18 tees. 9 greens, 2 flags per green

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
brooks2345

18 tees. 9 greens, 2 flags per green

Post by brooks2345 »

I have a problem with a course I'm building. There are 9 different fairly small greens, but 18 different tees (so the first green is also the tenth, etc.). When I'm playing to a green, two flagsticks show. When you're on the green, the flagstick to pay for is obvious, because the pin's out. However, on any shot from off the green it's impossible to tell which flagstick you're going for, because they're pretty close together. Links originally only had 18-hole courses but the problem was confined to only those courses (like St. Andrews Old) with large double greens, where both flagsticks showed and it was obvious which one to go for. However, with small greens, there's a problem.

The only solution I can envisage is to split the greens so that only one flagstick shows - but it looks awful!

Any ideas?

Cheers

John Brooks :helpsmilie:
brooks2345

Re: 18 tees. 9 greens, 2 flags per green

Post by brooks2345 »

Nope, have tried splitting the greens, but still have 2 flags showing for any shot off the green. The only other solution I can think of is to make sure when planting pins that "hard" "moderate" and "easy" for each flagstick are kept apart as much as possible.

Cheers

John Brooks :unsure:
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

I wouldn't think it would be that much of a problem if people use "spot pin" to identify the correct one to go for. I could be wrong :whistle:
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

Thanks Stephen. Just thought there might be a way of getting one pin per green but can't see it.

Cheers

John Brooks
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi John-if this is the course you told me about I might consider simply doing 2 identical 9 hole courses-the "18 Pin" capability is hardly ever used-and it sounds like it wouldn't apply here anyway. That's about all I can suggest...other than that you might suffer a "royal" pain! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Sorry abouthat... :whistle: :naughty:

But I'll never doubt your word again!
BTW-will HRH be there? :whistle:
Last edited by Jimbo on December 23rd, 2020, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

John, how about duplicating your course - make a copy of it and lay it out beside your existing course. Play one as the front nine and the other as the back nine. The tees could be in a different place as they are on the nine that's played twice. Gets the same thing accomplished.

Pete
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

Thanks guys. Making a duplicate is possible but leaves a lot to be desired. I've used Stephen's suggestion and made it clear to use "display"/"spot pin" if in doubt. And, no, I don't think HRH s there, unless Andrew's playing but I think he's graduated to much more challenging courses!

Cheers

John Brooks
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

DAMN! I guess "My husband and I" don't hit the ball the way they used to! :rofl: