Designers - Screenshots please

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
migolfer

Re: Designers - Screenshots please

Post by migolfer »

I don't know why I'm doing this, but I volunteered some more screenshots for some of the more recent uploads that do not have any. All 3 of these are real courses so they may be more likely to be downloaded than the fictional ones (?that's a guess?, I wish there were download numbers for all the courses, or some indication of how far back in the upload date anyone even downloads courses). If displaying the per-course download numbers is undesirable/not possible, it would at least be interesting to know how many overall, daily/weekly/monthly course downloads there even are anymore. It may be the case that there are a very small number of Links players left and all of them already have all the courses they want and only look for new ones coming in. :dunno: Personally, I'm still finding courses I haven't downloaded that I see others recommend. For instance, I never got TPC at Deere Run until today. How'd I miss that gem?

These now have screenshots (well, as soon as Andy takes care of them) where there weren't any before:
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Firstly, thanks for the uploads. :clapping:

If you intend to do any more it would make my job a lot easier if you could name the screenshot files using the course database number instead of the course name eg 2642_1.jpg instead of Castle Pines 2001_1.jpg.

The database number can be seen here :-
crz_no.jpg
crz_no.jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 335 times
On the subject of download numbers, back in the mists of time, when Links Corner was hosted at FilePlanet, download stats were automatically generated. Unfortunately, some users couldn't resist the temptation to inflate the figures by starting a download, stopping it then starting again etc etc. Since then, the various admins decided not to generate or report download numbers.

In a similar vein, we stopped the the user rating system due to various forms of abuse it incurred. :sad:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

A couple years back I decided to someday get around to upload screenshots of my favourite courses that dont have any (oh I see it on the first page of this thread actually lol), and I still havent gotten around to it... :wallbash:

I think it is such a shame that so many good courses lack screenshots. I remember when I got back from my 10 year Links break and started looking for courses, with there being so incredibly many to sort through, it really helps when there are screenshots. I still have a ton of courses on my to-check-out list, and I bet a lot of them are probably ones that I already would have downloaded if they did have screenshots.

Out of curiosity I just now checked how many among my personal top 20 favourite courses that lacked screenshots (or video), and guess what - THIRTEEN of them didnt have any!! 13!!! I dont really want to think about how many people might have skipped downloading them because of that, it has to be at least some. That is just sad.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Andy wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:52 pm If you intend to do any more it would make my job a lot easier if you could name the screenshot files using the course database number instead of the course name eg 2642_1.jpg instead of Castle Pines 2001_1.jpg.
Consider it done! Thx for letting me know.
Andy wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:52 pm On the subject of download numbers, back in the mists of time, when Links Corner was hosted at FilePlanet, download stats were automatically generated. Unfortunately, some users couldn't resist the temptation to inflate the figures by starting a download, stopping it then starting again etc etc. Since then, the various admins decided not to generate or report download numbers.
Sad indeed.

I can take another view of this then: looking at the Users list, for the first time, I can see that there are 601 users:
https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/memberlis ... memberlist

The number in the Joined column dated this year (2022) is 49!
That's a decently sized list, more than I might have guessed.

Encouraging, it keeps me interested in updating screenshots while I take a break from trying to get through the Forest Dunes clubhouse, which is a LOT more work than I thought it might be. (I'm trying to make Sage's version Real, his original version has a lot of, lets just say, artistic license.)
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Adelade wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 8:13 pm Out of curiosity I just now checked how many among my personal top 20 favourite courses that lacked screenshots (or video), and guess what - THIRTEEN of them didnt have any!! 13!!! I dont really want to think about how many people might have skipped downloading them because of that, it has to be at least some. That is just sad.
PM me that list of 13 and I'll make some screenshots for them.
We don't need you any more distracted from the Austin CC work than you need to be. :smile:
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

migolfer wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 12:25 pm PM me that list of 13 and I'll make some screenshots for them.
Actually, I can find them here, I guess: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 835#p12835 or in this comment: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 8523#p8523
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Those were just courses from those particular years, not my all-time favourites. Thank you for the offer, I'll send something (and lol about Austin)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Stuart Hatch

Post by Stuart Hatch »

Two screenshots submitted for Sage Vanni's Still Lakes to go with the two already shown.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

There seems to be an issue with weTransfer at the moment.

With the relatively small zipfiles for screenshots it is perfectly feasible to attach them to an email which is obviously a lot simpler.

Anyone wish to try this method should send screenshots to screenshots@linkscorner.org .

migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Andy wrote: July 4th, 2022, 4:59 pm There seems to be an issue with weTransfer at the moment.
With the relatively small zipfiles for screenshots it is perfectly feasible to attach them to an email which is obviously a lot simpler.
Anyone wish to try this method should send screenshots to screenshots@linkscorner.org
Email failed to that address:
(attachment was a ZIP file containing JPG and README files)

Code: Select all

Sent: Monday, July 4, 2022 6:59 PM
To: screenshots@linkscorner.org <screenshots@linkscorner.org>
Subject: Undeliverable: Screenshots: Thunder Golf Club

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
      screenshots@linkscorner.org (screenshots@linkscorner.org)

Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: CO6PR14MB4531.namprd14.prod.outlook.com
screenshots@linkscorner.org
Remote Server returned '550 5.7.520 Message blocked because it contains content identified as spam. AS(4810)'
Original message headers:
...snipped...