New trees for planting set?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
linksrevisited

Re: New trees for planting set?

Post by linksrevisited »

what format ie jpg, png etc do the trees need to be for apcd and what size should the image be
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

linksrevisited wrote: July 6th, 2020, 7:30 am what format ie jpg, png etc do the trees need to be for apcd and what size should the image be
1024X1024 is the max. size in TGA format with alpha channel
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

linksrevisited wrote: July 6th, 2020, 7:30 am what format ie jpg, png etc do the trees need to be for apcd and what size should the image be
What LeWAW said, however if anyone wishes to help out - many of us designers would be comfortable working with a PNG with alpha channel if anyone thinks those are easier to work with since its a simple matter converting them from PNG to TGA :thumbup: Even a PNG without alpha channel or just a JPG/JPEG (PNG are slightly higher quality than JPG/JPEG so PNG would be preferable) could be helpful too if its a good picture :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Re: Poplar Trees

Post by Adelade »

AJ Allen wrote: July 5th, 2020, 11:14 pm I'm wondering whether poplar trees are commonplace on golf courses other than in NZ where they are pretty common. You can see some of the ones I have created in the screenshot. The tall thin trees. I know them as "Lombardy Poplars" but maybe they have other names? Anyway, are these something people might want to use on their own course designs? I thought I would do some as they seem to be in short supply as trees to use so maybe people just don't want or use them? Let me know if you would use them yourself. The other type Im trying to build up is the cypress ones. Also, looking for good willows and birches.
Poplars are very common in Sweden (4th most common tree) which makes me suspect they should be pretty common in Canada, northern USA and northern half of Europe as well at the very least. I think there are many different kinds of poplars as you say but as long as they look sort of alike who cares if its the exact correct type? So yes I for one would definitely be interested in poplars :smile: I had also noticed there arent many of those around. Although of course I would say Im always happy for and interested in any type of trees anyone wants to share - I very much applaud any such efforts :smile: I have made around 50 trees myself so far which can be found in the "Adelade" object category in the two courses I have planted so far, which anyone is very welcome to extract and use or edit. You will find some birches/poplars in particular within the Amedal course. I dont know if they're the type that would suit New Zeeland but I recommend at least taking a look. I could put them together and send if you prefer that over extracting them yourself - let me know.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

I am familiar with photoshop, but not with the terminology alpha channel can someone explain please
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

linksrevisited wrote: July 6th, 2020, 9:15 am I am familiar with photoshop, but not with the terminology alpha channel can someone explain please
OK, well there are 4 channels in a TGA image. One each for red green and blue, and 1 for the alpha channel. The image is saved as 32bit, that's 8 bits per channel, and each channel contains the info of the "lumiosity" of the color... how much of it there is and how bright.

The alpha channel contains the info on what part of the image should be opaque annd which parts should be transparent. It is what is called a "mask", it masks out the various parts of the image so they dont get seen. That is usually the background behind the tree. It is just black and white, with the black parts of the mask hiding that section of the image below it.

Think of it as a layer, or thin sheet laid down over the top of a photo. The area of the photo that contains the actual tree is cut out of the mask layer, meaning you can see it. That is the white part. The rest of the layer is hiding the remainder of the image. That's the black part.

Not sure how well I explained that. A couple of screenshots might help.

Cheers, AJ
Attachments
rgb.jpg
rgb.jpg (159.03 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
alpha.jpg
alpha.jpg (113.65 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

ok understand that thanks how do you then save it as alpha channel TGA
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

I have it sorted now thanks
linksrevisited

Post by linksrevisited »

Starting to build a tree collection now

AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

linksrevisited wrote: July 6th, 2020, 2:26 pm Starting to build a tree collection now
That's a nice looking tree. But it does look like it has a bit of shadowing aroud the edges. The test will be when you add it to APCD ad plant it. It might have a halo around it. There are a few ways to get rid of that, or at least minimise it. Let me know how it looks in APCD amd whether it will need some extra work on it.
Cheers, AJ