Can you underlay an image onto DEM?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Lez Marwick

Re: Can you underlay an image onto DEM?

Post by Lez Marwick »

Danny D wrote: Some time back, I purchased an ultra-wide monitor that allows me to capture larger areas so it doesn't take as many captures to put together the entire course.
You can capture whole courses from Google Maps images in one image without the need to patch together different pieces.. instructions here:

https://www.bpwebs.com/how-to-capture-p ... he-screen/
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
wojo

Post by wojo »

OK... I've captured high resolution JPGs of the Salishan course (files too large to attach here). I've also downloaded a DEM file that covers the area. (The attachment window in this forum won't accept DEM file extension). I've imported the DEM into APCD. I can see it, but it appears APCD doesn't let you look at the terrain at a oblique angle from above, so I can only view it top, left, right, etc..

What I'd like to know is if APCD allows you to accurately position scaled JPGs under the terrain model so you can basically trace the fairways, sand traps, etc..

Thanks.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

wojo wrote: August 6th, 2020, 4:14 pm OK... I've captured high resolution JPGs of the Salishan course (files too large to attach here). I've also downloaded a DEM file that covers the area. (The attachment window in this forum won't accept DEM file extension). I've imported the DEM into APCD. I can see it, but it appears APCD doesn't let you look at the terrain at a oblique angle from above, so I can only view it top, left, right, etc..

What I'd like to know is if APCD allows you to accurately position scaled JPGs under the terrain model so you can basically trace the fairways, sand traps, etc..

Thanks.
Lez covers this in the tutorial I sent you in the email. The APCD overlay images must be .TGA files. JPG's will not work. You can use a maximum photo size of 4096x4096 as an overlay, apply it to the plot, create a PLANAR for it, and scale the planar to match the actual course yardage. On a side note, if the course is unusually long, such as a links type course that stretches out a really long distance, you can actually use more than one 4096x4096 overlay on a plot. Just be aware that the Links game will not render any images over 1024x1024 in size, so if you ever want to take your course to the game to look at it or test it, you MUST replace the large overlay images with smaller textures no larger than 1024x1024. I usually select all of the overlay and replace it with some type of grass and save it as a temporary test CRZ to use in the Links game. Then when you finish testing, just delete the temporary one and go back to working with the original one that you made a copy of in the APCD.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added