Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
dorse72

Re: Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Post by dorse72 »

Can we try to come to a conclusion why this course won't accept or even turn on when I have a couple 2Ds in the ground. perspective and top view work fine with no 2Ds.

would it be bad 'Top Views' ?? I've deleted the 2Ds and created fresh planting sets multiple times, even opened the course files on a brand new APCD with no user.lib so it could create it's own.

Has to be a reason why, so strange why i can't plant 2D's - even on my powerful iMac Pro running Parrallels, which is amazing for graphics, so powerful.

my old laptop running Vista has always been great with the APCD, but when I switched hard drives as the last one crapped out, I had to re-install APCD, so I found the old one and just copied it over to the desktop from a USB Drive backup. Is there a chance something didn't come over correctly, then I opened and saved the WFWest file from Rospen and corrupted it in the very beginning back in March??

Adelaide mentioned the Extender 1.07, I don't know how to use that, and right now being so frustrated don't want to get into it. But if it will salvage this course, then I'll take anything. the course is great, very playable, and I love the way it looks.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

AGAIN, HERE IS THE VERY LATEST as of 9/18 3:45pm CST USA -

OK, I've tried everything the last 3 days to get this course to work, 5 different pc's, even my nice iMac Pro running Windows Parrallels, but it has come down to the course itself being possibly corrupt from the very beginning back in March when I started working on it. I didn't think to try it out in Links or plant because I do that at the end.

Here is the issue, I can get 2Ds to turn on, and a couple times I got as far as getting about 20 trees planted on the 1st hole and after a successful V/Save Links crashes/freezes during the shadow loading portion at 66% and 81%, and HERE is the kicker, that particular course file is now corrupt and not openable in APCD after that, good thing for all my backups!

I just can't get 2D objects to turn on in the APCD, hence I can't plant, place, and get them to look right. I just don't get it. I deleted all 2Ds and created new planting sets on a FRESH APCD install like 3 times and on multiple PCs. Windows 10, Windows 7, Vista, Mac running Parrallels. BTW, Parrallels doesn't work well with APCD, can't rotate camera, VERY frustrating

I turned to Harding Park this morning, planted on it, V/S, and everything worked good, even opened in Links, so it HAS to be this course file from the beginning right? So if that's the case, I've lost everything I've done in the last month, and this course was really, really good I thought, loved the way it looked.

I'm sending it to Glenn or Danny, or possibly someone else who has a DEEP knowledge of the APCD on a programming level like AJones did back in my day. if they can get it planted per my instructions, the course can be saved, otherwise I know of no other solution.

Sorry for the bad news, I just hate I built it up and the US Open and no course, just sucks. I guess I send some screenshots for everyone's enjoyment?
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Blame it on 2020
:(
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dorse72 wrote: September 18th, 2020, 9:44 pm AGAIN, HERE IS THE VERY LATEST as of 9/18 3:45pm CST USA -

I'm sending it to Glenn or Danny
Send me the course Eric. I'll take a look at it for you.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

Duglis wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:09 am Blame it on 2020
:(
that was funny!
braden1308

Re: Winged Foot West - issues - UPDATE

Post by braden1308 »

Lez Marwick wrote: September 18th, 2020, 11:52 am The user.lib is just what it says, a user library. It is perfectly ok to work on multiple courses of your own using one APCD because the user.lib will be consistent with all of them. The problem comes if you are loading other people's courses into your APCD, because their user library is embedded within their course and will merge with your own. If you load up someone's course to extract tga's or even just to have a look at how they constructed something and it uses custom textures then it will screw up your course if you then load yours in and later save it, without swapping out the user.lib first.
If, like me, you are working on updating other people's courses then it is imperative to keep the user.libs from getting corrupt and the easiest way to do this without having to remember to swap user.libs all the time is to use a separate APCD for each course being simultaneously worked on. Another reason for separate APCD's is if you are using lots of custom objects and you don't want them permanently stored in your object library because you are not going to need them for other courses. :thumbup:
We fixed courses for other designers all the time with custom textures when they had an issue they couldn't straighten out on their own and then would go right back to work on our own course files and never had issues. If you had a course get screwed up after opening some one else's it more than likely it was something you did and not the APCD
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

dorse72 wrote: September 18th, 2020, 9:43 pmopened the course files on a brand new APCD with no user.lib so it could create it's own.
I realize you may have mentioned the user.lib simply as yet another thing you tried just for the sake of trying everything, but I wanted to inform of the distinction just in case - its the object.lib that handles objects, while the user.lib is about textures.

That said, I suppose since you mentioned a different course worked fine (although, didnt you say you had nearly similar issues with Colonial? The key to figuring out the underlaying problem could potentially be somewhere there, if you have ideas on what might separate the different courses), and since you tried fresh installs, that does indeed make it seem like its something about the course file rather than libraries.. Intriguing.

One thing that crossed my mind as something I would check if it was me: Are there any 2D objects on the course already? If there arent supposed to be any - try checking the course checklist at the top right corner of APCD (the checkmark), click Details and see if it actually says zero 2D objects or not. If there are any hidden objects lurking, I would try 2D > Select > All (from the top menu) > delete and then see if the problem persists.

About Links Extender and if it should end up coming down to you wanting to try it, it is a really simple little program, at least in terms of extracting a few objects planted on a clean course file for the sole purpose of extracting them, which should be intuitive enough. Only confusing thing might be why there are multiple object files listed per object but simply ignore those not named "A". We could give detailed instructions if desired though.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

dorse sent the crz to me to look at. Here are my findings...

He sent me 2 CRZ saves that were done close together. One was after he added a few plants. I tried to open them in my APCD, but neither of them would open. They both went into a long read with the little cursor circle spinning endlessly, and eventually going in to the "APCD Not Responding" mode. I gave both of them 5 minutes each before giving up...

Next I tried to open both of those files with the Links Extender. The idea was to take a look at the various graphic files included. No good. Here is the message returned by the Extender. It don't look good Eric... :fear: :sad: Perhaps someone can speculate as to what that means. In either case, I can't get into the CRZ to look at it. :surrender:

Dan

Glenn. Tell us if you get the same results...
Attachments
wfw1.jpg
wfw1.jpg (185.54 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

braden1308 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:56 am If you had a course get screwed up after opening some one else's it more than likely it was something you did and not the APCD
You're probably right. There are no bugs in APCD and any issues must be down to designer error! :rofl:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Lez Marwick wrote: September 19th, 2020, 9:23 am
braden1308 wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:56 am If you had a course get screwed up after opening some one else's it more than likely it was something you did and not the APCD
You're probably right. There are no bugs in APCD and any issues must be down to designer error! :rofl:
There are plenty of bugs in the APCD and there are plenty of designers who pretend they know everything