Set Wind Direction?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
AJ Allen

Set Wind Direction?

Post by AJ Allen »

Does anyone know how to set a prevailing wind direction? It would be more authentic to have that on the course I'm doing, a couple of the holes rely on that to add some difficulty to them.

I have looked in course properties in APCD, and see a direction box that is set to 90deg. Im not sure what that means, is it 90deg to whatever direction the golfer tees off from maybe? If so, that's not much help as that changes hole to hole. I was hoping to have a way to specify the main direction is from the N.E or whatever.

Cheers, AJ
alarduran

Re: Set Wind Direction?

Post by alarduran »

Hi, AJ.

From an old APCD guide by Art Patscheck:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (108.66 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
Regards.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

That is certainly helpful, TYVM. I think I can work it out now from that guide. :thumbup:

There is a par 5 on the course and it nearly always has a slight head wind. So I want my course to have something similar. I guess it would be even more important to set direction for links courses, as they are so reliant on the sea breeze to add the difficuly. I'm considering perhaps trying a links course for my next attempt, there are a few nice ones around the south Victorian coast. This is the one that really appeals to me, although I have never played or been there. https://greatgolfaustralia.com.au/cours ... golf-club/ I have looked in the course database section and seems nobody has done it yet. The big challenge might be building a good planting set, especially getting hold of scrubby teatrees. Maybe I can find somebody that would mask pics for me, for the right price eh.

Cheers, AJ
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Ian Wells would be able to give you this answer. In old forum remember him getting advice from another designer Duckhook, who told Ian that original APCD designer was set up entirely opposite than way end result turned out. Regarding Wade Hampton that Ian designed it is in western mountain area of NC and has warm winds from sw in summertime and cooler winds from nw in wintertime. It is extremely odd to have winds coming from the eastern direction in NC. Then again a course can be set up and tested to see if wind direction is what desired. Playing along during Masters tournaments, it became apparent to me that real players were playing entirely the opposite direction than I was even though I had selected strong winds. Prevailing wind direction is one of the aspects that real course designers take into account when laying out their holes initially.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

What Art Patscheck said about the wind being able to come from any compass direction on 100% wind direction variance is something I've found to be wrong. If you set it to 100%, it still wont ever be in the exact opposite direction. The most it seems to deviate is 90 degree to either side when set to 100%, so even if you set it to that it will still most often be sort of the same direction.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
TexAgs

Post by TexAgs »

I played around with the wind direction setting and found that it had little impact on the wind direction. No matter how it was set it seemed to usually blow from the south/southeast (towards the n/nw) occasionally flipping around to a different direction.
:dunno: