Red Sky

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Re: Red Sky

Post by pmgolf »

It may be ocean related, because mine happens over ocean. I'll watch for exceptions, though.

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: June 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm It may be ocean related, because mine happens over ocean. I'll watch for exceptions, though.

Pete
For what it's worth, there were no oceans or ocean textures used in the course I was working on when it was happening to me. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
SLucey

Post by SLucey »

Let me know if this is also your scenario:

See attached pic. One of the first things I did with my course was adjust the outer border verts elevation. In this case I lowered them since it was ocean. However, as you can see from pic, that created a "gap" when viewed in game between the sky and the ocean. I'm thinking this might be causing the issue. Maybe?

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/download/ ... 8091944c8b
Attachments
Red Sky Issue.jpg
Red Sky Issue.jpg (156.02 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

I've had this happen with the course I have worked on, and I know that Lez Marwick also observed the issue - he called it a "pink mess." In my experience it occurs exclusively when in practice mode (never in normal play mode) and especially after moving the ball around to various spots to check on how a feature looks after adjusting it in APCD - i.e. moving the ball and rotating view angle multiple times.

It is not related to a pano because it would occur on my course before I even had added a pano.

I don't recall Lez ever finding a root cause, and I don't recall anyone ever complaining about this on a finished course in normal play. The only known occurrences have been with designers working on their course. Therefore I suspect it is not a flaw in the course, or a result of a corrupt pano or sky file.

John
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

jwgriffingca wrote: June 12th, 2020, 11:37 pm I've had this happen with the course I have worked on, and I know that Lez Marwick also observed the issue - he called it a "pink mess." In my experience it occurs exclusively when in practice mode (never in normal play mode) and especially after moving the ball around to various spots to check on how a feature looks after adjusting it in APCD - i.e. moving the ball and rotating view angle multiple times.

It is not related to a pano because it would occur on my course before I even had added a pano.

I don't recall Lez ever finding a root cause, and I don't recall anyone ever complaining about this on a finished course in normal play. The only known occurrences have been with designers working on their course. Therefore I suspect it is not a flaw in the course, or a result of a corrupt pano or sky file.

John
That's wonderful news! I can breathe a sigh of relief! Thank you.

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

jwgriffingca wrote: June 12th, 2020, 11:37 pmI don't recall Lez ever finding a root cause, and I don't recall anyone ever complaining about this on a finished course in normal play.

John
Here's someone! :thumbup: :laugh:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Still Linksing wrote: June 28th, 2020, 12:38 am
jwgriffingca wrote: June 12th, 2020, 11:37 pmI don't recall Lez ever finding a root cause, and I don't recall anyone ever complaining about this on a finished course in normal play.

John
If you had an occurrence of the red sky, it is random and infrequent. A quick fix is to change the sky. No one has figured out how to fix it.

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yeah I've definitely had it happen outside of practice mode as well, but its rare enough for me that I dont really mind, and as you say we may never find a solution anyway
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: June 28th, 2020, 6:22 pm

John
If you had an occurrence of the red sky, it is random and infrequent. A quick fix is to change the sky. No one has figured out how to fix it.

Pete
Can’t remember the course but it was always in the same place, same size, always there when looking in it’s direction. This would make me suspect there is something wrong with a texture. It was a locked course so no hope in examining what may cause the issue.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

John
First time for everything! I guess never say never when it comes to APCD & Links... :laugh: :dunno: