Golf Club Selection

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
GoBucks

Golf Club Selection

Post by GoBucks »

When it comes to textures such as rough, fringe, etc., what determines the club that the caddie selects? I just finished a round at Jacob's Creek, and when I landed in the fairway fringe ( labeled "Fringe') the caddie selected a 5-iron. I thought that was a bit much for a 139yd shot. I took a little off of an 8-iron and that seemed to be the proper guess. I'm assuming that there are different properties for the different textures that the designer chooses?

i had another question for this audience, but it took me so long to ask the first one that I forgot what it was. :laugh:
No matter where you go, there you are.
AJ Allen

Re: Golf Club Selection

Post by AJ Allen »

OK, so I think this might be the reason....

When creating a course, and you want to create a new custom texture, usually the quickest way is to clone one of the other ones you already have, then change the textures to what you want. So creating a custom fringe by that method, the best way would be to clone the default fringe, then your new fringe will inherit the properties of the default one.

But if you cloned (for example) a deep grass, then changed the texture to your own fringe, the actual properties would be deep grass... meaning the caddy thinks you are playing from deep grass and gives you a 5 iron, instead of the 8. It will look like a fringe, but play as deep grass.

I found this out by making the same mistake myself. :thumbup:

Cheers, AJ
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

AJ Allen wrote: May 27th, 2020, 2:49 pm OK, so I think this might be the reason....

When creating a course, and you want to create a new custom texture, usually the quickest way is to clone one of the other ones you already have, then change the textures to what you want. So creating a custom fringe by that method, the best way would be to clone the default fringe, then your new fringe will inherit the properties of the default one.

But if you cloned (for example) a deep grass, then changed the texture to your own fringe, the actual properties would be deep grass... meaning the caddy thinks you are playing from deep grass and gives you a 5 iron, instead of the 8. It will look like a fringe, but play as deep grass.

I found this out by making the same mistake myself. :thumbup:

Cheers, AJ
It played like fringe and not deep grass. That's why I was wondering, but thanks for the reply.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

GoBucks wrote: May 27th, 2020, 2:06 pm When it comes to textures such as rough, fringe, etc., what determines the club that the caddie selects? I just finished a round at Jacob's Creek, and when I landed in the fairway fringe ( labeled "Fringe') the caddie selected a 5-iron. I thought that was a bit much for a 139yd shot. I took a little off of an 8-iron and that seemed to be the proper guess. I'm assuming that there are different properties for the different textures that the designer chooses?

i had another question for this audience, but it took me so long to ask the first one that I forgot what it was. :laugh:
My advice is NEVER trust your caddie. :whistle:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Danny D wrote: May 28th, 2020, 2:18 am
GoBucks wrote: May 27th, 2020, 2:06 pm When it comes to textures such as rough, fringe, etc., what determines the club that the caddie selects? I just finished a round at Jacob's Creek, and when I landed in the fairway fringe ( labeled "Fringe') the caddie selected a 5-iron. I thought that was a bit much for a 139yd shot. I took a little off of an 8-iron and that seemed to be the proper guess. I'm assuming that there are different properties for the different textures that the designer chooses?

I've been playing long enough to have learned that long time ago. That's why I hit an 8-iron.

I was just wondering what part of the design process clues the caddie. Perhaps I'll never know.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im not too sure either what the caddie goes on in full detail, but its usually pretty good at fairway shots... so I agree it sounds odd. I know it seems to factor in wind so if you play on gusty for example and the wind meter happens to be a max headwind when the shot first renders that can skew things. If its the tournament on LSPN that I suspect, it doesnt look like any rounds were on gusty though so doesnt seem to be the explanation here. Not sure if caddies take into account custom properties but perhaps the fringe plays like rough without you noticing because of a significant uphill lie or something? I know caddie tends to be much worse at estimating rough and deep rough shots at least, and I often change clubs on downhill/uphill lies even though I do believe caddie takes that into account to some degree.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

GoBucks wrote: May 28th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Danny D wrote: May 28th, 2020, 2:18 am

I've been playing long enough to have learned that long time ago. That's why I hit an 8-iron.

I was just wondering what part of the design process clues the caddie. Perhaps I'll never know.
I understand. Just the other night I watched a champ ANI hit a 5 wood 180 yards over the green from a green-side bunker. :dunno: :unsure:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Adelade wrote: May 28th, 2020, 1:46 pm Im not too sure either what the caddie goes on in full detail, but its usually pretty good at fairway shots... so I agree it sounds odd. I know it seems to factor in wind so if you play on gusty for example and the wind meter happens to be a max headwind when the shot first renders that can skew things. If its the tournament on LSPN that I suspect, it doesnt look like any rounds were on gusty though so doesnt seem to be the explanation here. Not sure if caddies take into account custom properties but perhaps the fringe plays like rough without you noticing because of a significant uphill lie or something? I know caddie tends to be much worse at estimating rough and deep rough shots at least, and I often change clubs on downhill/uphill lies even though I do believe caddie takes that into account to some degree.
It was the "Made in Denmark" on the Euro tour.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Danny D wrote: May 28th, 2020, 1:49 pm
GoBucks wrote: May 28th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Danny D wrote: May 28th, 2020, 2:18 am My advice is NEVER trust your caddie. :whistle:

I understand. Just the other night I watched a champ ANI hit a 5 wood 180 yards over the green from a green-side bunker. :dunno: :unsure:
:oops: