Another 3D question

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
AJ Allen

Another 3D question

Post by AJ Allen »

Sorry to ask a question yet again.

So, working on my clubhouse (which is in place, textures and mappings applied) and I decided I would like to create an air conditioner on the roof. But, if I try to add verts on the roof using overhead view, those verts get placed on the ground, directly below where I want them.

Thinking maybe I need to create the A/C unit on the ground, then lift it up into place when I'm finished? Can't think of any other way to do it. Would that be correct, anyone know?

Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Re: Another 3D question

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: June 30th, 2020, 1:15 pm Sorry to ask a question yet again.

So, working on my clubhouse (which is in place, textures and mappings applied) and I decided I would like to create an air conditioner on the roof. But, if I try to add verts on the roof using overhead view, those verts get placed on the ground, directly below where I want them.

Thinking maybe I need to create the A/C unit on the ground, then lift it up into place when I'm finished? Can't think of any other way to do it. Would that be correct, anyone know?

Cheers, AJ
You can add it directly to the existing face of the roof, but you can't do it by using the "Create a Face" tool. You have to tap in to an existing edge and form it that way. Any time you elect to "Create a Face", it starts out at the 100 foot grid level like a new face would and it won't be attached to anything. If you want it attached to the roof, you need to split an edge on the roof face and start adding to that.

Hope that answers your question,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

yes, that helps thank you. :tiphat: So it's basically the same as putting in a door or window, excet it's on the roof. I was trying to add verts when I should have been splitting edges.
TY. Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: June 30th, 2020, 2:39 pm yes, that helps thank you. :tiphat: So it's basically the same as putting in a door or window, excet it's on the roof. I was trying to add verts when I should have been splitting edges.
TY. Cheers, AJ
Yes. :thumbup:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added