A Crz Corruption Issue...

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

A Crz Corruption Issue...

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys.

I had an interesting CRZ corruption recently. The only thing I did that was different than usual was to add a thumbnail view for a "LIE" icon. I created a wooden tie wall along the lakefront, and it's possible that a ball could roll onto the edge of one of the ties. However, there are no lie options available for a ball lying on "WOOD". :dunno: So I added one and used a picture of the side of a railroad tie. I noticed when I added it, it did not show up in the thumbnail display box. The white box remained empty. :scared: So I closed the texture editor and saved that texture, and then re-opened it and looked at it, and it was there. :thumbup: So far, so good...

A few hours later when I went to use that texture, I noticed the lie icon was blank again. :fear: So I re-added it, but this time, it wouldn't show up at all. Even when I saved the texture editor and closed and re-opened it, the icon box remained blank. :wallbash: As a matter of fact, ALL of the other textures lie icons were also blank. I'm thinking that somehow, I must have made a move that corrupted the lie icon programming. :unsure:

So I stopped messing with it and went to work adding a new texture to experiment with. When I finished, I tried to save the CRZ and close the APCD, but the APCD refused to respond to the save function. Eventually it shut down by itself with an error code. :pcwhack: When I re-opened it and tried to open the last CRZ save, I got the message that it "wasn't a CRZ". :rant: I went back to the previous save, and got the same message. That save was the one where I had added the lie icon picture the first time. I then went back to the save just before adding the lie icon, and was able to get back in. Not a huge loss. A couple of hours of mostly texture experimentation. :whistle: I have NOT tried to add the lie icon again. I did however replace the APCD with a fresh copy just in case something became corrupted in it.

Just wondering if any of you have seen any warnings about problems trying to add a lie icon thumbnail image. By the way, I DID use the correct size image that the APCD warned me that I needed.

Any input would be appreciated, as always. :tiphat:

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Lez Marwick

Re: A Crz Corruption Issue...

Post by Lez Marwick »

Changing lie icon graphics in APCD has never worked. I believe that when Access Software trimmed down their CAD program to release it as the APCD all sorts of bugs crept in. This is why APCD can at times be such a buggy mess... Access Software never fixed all the bugs.... they probably didn't realise that Links enthusiasts would still be trying to use it to create courses nearly 20 years later! I may not have mentioned this bug in my tutorials - after all, you can't cover everything in just a few videos! I think it was common knowlege though back when I was designing, so it may have been mentioned in Art Patscheck's tutorial book.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Lez Marwick wrote: July 27th, 2020, 11:23 am Changing lie icon graphics in APCD has never worked. I believe that when Access Software trimmed down their CAD program to release it as the APCD all sorts of bugs crept in. This is why APCD can at times be such a buggy mess... Access Software never fixed all the bugs.... they probably didn't realise that Links enthusiasts would still be trying to use it to create courses nearly 20 years later! I may not have mentioned this bug in my tutorials - after all, you can't cover everything in just a few videos! I think it was common knowlege though back when I was designing, so it may have been mentioned in Art Patscheck's tutorial book.
Thanks for the reply Lez. I was afraid of something like that. Tonight I noticed something I had never used or noticed before, until it caught my attention tonight. After seeing it I started thinking I just didn't follow the proper steps. I'm referring to the options that you get when you choose the function in the "ADVANCED OPTIONS" menu under the texture list. The one where you choose to "clone" a texture. The top option is to "Create a New Terrain Type. I started thinking that maybe I should have chosen that route and THEN assigned a lie thumbnail. But if you know for sure that this function is buggy, I'll just pass it by. Thanks again for the tip. Much appreciated. :tiphat:

Dan

terrain type.jpg
terrain type.jpg (90.79 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Here's the paragraph from Art's instructions.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Stephen Sullivan wrote: July 27th, 2020, 1:22 pm Here's the paragraph from Art's instructions.

Untitled-1.jpg
:thumbup: Thanks Stephen!
Completed Courses
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Is Art's tutorial something I or anyone else could find anywhere? I never found it even on the old forums despite looking for tutorials and things like that.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Adelade wrote: July 27th, 2020, 3:35 pm Is Art's tutorial something I or anyone else could find anywhere? I never found it even on the old forums despite looking for tutorials and things like that.
It was something that Arts Patscheck did, that you had to pay for. It includes the book, a crz, some DEM, and some textures to use which are a mix of 256 and 512's.

Not sure where we stand with sharing it?
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

If Art's book is no longer available anywhere and is unlikely to be in the future then personally I would have no problem sharing a link to download it, but I would obviously not post it publicly on this forum. Of course, if someone pm'ed me and was discrete then that would be a different matter.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Hey guys, before sharing freely his work, why don't you ask him first ?
You just have to contact him via Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/art.patscheck
that would be the minimum you can do... :smile:
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

LeWAW wrote: July 27th, 2020, 6:50 pm Hey guys, before sharing freely his work, why don't you ask him first ?
You just have to contact him via Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/art.patscheck
that would be the minimum you can do... :smile:
Sounds like a good idea. I'm not on Facebook though, so someone else will have to contact him. :thumbup: