Creating a Completely Enclosed 3D Box or Object

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

Creating a Completely Enclosed 3D Box or Object

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

Occasionally I accidentally stumble across something new (to me) in the APCD. When I do, the first thing I think of is to pass it on to others.
The reason I think it's new to me is because I've never seen it in any instructions or seen it discussed in the forums. Not so long ago I recall a discussion here in the forums on how to go about covering up the invisible side of a texture. As we all know, you can only see a texture from one side. If you look at it from the other side, it's completely invisible. I saw several suggestions about the best way to make a panel that is visible from both sides, but I never saw anyone suggest doing it the way I have stumbled across. If you guys don't know a sure-fire way to make a 3D object on plot that doesn't have any openings or seams in it, I'll be glad to make a little demonstration for you. I'm not going to take the time to do it if everyone already knows and I'm the last to find out. lol. :laugh:

If you don't know it can be done, it's pretty neat. You can extrude pipes or posts or boxes, and complety close up all openings on all sides. With it created in that manner, you can't see though it from any direction. You get a totally enclosed hollow 3D object, like a basketball or a closed box, depending on how you shape the object.

If any of you guys don't know how, and would like to learn, let me know and I'll make a post on it. If everyone already knows, go ahead and point your finger at me and laugh. I'll get over it. :tongue:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Re: Creating a Completely Enclosed 3D Box or Object

Post by pmgolf »

I haven't come up with a need for it yet, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm interested!

Pete
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

By all means, Danny. I'm interested also.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I would be interested Danny. Thank you.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

I made a short video of how the process is done. At the end of the first video I mention that I had never tested this idea with 3 verts. I know it won't work with 2, and I know it works with 4, but never had tried 3. So after I completed video 1, I thought I would test it using a triangle face. The result was fascinating enough for me to create a second video. Be sure and watch it after you see video 1.

You can either watch them online, or download them to your computer. Either way, be sure to watch them in full screen mode.

Video 1
https://mega.nz/file/oQ8XyQID#vV5ZGZSxA ... Qj802L3P3c

Video 2
https://mega.nz/file/9c0F0IZb#miEKkffU_ ... WsNw7ihedU

NOTE!!!!! EDIT! I tried working with that triangle to make a square. As soon as I split one of the edges, it removed the visible side on the top. :pcwhack: So it looks like you can't make double-sided faces with a triangle and then split any edges without it removing one side. :wallbash: :sad:

Oh well. Another lesson learned. :oops: At least you still have the option in video one...

:cheers1: Dan
Last edited by Danny D on September 1st, 2020, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Interresting Dan, :thumbup:
But is your object produce bad shadows like another object ?
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

LeWAW wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:36 am Interresting Dan, :thumbup:
But is your object produce bad shadows like another object ?
:dunno: Most any sharpened edges pulling at each other at sharp angles will most likely cause shadows. I don't see how this could be any different. But there are times when building objects in 3D that I have wanted to close off an open end of something, like hand railings or other items that may be visible on the course. This is perfect for things like that. :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thanks for sharing Dan.
Ian
PatAuge

Post by PatAuge »

Yes if I remember correctly you create faces on the underside of an extruded object.