2000 textures for 3D objects

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
SLucey

Re: 2000 textures for 3D objects

Post by SLucey »

Danny D wrote: May 27th, 2020, 2:26 am
SLucey wrote: May 27th, 2020, 12:47 am
Danny D wrote: May 26th, 2020, 2:24 pm ...it has the ability to export the 3 files needed to create objects for the APCD.
Dan, what are those 3 files that are needed?
Hi SLucey...

I'll refer you to the post where I got my information. It's in this thread down near the bottom where you see a picture of a bench. Download the zip file he attached and the file types are in there.

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3048#p3048

Dan
Danny, thanks for the link to that other message thread. I read that messge thread beginning with the first message posted. I came across a posting from alarduran where he attached "instructions to create 3D objects for APCD" in a .pdf document. The "instructions" were on how to create 3D objects in 3DS Max and export objects to DirectX .x file format.

Now, based on having used Blender software previously, I can shed some light on a few points of interest. First, from what I gleaned from the "instructions" it appears what was done in 3DS Max can be done in Blender as well, albeit, a bit complex, as even in 3DS Max it appears there are a number of steps and hoops to jump thru. In the end, the object was exported from 3DS Max to a DirectX .x file format. Blender will also export to a DirectX .x file format natively...provided you're using the older version of Blender (v2.79). Beginning with v2.8 Blender dropped native support exporting to DirectX .x file format.

Up to this point, things seem promising. But, once you have the .x file of the object, you still have to convert the .x file to the .xyz/.map files that the APCD recognizes (the .xyz is object, .map is texture mapping, and the .prv file - which is manually created - is nothing more than a .tga file renamed with the .prv extension).

Now, herein lies the problem: in those "instructions" it says - and I quote - "Ok we have a DirectX file called tutorial.X and we have a tga file called Threadplate.tga. We need to make sure these are in the same directory. Now fire up the links and apcd tools application and select the #D object convertor. This has a simple one button interface so click it and browse to the tutorial.X file we created and click ok."

This part is vague and its not at all clear what "links and apcd tools application" it is referring too? Is there some other piece of software being used here? If so, why was it not mentioned by name? Did the APCD - at some point in time - come with some other "tools" application? One things for sure, without that "apcd tools application" there doesn't appear to be anyway of converting the .x file to .xyz/.map files. So, at this point I'm stumped.

Anyone with any further info or can shed more light on this I would appreciate hearing from you.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

SLucey wrote: May 28th, 2020, 2:12 am
Danny D wrote: May 27th, 2020, 2:26 am
SLucey wrote: May 27th, 2020, 12:47 am

Dan, what are those 3 files that are needed?
Hi SLucey...

I'll refer you to the post where I got my information. It's in this thread down near the bottom where you see a picture of a bench. Download the zip file he attached and the file types are in there.

https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3048#p3048

Dan
Danny, thanks for the link to that other message thread. I read that messge thread beginning with the first message posted. I came across a posting from alarduran where he attached "instructions to create 3D objects for APCD" in a .pdf document. The "instructions" were on how to create 3D objects in 3DS Max and export objects to DirectX .x file format.

Now, based on having used Blender software previously, I can shed some light on a few points of interest. First, from what I gleaned from the "instructions" it appears what was done in 3DS Max can be done in Blender as well, albeit, a bit complex, as even in 3DS Max it appears there are a number of steps and hoops to jump thru. In the end, the object was exported from 3DS Max to a DirectX .x file format. Blender will also export to a DirectX .x file format natively...provided you're using the older version of Blender (v2.79). Beginning with v2.8 Blender dropped native support exporting to DirectX .x file format.

Up to this point, things seem promising. But, once you have the .x file of the object, you still have to convert the .x file to the .xyz/.map files that the APCD recognizes (the .xyz is object, .map is texture mapping, and the .prv file - which is manually created - is nothing more than a .tga file renamed with the .prv extension).

Now, herein lies the problem: in those "instructions" it says - and I quote - "Ok we have a DirectX file called tutorial.X and we have a tga file called Threadplate.tga. We need to make sure these are in the same directory. Now fire up the links and apcd tools application and select the #D object convertor. This has a simple one button interface so click it and browse to the tutorial.X file we created and click ok."

This part is vague and its not at all clear what "links and apcd tools application" it is referring too? Is there some other piece of software being used here? If so, why was it not mentioned by name? Did the APCD - at some point in time - come with some other "tools" application? One things for sure, without that "apcd tools application" there doesn't appear to be anyway of converting the .x file to .xyz/.map files. So, at this point I'm stumped.

Anyone with any further info or can shed more light on this I would appreciate hearing from you.
Great info you provided for us SLucey. :clapping: Thanks VERY much for your time and research on this subject. At least we are one step closer to learning where we stand. I hope someone else can shed some light on it for us.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

SLucey wrote: May 28th, 2020, 2:12 am
Hi SLucey...

Is there any chance the "tools" that he referred to could have been the Links Extender? That's the only other APCD Utility that I know of.
Take a look at tools tab I have my mouse on in my screen shot. Does this look like what he may have been been referring to?

ext.jpg
ext.jpg (316.93 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi, Danny.

Yes, you are right. You have to use the Links Extender "convert X file" option to get the .xyz and .map files. Indeed, they (Andrew and Rehit) did not make this clear in their pdf instructions.
And as far as I remember, the third file (.prv file) is simply a tga preview image of the 3D object with the extension changed to .prv (purposely to be shown into the APCD object library).

Regards.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

alarduran wrote: May 28th, 2020, 7:40 am Hi, Danny.

Yes, you are right. You have to use the Links Extender "convert X file" option to get the .xyz and .map files. Indeed, they (Andrew and Rehit) did not make this clear in their pdf instructions.
And as far as I remember, the third file (.prv file) is simply a tga preview image of the 3D object with the extension changed to .prv (purposely to be shown into the APCD object library).

Regards.
Thanks so much for confirming that alarduran. That gets us another step closer. :notworthy:

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

SLucey wrote: May 28th, 2020, 2:12 amBlender will also export to a DirectX .x file format natively...provided you're using the older version of Blender (v2.79). Beginning with v2.8 Blender dropped native support exporting to DirectX .x file format.
Do you know if Blender versions from 2.8 onward instead export directly to .xyz and .map, or is it simply required to find and use the 2.79 version?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi all.
Trying to un-rust me in old methods that I did not use since Windows XP era, I produced the 3D car model attached. These were my steps:
- I downloaded the free 3D model from internet as a .fbx file.
- I imported it to 3dsmax.
- I followed the pdf instructions from the old apcd-courses site. It wasn't easy (too many years from the last time I did this!), but I managed to get the .x file.
- I use Links Extender to generate the .xyz and .map files. Note: I had to put the .x and two .tga texture files INTO the Links Extender folder to get the things worked. If the .x and .tga files were in every other folder, Links Extender kept saying "unable to read texture". A Windows 8.1 effect with an old tool? I don't know.
- Following again the pdf instructions, I imported the 3D car into the APCD object library.
Conclusion: method still working. I also attach the 3 files needed to import, so you could use them.
CarImport.jpg
CarImport.jpg (102.18 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Attachments
Car05.zip
(538.37 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

WOW! So it CAN still be done with the proper software. Thank you SO much for this valuable information alarduran. However, from all I read about 3DS Max, it's extremely costly and pretty much out of the question for me and others to pursue. With that said, here's what I did last night. I need to find out if I'm on the right track to another method, or if I'm wasting my time.

Please bear in mind that I know nothing about 3D graphics programs or even what I'm talking about. I don't even know how to ask questions properly. But I'll try to get my thoughts out well enough that perhaps someone knowledgeable might be able to figure out what I'm trying to learn.

I watched several YouTube tutorials on the simple basics of using Blender 2.79. I chose 2.79 because SLucey, being somewhat experienced with Blender, mentioned it still supported the XYZ file types. (if I understood him correctly)

By the way, here is a link to download every Blender version made so far.
https://download.blender.org/release/

At this point I will be making some assumptions.

