Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
braden1308

Re: Winged Foot West - issues - UPDATE

Post by braden1308 »

Lez Marwick wrote: September 19th, 2020, 9:23 am
braden1308 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:56 am If you had a course get screwed up after opening some one else's it more than likely it was something you did and not the APCD
You're probably right. There are no bugs in APCD and any issues must be down to designer error! :rofl:
There are plenty of bugs in the APCD and there are designers who think they know everything
Last edited by braden1308 on September 19th, 2020, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
braden1308

Re: Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Post by braden1308 »

Danny D wrote: September 19th, 2020, 7:09 am

Glenn. Tell us if you get the same results...
I didn't get a copy of the file
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

braden1308 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 10:38 am
Danny D wrote: September 19th, 2020, 7:09 am

Glenn. Tell us if you get the same results...
I didn't get a copy of the file
He said he was sending it to you and I, and that he would send it tomorrow, but he shot me a quick copy before he went to bed. I thought he probably sent it to you too. He may send it to you tomorrow. I'm sure he anxious to see if someone can get into it for a look. I find it really strange that he can open these files and I can't. :unsure:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks Dan, I will check when I get home from work
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

on its way glenn, thanks.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

what if there is a bad texture? I may of clicked 32-bit textures when I created my custom textures, would that cause these issue?
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

also, make sure 2Ds are turnoff when you load the course file
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

so far so good, I was able to open the course file. now it's time to see if I can find the problem
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dorse72 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 3:40 pm also, make sure 2Ds are turnoff when you load the course file
AHA! I did not have 2D's turned off when I originally tried to load it. Maybe that's why it didn't open for me. :unsure:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Here are my my latest findings with WFW...

After I turned off 2D Objects, I was able to open the course in the APCD with no problem. First thing I did was select the PLANTING tab, and then the SELECT tab, and then I pressed CTRL+A to select all 2D objects that may have been on the course. About 7 of them showed up next to the 1st tee as white outlined boxes, which indicated that there were some there, but were not visible due to being disabled. Next I enabled 2D objects, and the APCD locked up and would not respond...

After re-starting the APCD, I repeated the process and this time I deleted the ones that were highlighted. I did a SAVE AS and renamed the CRZ, and exited the APCD.

Then I opened it again, and repeated the process one more time. To my surprise, one more 2D object showed up. :unsure: Odd that it didn't delete when I deleted them the first time, but at least that object popped up on the object list and I identified it. It turned out to be a pine tree from the 2001 planting set. Pine tree019.btx to be exact.

I deleted that one too, saved and re-started the APCD again...

Next I opened the course again in the APCD and enabled 2D objects. No problems came up. After that, I started single-planting trees in random places around parts of the course. I planted somewhere around 150 trees, without any issues. However, I made sure I only used trees from the 2003 object library and default planting set. I saved the course, and then re-opened it again in the APCD. Everything looked like it was working as it should, as long as I didn't plant any 2001 objects. At that point, I was happy with the results.

HOWEVER!

After that, I tried once again to open the course I was working with in the Extender again. NO GOOD! It was still returning the message "Index outside the boundaries of the array". That had me puzzled. It looked like it was working OK in the APCD now, but why was the Extender having problems dealing with it?

I did a Google search on that error message, and all I found was a lot of talk among programmers about how to fix it by changing the parameters of the index within the program code. I am not a programmer, and besides, I don't think we can get access to the code to the APCD, so as far as I was concerned, I had reached a dead end. :dunno:

Still, it seemed like I was able to plant again, and save CRZ's again, so I don't know if that error is just something being misinterpreted between that CRZ and the extender, but still worked OK in the APCD. That's what it seems is happening...

With that, I told dorse to take my saved CRZ and make an attempt to plant it again, but DO NOT use any 2001 objects. Here's the story on why he was using them....

Back when he and I first got together, he was trying to get several older courses updated. I agreed to do Colonial for him. Every time he tried to open and work with Colonial, he had some old corrupt trees on it from the 2001 object library. However, he didn't have an APCD with the 2001 plants added, so he was not able to do anything with them. At that time, to get him to where he could access those 2001 objects and deal with them, I sent him an APCD with both object libraries added to the planting set, so that he had every stock object available. That way when he ran across one, he could select it and work with it.

As a result, he is still using that full 2001/2003 planting set. When he started to plant his course recently, he began using 2001 objects. I'm thinking some of them are corrupt, like Lez had pointed out to us in a tutorial, and that may have began his headaches with his APCD locking up. I also am thinking that the object corruption may have corrupted the index boundaries which is causing the error with the extender.

So bottom line is, there's a possibility he may actually be able to plant the course using 2003 objects. I told him to switch over to a copy of the APCD with only the 2003 objects enabled in the planting set, so he can't inadvertently plant more 2001 objects. I advised him to plant part of the course, and then take it to Links to make sure it's playable. It's the only thing I know to try to keep him from starting all over. He has so much great work done to it at this stage, it would be a shame to do it all over again. :sad:

One final word...

I tried everything to get that CRZ opened in the Extender. Here's what I know.
The original course from the designer that he took over for, opens up fine in the extender. So something happened to the course during the time dorse started to work on it. All I knew to try was to clear the textures and make sure none of them were causing the extender error. I eventually went as far as selecting 100% of the textures and programming them all back to the default rough that comes with the plot. I then saved it, deleted the USER.LIB, and then re-opened it again in the APCD. Every custom texture was now gone and the entire course, clubhouse, bunkers and all, were now grass, just like a new plot. The only textures left were the stock ones. The course still opened in the APCD, and it validated and saved as normal, but when I tried it again with the extender, I got the same error as always. That tells me he didn't have a bad texture.

So I pretty much give up now. All he can do is hope he can plant it with the 2003 OL, and make it playable in Links. What the heck, it's worth a try.

Cheer's y'all, :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses