Cropping an ASCII DEM...

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
wojo

Cropping an ASCII DEM...

Post by wojo »

My DEM file is an entire USGS quadrant... hundreds of times more than I need. I know I can import the approximate terrain area I want by windowing it in the viewer as you import it, but there's no accuracy in that process. I think I have a better idea if it can be done...

If you could produce a set of ASCII points that includes only your golf course area, you could drop the terrain exactly onto a new course of the same dimensions. I've gone into Google Earth and determined the borderlines of the area I want.. (N44.8920, N44.8843, W124.020, W124.040). Does anybody know of a DEM supplier that can create an ASCII DEM of a rectangle from coordinates?

The only other option I can think of is if you can identify and delete the extraneous points in the ASCII DEM file... either manually (sounds pretty tricky) or maybe there is or was a software that could zoom in on the set of points you need and delete the rest?

Anybody ever heard of anything like this?

Wojo
alarduran

Re: Cropping an ASCII DEM...

Post by alarduran »

Hi, wojo.
If you would want to, I could try to crop your DEM file to the desired limits (N44.8920, N44.8843, W124.020, W124.040) with a GIS software I am used to. Just make me available the DEM file by some way you prefer (WeTransfer, private message, ...).
Regards.
wojo

Post by wojo »

Thanks, Alarduran... I'm attaching an image of the target area. The coordinates are different (a larger area) than those I listed earlier. They are... W124.020, W124.038, N44.8776, N44.8956. It looks like I can't attach a DEM file here. Can you send me an email address via private messages?
Attachments
Salishan_DEM_Target_Small.jpg
Salishan_DEM_Target_Small.jpg (208.26 KiB) Viewed 4253 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

wojo wrote: August 9th, 2020, 6:10 pm Thanks, Alarduran... I'm attaching an image of the target area. The coordinates are different (a larger area) than those I listed earlier. They are... W124.020, W124.038, N44.8776, N44.8956. It looks like I can't attach a DEM file here. Can you send me an email address via private messages?
Hi wojo. Unfortunately, we can't attach files to private messages. We normally use Dropbox, or some other site to upload files to, and then send the download link along with a private message.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
wojo

Post by wojo »

Just noticed I can send a DEM file if it's zipped...

Thanks.
Attachments
Lincoln_City.zip
(33.91 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi, Wojo.

You have a pm.

Regards.
wojo

Post by wojo »

I don't understand. What's a "pm"?
wojo

Post by wojo »

Never mind... I got the files you sent. Thanks.

Wojo
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

P.rivate M.essage
Sorry. I've gotten used to the slang of this place...
:laugh:
wojo

Post by wojo »

What coordinates did you use to crop the DEM? (I know I might have confused you with the two sets of coordinates and images I gave you... My bad.) Something's not working with the DEM vs. known dimensions on the course. I applied the overhead image (attached) and scaled it so it lines up top to bottom to the top and bottom edges of the DEM. There's a red diagonal line in the image. When I measure that diagonal line in Google Earth it's 1533 yards long. When I measure the same points in APCD, it's over 2,000 yards.

I'll attach the correct image again. If it helps, the yellow box should measure about 1,555 yards horizontally and 2,190 yards vertically. If you look at the yellow box on the image, the coordinate lines are W124.020, W124.038, N44.8776, N44.8956.

Thanks in advance for checking.
Wojo
Attachments
Salishan_DEM_Target_Small.jpg
Salishan_DEM_Target_Small.jpg (208.26 KiB) Viewed 4172 times