I downloaded and looked at 4 different versions of Blender. I was looking specifically at the "User Preferences"/Export menus to see if any of them could export to XYZ. I looked back as far as 2010 versions that support Windows 64 bit. My thinking was, the older the version was, the more compatible it might be with the older APCD software. None of them did, so now I assume that 3D objects needed to be converted from a specific file format to an XYZ format by using the Links Extender.

While looking for more YouTube tutorials that may speak on EXPORTING, I stumbled across a whole new world of things that I had no idea even existed. I felt like a kid in a candy shop, and spend a couple of hours pouring thru a site that offers FREE 3D creations made by 3D enthusiasts. There is a GOLD MINE of FREE 3D objects available for download at some of these free sites. Immediately I began thinking that it might be possible to simply download the ones that might be useful in the APCD. Since a lot of free 3D cars are being made available, I stuck with looking at and downloading a bunch of them for possible experimentation. Here's where I ran into, and what brings up my questions (if I can figure out how to ask them correctly) :laugh:

Here is the FREE 3D OBJECT site where I found the cars.
https://free3d.com/3d-models/blender

I started thinking rather than to waste weeks or months creating my own 3D objects, it might be better to download some of these and figure out a way to IMPORT them into the APCD using Blender, perhaps in the same way that alarduran showed us can be down with 3DsMax.

They come in various file size and details, so I tried to make sure I only got the ones small enough so as not to make the CRZ grow to unusable sizes. However, they show the file formats they are compatible with, but that's the part I don't understand. I don't know which formats would be usable for the APCD.

I also thought that it was likely possible to download a specific format type, (such as an object created by 3Ds Max) and import them into Blender, and then use blender to convert them to Blender file types that could then be converted in the Links Extender to usable APCD 3D objects. ???
At least that's what I came away thinking. If so then a person might be able to download a free specific file type and use Blender to eventually get them into the APCD. Therein lies my questions. I'll try to ask them so they make sense.

For those of us that don't have 3Ds Max, what file format type would need to be downloaded that can be converted into Blender file format types?

Can Blender file types (or any of the available file type) be converted into the XYZ format using the Links Extender?

Most of these free objects are available in multiple file formats. Are some of them already in the correct format so as to be used in Blender without need to convert them? If so, which format would we have to download?

Hopefully I have somehow managed to get my ideas thru to someone that can clear up my thinking on this subject. There are SO MANY 3D objects available for download that there should be no need to create our own. IF we can figure out the proper way to get them into the APCD, like alarduran just showed us can be done. (but without using 3Ds Max)

I would even be willing to purchase some of them, such as the 3D hedges that cost less than 10 dollars. There are cars, trucks, trains, buildings of all size and even 3D OCEANS out there, and very small in file size. I have so many ideas and thoughts running thru my mind on this stuff, I would LOVE to find out if we can actually put some of it to use in our courses. If you spend some time looking at these 3D objects, you will understand what I mean.

Please, any ideas or help with this would be extremely valuable to move this old APCD, and our courses, into a more modern world. We could actually fill in cityscapes, hotels, parking garages, houses, automobiles and other objects, without needing to build them by hand. IF we can figure out how to move them into the APCD.

Thanks for any input that can be offered. :cheers1: (fingers crossed)

Dan
Completed Courses
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

I don't have enough time for the moment, Lambton is realy time consuming but, maybe a clue with this program :
http://3doc.i3dconverter.com/formats.html
It works with XYZ file format...
Or maybe another 3D converter...
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

LeWAW wrote: May 29th, 2020, 6:28 am I don't have enough time for the moment, Lambton is realy time consuming but, maybe a clue with this program :
http://3doc.i3dconverter.com/formats.html
It works with XYZ file format...
Or maybe another 3D converter...
Thanks LeWAW! :thumbup: I'll take a look and see what I can figure out.

Dan
Completed Courses