3D objects and bridges problem

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
ponkey

3D objects and bridges problem

Post by ponkey »

Hi all

does anyone know if it's possible to make 3d objects to put in the object library ? and if so how ?

I'm having trouble with bridges over the burn at Carnoustie and the ones in the APCD are not suitable.

I made some out of terrain but when I took the course into links 2003 they do not appear in the topcam.
I made "stand alone " ones and hovered them into place, didnt work.
So I extruded them across from one bak to the other. (only attached at one end), didnt work either.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Peter
Danny D

Re: 3D objects and bridges problem

Post by Danny D »

Hi all

does anyone know if it's possible to make 3d objects to put in the object library ? and if so how ?
Yes, it is possible. However, it is so complicated and requires special software with someone that knows how to use it, that it's not worth pursuing.

I made some out of terrain but when I took the course into links 2003 they do not appear in the topcam.
I made "stand alone " ones and hovered them into place, didnt work.
So I extruded them across from one bak to the other. (only attached at one end), didnt work either.

Any thoughts?
Many thoughts, but none that will pinpoint your problem. I'll say this to start. I have made dozens of custom "terrain-built" 3D bridges for use on Wakonda Club and The National Golf Course of Kansas City, and every one of them show up in all views, including the top views in Links 2003.

I can only think of 3 things that would cause 3D objects to not show up in the TOP CAM views in Links 2003. Please keep in mind these are speculations on my part, and may have nothing at all to do with your actual problem. I am not saying you did anything wrong. I'm only pointing out what your problem MIGHT be. Here are the 3 things I can think of...

1: Using a 3D bridge from an object library. (3D items from the object libraries are invisible in the top CAM view of Links 2003)

2: If it is custom made from terrain, the "FACE" material might be turned inside-out. You can only see faces from one side. If you look at it from the BACK side, it will be invisible.

3: You may possibly have a graphics issue with Links 2003 to where certain graphics are not showing up in the top cam. If they are visible in other cams, but not the top, I would suspect that might be the problem.

Suggestion. Load up my courses and take a look at the bridges in the top cam view (Wakonda Club and The National Golf Course of Kansas City) All of my bridges are custom terrain built. If you can't see mine, you have a graphics problem in your top cam. If you CAN see them, but not the ones you are building out of terrain, it might be something your are doing wrong. Just guessing here. :dunno:

Good luck,

Dan

Many thanks

Peter
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Can confirm what Dan said, custom 3D should show up on top cam.

Are you planning on sharing your work after it is finished? :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Thanks so much for the help Dan and Adelade.
I will certainly try everything you said.

Played this game for a while now and never noticed 3D object library stuff not showing in topcam. You learn something every day.

And yes of course I will be sharing Carnoustie at the end.

Peter
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi

First of all,

Love your courses Dan, the planting is exquisite and your 3d buildings etc are sensational. Do you use the extruding of each face and deleting the "none" textures technique on every face ?

Here's what all my testing has found.

Whenever I make a bridge out of official APCD terrain, I see the bridge in topcam, but as soon as I use a designer made terrain it vanishes.

I even made one out of official concrete terrain and put a man made one ontop and it was visible !

So we seem to have a solution. But can anyone suggest if anything can be done to make the designer ones work on their own ?

I'm off to try to clone an official one and then change to designer.

Thanks in anticipation

Peter
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

ponkey wrote: January 27th, 2021, 9:04 pm Hi

First of all,

Love your courses Dan, the planting is exquisite and your 3d buildings etc are sensational. Do you use the extruding of each face and deleting the "none" textures technique on every face ?

Whenever I make a bridge out of official APCD terrain, I see the bridge in topcam, but as soon as I use a designer made terrain it vanishes.

I even made one out of official concrete terrain and put a man made one ontop and it was visible !

So we seem to have a solution. But can anyone suggest if anything can be done to make the designer ones work on their own ?

Thanks in anticipation

Peter
Hi Peter. Thanks. Glad you like my courses.

I build my bridges and buildings and 3D structures "off plot", and then drag them back to the plot and position them there they need to be placed. I did a tutorial on how to build a simple 3D house that will step you through the entire process of laying out the foundations, building the walls, roofs, windows, doors, and adding the textures to the plots, and then removing the shadows. Perhaps watching the video might tip you off on something that you may be missing when applying your own textures. Here's the link to my tutorials.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212&start=10

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
PatAuge

Post by PatAuge »

Danny D wrote: January 28th, 2021, 7:34 am
ponkey wrote: January 27th, 2021, 9:04 pm Hi

First of all,

Thanks in anticipation

Peter
Hi Peter. Thanks. Glad you like my courses.

I build my bridges and buildings and 3D structures "off plot", and then drag them back to the plot and position them there they need to be placed. I did a tutorial on how to build a simple 3D house that will step you through the entire process of laying out the foundations, building the walls, roofs, windows, doors, and adding the textures to the plots, and then removing the shadows. Perhaps watching the video might tip you off on something that you may be missing when applying your own textures. Here's the link to my tutorials.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212&start=10

Good luck,

Dan
Love to see some of your work Dan

Cheers
Pat