Not a CRZ

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Stephen Sullivan

Not a CRZ

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Anybody else had the error message "File not a CRZ, or unable to read CRZ"

Lost a few hours planting, even though I had been saving regularly :wallbash: File size has gone from 37.9MB to 102MB :helpsmilie:

Assume I will just need to replant?
braden1308

Re: Not a CRZ

Post by braden1308 »

Yes, generally that means the file has been corrupted. I don't suppose you made saves under different file names.....course1, course2, course3 and so on?
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

I had. I was just doing a lot of the grass areas at once in the centre of the area that includes Holes 1-4 and 16-18, and added a couple of forested areas of pine trees to see if they looked like a match. I had saved between each area, but forgot to give it a different name. It seemed to validate and save okay, but now will not open. Will save more regularly with different names. Never had that issue ever before :pcwhack:

May have a couple of days off from it and play some rounds :thumbup:
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Yes, I had something similar happen to me on my Coomealla course. I was doing something pretty innocuous like moving a tree or something, then APCD locked up and crashed. I got that not a crz message and file size had increased dramatically. Maybe it doubled up on 2d ojects or something I don't know. But I lost 2 days, not 2 hrs, it was very disheartening. So now, I keep at least 2 copies, 1 in links folder and another on a usb stick, and sometime one more in the SPCD courses folder, just to be sure. And I never save over a saved copy ntil Im certain that I have at least 1 copy somewhere that I know for sure is uncorrupted and will work. It's just too easy to lose everything, months of work, if you don't take those extra few minutes to have extra backups.

I do notice that almost all lockups crashes and freezes seem to be when doing planting. So to minimise that, I tend to turn off 2d views when I dont need them, as a lot of the crashes happen when using the scroll wheel to move your view. Also, I always save after doing something like completing a bunker or green, or verting a fairway, as changing from terrain to planting without saving first is just asking for a crash.

Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: August 5th, 2020, 10:17 pm Anybody else had the error message "File not a CRZ, or unable to read CRZ"

Lost a few hours planting, even though I had been saving regularly :wallbash: File size has gone from 37.9MB to 102MB :helpsmilie:

Assume I will just need to replant?
Hi Stephen... That happened to me a couple of courses back. That's what made me start doing a "save as" every couple of hours. The file doubled in size, and APCD gave me the message that it was "not a CRZ". It actually happened to me twice. The second time, I remembered what I did that caused the crash. All I did was try to add a vert to the outer border edge using the terrain painter spray can. Apparently, over-spraying at the border can cause a crash. Ever since that happened, I started using the splitter tool to add verts to the outer border edges. :whistle:

Good luck, and "save as" often.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: August 6th, 2020, 1:09 am Yes, I had something similar happen to me on my Coomealla course. I was doing something pretty innocuous like moving a tree or something, then APCD locked up and crashed. I got that not a crz message and file size had increased dramatically. Maybe it doubled up on 2d ojects or something I don't know. But I lost 2 days, not 2 hrs, it was very disheartening. So now, I keep at least 2 copies, 1 in links folder and another on a usb stick, and sometime one more in the SPCD courses folder, just to be sure. And I never save over a saved copy ntil Im certain that I have at least 1 copy somewhere that I know for sure is uncorrupted and will work. It's just too easy to lose everything, months of work, if you don't take those extra few minutes to have extra backups.

I do notice that almost all lockups crashes and freezes seem to be when doing planting. So to minimise that, I tend to turn off 2d views when I dont need them, as a lot of the crashes happen when using the scroll wheel to move your view. Also, I always save after doing something like completing a bunker or green, or verting a fairway, as changing from terrain to planting without saving first is just asking for a crash.

Cheers, AJ
Do lots and lots of "SAVE AS" saves AJ. At least every 2 hours of work. You can always delete them once a week as you progress successfully.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

AJ Allen wrote: August 6th, 2020, 1:09 am I do notice that almost all lockups crashes and freezes seem to be when doing planting. So to minimise that, I tend to turn off 2d views when I dont need them, as a lot of the crashes happen when using the scroll wheel to move your view. Also, I always save after doing something like completing a bunker or green, or verting a fairway, as changing from terrain to planting without saving first is just asking for a crash.

Cheers, AJ
Are you using 2D objects from the 2001 library?
I spent some time with another guy (can't remember his name :wallbash: ) looking into crashes, especially when moving around with 2D objects displayed and we traced it to a memory leak caused by using 2001 plants. I can't remember if it was certain ones or all of them that had the problem. The 2001 course I am currently updating will crash within a few seconds of moving with the mouse scroll wheel which is making it difficult to alter the planting and check for problems. I think a similar memory leak happens when planting crowds as these are 2001 objects too, and I probably covered both issues in my videos. I pretty much stuck to using custom 2D when I created my own courses and I never had to turn the 2D off and I never had a single crash caused by moving with the planting turned on. My best advice to people who don't want to manage this issue is not to use 2D objects from 2001. The 3D objects are probably safe (and I use them) because you are never likely to plant enough of them anyway to cause an issue, even if one exists.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

I'd like to add the most important advice when saving. After each 'save as' and re-name, EXIT APCD and then run it again. This only takes a few seconds longer but it clears the memory and it is memory leaks that cause most of the APCD crashes. I would suggest saving every 30 minutes if you can, maybe longer if you have a really slow computer and maybe set an alarm as it is easy to lose track of time when you are in APCD. There is nothing more disheartening than losing hours of work on a course just because you forgot to save regularly.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Just restarting the APCD won't clear the memory. Restarting the APCD works just fine but if your computer doesn't carry a lot of memory you should reboot your machine, that's the only way to truly clear the memory.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

braden1308 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 3:28 pm Just restarting the APCD won't clear the memory. Restarting the APCD works just fine but if your computer doesn't carry a lot of memory you should reboot your machine, that's the only way to truly clear the memory.
What would you call a lot of memory? I have 16 gb. Thanks!

Pete