new 2D trees

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
dorse72

new 2D trees

Post by dorse72 »

Howdy, I'm making a batch of trees for a course. My question is do they HAVE to be 1024x1024? it really limits the detail and realism in them, I'm guessing the answer is yes but thought I'd check anyways. love to go 2048x2048 if possible.
thanks
LeWAW

Re: new 2D trees

Post by LeWAW »

Sorry, but you can't, error message when you try to import a TGA wider than 1024x1024
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

You could split them up into several objects and stack on top of eachother, probably only works vertically (impossible to line them up horizontally so that it looks right from all angles).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dorse72 wrote: June 24th, 2020, 10:16 pm Howdy, I'm making a batch of trees for a course. My question is do they HAVE to be 1024x1024? it really limits the detail and realism in them, I'm guessing the answer is yes but thought I'd check anyways. love to go 2048x2048 if possible.
thanks
Hi Dorse...

Just a note to remind you that 2D file dimensions can be odd sized, but cannot exceed 1024 in width or height. For example, a 2D house might be a maximum 1024 wide, but something like 635 tall. Unlike textures, 2D objects don't require the "power of 2" rule when sizing.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: June 25th, 2020, 4:52 am You could split them up into several objects and stack on top of eachother, probably only works vertically (impossible to line them up horizontally so that it looks right from all angles).
??? Maybe I misunderstood. How to you keep a "stacked" image up in the air? Doesn't performing a S&V cause it to plug itself into the terrain? :unsure:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

No you can have 2D objects high up in the sky like a bird for example. If you move an object on the Z plane so that the bottom of the 2d object is, say, 9.0 yards above the ground directly underneath its planting spot (the green dot), then change the elevation underneath it, it will only ever snap back to 9.0 yards above the ground again. It's like the course permanently saves manual manipulations on the Z plane in relation to the surface.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Danny D wrote: June 25th, 2020, 6:51 am
Adelade wrote: June 25th, 2020, 4:52 am You could split them up into several objects and stack on top of eachother, probably only works vertically (impossible to line them up horizontally so that it looks right from all angles).
??? Maybe I misunderstood. How to you keep a "stacked" image up in the air? Doesn't performing a S&V cause it to plug itself into the terrain? :unsure:
You just have to move the red dot present in the preview image before planting, I think a lot of designers don't know it, because a lot of courses have floating trees...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

My "dot" is not red....................

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

sagevanni wrote: June 25th, 2020, 10:38 am My "dot" is not red....................

Lol... Green :thumbup:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

LMAO...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right on.......

If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.