

Post by nicodaft »

Hello everyone I hope you are doing well !For some time I have an idea that goes through my head. I can no longer play Augusta and see round after round that the Greens are no longer on their real shapes. The work of the designers has been extraordinary but after 10 years the greens deserve to be reworked.

So I propose myself to do this work and I wanted to know if it could interest the past designers and use their courses or new designers to rebuilt a new course. Cheers ,Nico.
pmgolf

Re: Update Augusta Greens

Post by pmgolf »

What makes you think the greens at Augusta National aren't as near perfect as they can be? I was there in 2016 during the Masters and I was amazed by how similar the greens appeared to be to what we have in Links. I guess you must have been to the course in real life many, many times to get the opinion you have. The course has been done, and redone, and redone, and redone by the very best course designers we have in Links for a period of at least 11 years.

If you want to see what the very best golf designs look like, do a search for courses done by Mike Jones and play any of them! That's what perfection looks like - or at least as close to perfection as I have ever come across.

Pete
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Agree Pete........Mike Jones the god of Links 2003 designers.................

Sage...... :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

To be 100% honest, I was expecting such answers as I dare to claim that a fantastic job requires some adjustments.

These designers did an absolutely wonderful job and I can say that they are gods.

I didn't have the chance to go there like you, but I maintain Greens are not perfect according to my researches.

Everyone has their own opinion, thank you for your answers, if anyone is interested in this project, he or she just has to respond to this post. Otherwise, I'll do it at home, by my side.

Nico
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

If you think you can do better, you're certainly welcome to try! :bookh: :dunno: :whistle:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

pmgolf wrote: February 1st, 2021, 7:09 pm If you think you can do better, you're certainly welcome to try! :bookh: :dunno: :whistle:
I remember that last update of Augusta in Links was done using the EA version of TW 2012 that featured Augusta as old version to play as well as how course is, then 2012. Since then I have not seen or heard of any changes in greens or other holes at Augusta, maybe just the fairway sand traps on hole #5 to speak of. Andrew Jones was the main designer for all the updates starting out with some very rudimentary course versions of Augusta from the very beginning of Links around 2000---one being Magnolia Lane, also Mike Jones, Anders Besserman and Wayne Hewitt were involved at times that can recall and real elevations for EA game were somehow put on overlay, much the same as can do Strakaline making for perfectly accurate greens elevations for last version put out. There were back and forth posts that TPC San Antonio might get done, but never transpired as was a course in TW 2012 not in Links and played on tour every year.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

gene_golf wrote: February 1st, 2021, 9:43 pm
pmgolf wrote: February 1st, 2021, 7:09 pm If you think you can do better, you're certainly welcome to try! :bookh: :dunno: :whistle:
I remember that last update of Augusta in Links was done using the EA version of TW 2012 that featured Augusta as old version to play as well as how course is, then 2012. Since then I have not seen or heard of any changes in greens or other holes at Augusta, maybe just the fairway sand traps on hole #5 to speak of. Andrew Jones was the main designer for all the updates starting out with some very rudimentary course versions of Augusta from the very beginning of Links around 2000---one being Magnolia Lane, also Mike Jones, Anders Besserman and Wayne Hewitt were involved at times that can recall and real elevations for EA game were somehow put on overlay, much the same as can do Strakaline making for perfectly accurate greens elevations for last version put out. There were back and forth posts that TPC San Antonio might get done, but never transpired as was a course in TW 2012 not in Links and played on tour every year.
Gene,
I don't understand. What does your rambling post have to do with mine?

Pete
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

pmgolf wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 1:08 am
gene_golf wrote: February 1st, 2021, 9:43 pm

Gene,
I don't understand. What does your rambling post have to do with mine?

Pete
I gave history of how greens at Augusta came to be in last version done here in Links. Because Strakaline not available for Augusta's greens even today the elevations at Augusta were allowed to be scanned by EA for TW 2012 game and were overlaid into APCD grid by Andrew Jones along with I believe John Aherne's help heretofore not mentioned previously. This nicodaft person just recently joined never have heard of previously in forums had the nerve to ask that previous designers of course might offer him help to open up their locked course version---so as could redo already realistic greens most would think, but not nicodaft. I have a sense of wonderment about this topic being brought up surely as you, yourself expressed.
nicodaft

Post by nicodaft »

Ok, ok, guys,please excuse me. I just wanted to say Greens should be adjusted ´cause on my mind they play not as good as they could. My apologizes if i hurt somebody. That’s true i ´ve been on no filter mode, no presentation, etc. Thats a fault.

I hope someday i will finish the job i ´m doing on this course and why not present it to a moderator. The result will truely be 10000000 Times less pretty than the Gods we mentionned. No comparison possible. But thats my opinion , i ´m not satisfied when i play on Augusta greens on Links ( As beautiful this Course has been released , all are masterpieces!
) and i would like to be . And once its done, why not share with others, thats would be nice.

Nico
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Cant you share what your research was that led you to believe they're not as perfect as they could be? Pretty sure that everyone are mostly just curious
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...