new 2D trees

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
dorse72

Re: new 2D trees

Post by dorse72 »

OK thanks, this program is so outdated, I don't know why I still use it. so I've created 3 custom trees, with good results I think, sized them at 1024x1024 with an alpha channel selection, and 32 bit .tga.

I must have problems with my APCD which Dan mentioned possibly. I create a new temp planting set, import my .tga into Apcd via a usb stick, the file size says 0? I hit OK and it says 'importing to course' - then an error message occurs and says 'CANT WRITE TO COURSE', then 'ERROR OCCURRED' love it with the dreaded red x message dialogue box.

as soon as I try to plant one, the APCD crashes
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Send us your tga file, if we are able to import it, well... You will know where is the problem...
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

success! I used my daugter's laptop and installed a fresh APCD, so I'm good. trees look pretty damn good I think, PITA to make though, so false alarm boyz :tongue:

back to creating some custom trees that aren't in the game for a surprise course soon. Cryptic Writings - (megadeth ;)
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: June 25th, 2020, 8:42 am No you can have 2D objects high up in the sky like a bird for example. If you move an object on the Z plane so that the bottom of the 2d object is, say, 9.0 yards above the ground directly underneath its planting spot (the green dot), then change the elevation underneath it, it will only ever snap back to 9.0 yards above the ground again. It's like the course permanently saves manual manipulations on the Z plane in relation to the surface.
Well I'll be..... :unsure: I never had the need to elevate anything, so never even gave it a thought. I learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip... Now if I can just remember that should the time come to put it to use............ :laugh:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

LeWAW wrote: June 25th, 2020, 8:45 am
Danny D wrote: June 25th, 2020, 6:51 am
Adelade wrote: June 25th, 2020, 4:52 am You could split them up into several objects and stack on top of eachother, probably only works vertically (impossible to line them up horizontally so that it looks right from all angles).
??? Maybe I misunderstood. How to you keep a "stacked" image up in the air? Doesn't performing a S&V cause it to plug itself into the terrain? :unsure:
You just have to move the red dot present in the preview image before planting, I think a lot of designers don't know it, because a lot of courses have floating trees...
In my previous experience with Wakonda, I ended up with a lot of floating trees. But after close examination I figured out why. Wakonda has a lot of steep slopes. What was happening was that if a large tree was on the side of a slope, the lower branches would touch the ground on the uphill side before the tree trunk would. When doing the S&V, the branches were being pulled down to ground level, leaving the tree trunk still suspended above ground on the downhill side. :mad: I had to pull the trunks down to the ground manually. (which of course, buried the limbs deeper on the upper side of the slope) :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added