Grass Properties

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sagevanni

Grass Properties

Post by sagevanni »

Who knows the best settings for grasses to give a little resistance like normal deep grass...???
props-1.JPG
props-1.JPG (52.69 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
Send me a pic of yours so I can see your settings.....

Thanks.....

Sage..... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
pmgolf

Re: Grass Properties

Post by pmgolf »

I always set Density to "Low" and Dampening to "Less". I've been told that when there are a lot of grass objects together like you get when you're planting a few strands at a time, the Density and Dampening of the objects add together - that's why it's almost impossible to escape from the tall grass.

Some examples of this effect are at Liberty National, Liberty National Presidents Cup and Old Head. Even at those low settings for Density and Dampening, the tall grass is harder to escape from.

Pete
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

As Pete said :thumbup: The deep grass properties added to that are good settings for the heavy stuff.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I agree that it depends on how densely they are planted. Personally I have lighter (not so thick) grasses pretty much exact same as the settings you show there, some more thicker-looking ones I slide the dampening to around 20% (its on 10% in your picture) and bushes I tend to have around 30% but it depends on how thick and dampening individual objects look to me. Maybe it would be more realistic to have even higher dampening, its pretty dang tough to play golf through vegetation in real life, but I think it makes for a better gameplay experience leaning to milder dampening - players cant know the settings beforehand anyway. I usually keep all my objects at 100% density setting because otherwise you introduce a luck factor of the ball sometimes just randomly going through without being dampened - despite going through an actual part of the object image. If the object file has a proper alpha channel the ball can go through unhindered in the natural gaps instead of by random luck.

Honestly anything is fine as long as you dont have steel bounces or dampening set really high. I believe the Liberty National grasses for example are set to 70% dampening or something, indeed really lethal.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

What about the "pass through" setting....????

Sage.... :smile:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

sagevanni wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 6:59 am"pass through" setting
Absolutely vital for grasses! Name of the setting can be easy to misinterpret but if checked it just means the density and dampening settings apply for the whole of the object and that no part of the object will give actual hard bounces. If you de-click it the red-white box appears, within which there will be complete steel properties, as far as vegetation goes it is only for objects with trunks/branches.

I know you just needed a reminder - I tend to forget what exactly the setting does now and then myself :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks All.....................

Sage.... :smile: :smile: