Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
dorse72

Winged Foot West - issues - last chance I guess

Post by dorse72 »

testing the course and it's getting hung up on the 'creating shadows' file @ 67%. Anyone know why this is happening? can't move on till I get this solved. been one problem after another today, I think my hard drive is crashing, laptop taking like 10min to boot up, of course it happens today on the eve of the US Open, my fault for waiting till the last minute I guess. :rant:

I did backup my course on a USB stick however, so good news there

UPdate - so, I have been able to plant about 5 trees and open successfully in a new version of Links 2k3 I bought of LC, so great news here! Im using my mom's old laptop with Windows 7, crazy it works. No issues at all so far with planting 2Ds and moving them around and turning views on/off.

my NEW problem is I've lost all my seam blends for some reason. looks like all my textures are there, did a mapping library not make it's way over? NO way am I going to remap all 400 some mappings for bunkers, fwys, fringes etc.

OK, I've tried everything the last 3 days to get this course to work, 5 different pc's, even my nice iMac Pro running Windows Parrallels, but it has come down to the course itself being possibly corrupt from the very beginning back in March when I started working on it. I didn't think to try it out in Links or plant because I do that at the end.

Here is the issue, I can get 2Ds to turn on, and a couple times I got as far as getting about 20 trees planted on the 1st hole and after a successful V/Save Links crashes/freezes during the shadow loading portion at 66% and 81%, and HERE is the kicker, that particular course file is now corrupt and not openable in APCD after that, good thing for all my backups!

I just can't get 2D objects to turn on in the APCD, hence I can't plant, place, and get them to look right. I just don't get it. I deleted all 2Ds and created new planting sets on a FRESH APCD install like 3 times and on multiple PCs. Windows 10, Windows 7, Vista, Mac running Parrallels. BTW, Parrallels doesn't work well with APCD, can't rotate camera, VERY frustrating

I turned to Harding Park this morning, planted on it, V/S, and everything worked good, even opened in Links, so it HAS to be this course file from the beginning right? So if that's the case, I've lost everything I've done in the last month, and this course was really, really good I thought, loved the way it looked.

I'm sending it to Glenn or Danny, or possibly someone else who has a DEEP knowledge of the APCD on a programming level like AJones did back in my day. if they can get it planted per my instructions, the course can be saved, otherwise I know of no other solution.

Sorry for the bad news, I just hate I built it up and the US Open and no course, just sucks. I guess I send some screenshots for everyone's enjoyment?
Last edited by dorse72 on September 18th, 2020, 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
braden1308

Re: Winged Foot West - issues

Post by braden1308 »

if you planted grasses with top views that will create a large shadow file because there are so many top views to load
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

no grasses on Winged Foot, just tall big trees, thats All!! I can't even plant a tree and open it back up in Links or APCD. as soon as I turn on 2Ds it crashes, just stops and says 'not responding' I'm about done with this program
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Dorse it sounds like you painted yourself in a corner and need a break. I wish I could tell you what's wrong with your APCD and why you are crashing when trying to plant, it could be anything. If it's corrupted 2D objects you are looking at a process of trying to figure out which objects they are and not using them on the file. It's possible it could be the entire planting set that is corrupted, that happened to me on Liberty National and I ended up doing a re-install of the APCD (hope it's not something like that)

Did you add objects to the planting set after you made the original set? If you inserted new objects of the same type out of order it can make your 2D objects do odd things so if you plant one type of tree it may show up as something else when you re-open the APCD. The objects need to be added to the planting set in order and if you want to add something out of order you need to delete all the objects of that type and then re-add them in order to your planting set.

Glenn
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I may just do that Glenn, thanks btw! I think I'll delete the planting set, delete every 2D object, and start again.

maybe I'm not installing the APCD correctly

WHY is my APCD freezing up when I just turn on 2Ds on the bottom perspective view? so strange. working on my daughter's new laptop also, Windows 10, pretty nice laptop.

If i can turn on my 2Ds, i can go forward, i can't even add objects till i get this sorted
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

after playing around with it this morning, I think its a graphics card related problem. I deleted all the 2Ds, created a new planting set, planted 1 shrub off the 1st tee and bam, it freezes as soon as I try to select the shrub. won't let me select it, can't move it, freezes up, says, 'not responding' hangs there for 15min atleast and I have to close out and start over.

took a look through the course and all seems to be OK, textures and there, not flipped or messed up, blends are good, renders ok from course or hole setting even with textures turned on.

I don't know what computer to work on right now, if I get a cheap laptop just for this program, what a waste, I have a great iMac 27", but can't figure out how to run Windows on it. Boot camp and Parrallels are beyond my pc knowledge.

so its my old laptop with Vista which doesn't seem to work right as I get an 'error abort' message after every APCD save, and its sooo slow. takes 10min to boot up, I think the hard drive is going out, or my kids laptops which don't seem to like APCD. about out of ideas
dorse72

Re: Winged Foot West - issues - UPDATE

Post by dorse72 »

UPDATE - so, I have been able to plant about 5 trees and open successfully in a new version of Links 2k3 I bought of LC, so great news here! Im using my mom's old laptop with Windows 7, crazy it works. No issues at all so far with planting 2Ds and moving them around and turning views on/off.

my NEW problem is I've lost all my seam blends for some reason. looks like all my textures are there, did a mapping library not make it's way over? NO way am I going to remap all 400 some mappings for bunkers, fwys, fringes etc.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I had the exact same thing happen the other day. Every texture and seam blend screwed up. Lez told me to remove my user.lib and let APCD create a new one. That fixed it, so it's the first thing you might want to try?

Cheers, AJ
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

OK cool, won't that delete my textures and everything I need though?

after closer inspection, my textures and mappings are all there, correctly. just the textures look all wacked, here is a shot from my cell

seam issues.jpg
seam issues.jpg (364.45 KiB) Viewed 4111 times
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

What I did, was renamed my file to old-user.lib or something. That way if something screwed up I could but it back with the original name. But nothing bad happened, the problem was fixed.

With me, I had all my textures, but they all got replaced with random ones. Same with seam blends, random textures and alphas. Generating the new lib file fixed it for me. I don't know if it will help with your problem, but if not you can always go back and no harm done. Maybe somebody else has better advice or idea?

Cheers, AJ