New trees for planting set?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Re: New trees for planting set?

Post by Adelade »

I agree with checking it within APCD (within Links is even better), but one thing one can do to mitigate or even eliminate that step that I use to do whenever I make an object: Create a quick background layer with some plant/grass-like green colour fill, another with skyblue, another with black and another with white. By checking the object against those backgrounds in turn one can spot any undesirable pixels easily. Usually its enough that it looks good against the green and skyblue ones.

I had actually been waiting for ages for a good day to go out and take photos of trees to turn into objects and finally today a bright cloudy day without rain, should result in 30 or so trees (pine maple birch poplar) once I get around to it. Sadly didnt manage to find any lone-standing firs... will have to do more hunting on another day, and maybe even make an attempt at grass textures from photos(?)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

If there are any halo's in photoshop how can I minimise them please
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

linksrevisited wrote: July 6th, 2020, 4:35 pm If there are any halo's in photoshop how can I minimise them please
My way :
In PS, 1 ) keep your selection ( tree ), minimized the selection by 1 pixel
2 ) Invert your selection
3) paint all around your new selection in black ( all the halo will be black )
4 ) keep your 1st selection and create your alpha channel
P.S. : you can use another color than black, sometimes (and it's recommanded) you need to keep the leaves color
Sorry for my poor English language :laugh:
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

Hi

Am I right in thinking that once you have cut the tree out and saved it as an alpha channel TGA in Photoshop and then reopen the image within Photoshop it will be seen as having a white background in Photoshop.

Confused.com
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I believe so at least. I dont think TGA files can be left with a "transparent" RGB channel so it creates an automatic background if there is none. It shouldnt make a difference, although I have encountered some alpha channel oddities with tga files so it may be best to make a black background yourself before saving as a TGA the first time around (just create layer with fill black and put behind your object layer)

As for removing "halos" around objects there indeed are many methods and in my experience its situational which one method is best. Usually using the magic wand tool (with adjusted selection settings as appropriate) to select the unwanted pixels and deleting them (or using the eraser tool with varying levels of opacity) is my favourite method, however it does not always work completely, depending on quality and colour difference.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

Hi

I have managed to follow a tutorial which 100% removes any halo's as below

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+wa ... Pi86_iAM31

sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi AJ,

I could use a myriad of birch trees for a course idea I'm working on.......

Are you planning on making the trees you complete available at some time...????

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

sagevanni wrote: July 16th, 2020, 2:42 pm Hi AJ,

Yes I am. I will put them all into a crz so anyone that wants them will be able to open it in APCD :cheers1:
Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: July 16th, 2020, 11:10 pm

Yes I am. I will put them all into a crz so anyone that wants them will be able to open it in APCD :cheers1:
Cheers, AJ
Just curious AJ. If you put the trees in a CRZ, and then we open it in the APCD, how do we transfer them into our planting sets? :unsure:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Danny D wrote: July 17th, 2020, 3:50 am
AJ Allen wrote: July 16th, 2020, 11:10 pm

Cheers, AJ
Just curious AJ. If you put the trees in a CRZ, and then we open it in the APCD, how do we transfer them into our planting sets? :unsure:

Dan
If you have a course you are working on open in APCD, then you can go to the planting tab, object library, and choose to import from course. Do you think there is a better way, perhaps just zip the trees up in a bundle perhaps?

Cheers, AJ